Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

After waiting many months for the Nomad cook system to arrive I am very happy with the quality. It has a 9 inch fry pan and a 2 liter boiling pot. I tested it and it will boil a liter of water in 6 minutes. It uses a reactor plate and each pan has a built in inductive sytem for even heat. You can set it to use between 200 to 1000 watts which makes it very friendly for on board car inverters as well as power banks. Non stick coating on the pans and comes with a single lid and a very robust detachable handle. Only short coming I can see is that it did not come with a pack bag,

Reactions: Blu12T and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
After waiting many months for the Nomad cook system to arrive I am very happy with the quality. It has a 9 inch fry pan and a 2 liter boiling pot. I tested it and it will boil a liter of water in 6 minutes. It uses a reactor plate and each pan has a built in inductive sytem for even heat. You can set it to use between 200 to 1000 watts which makes it very friendly for on board car inverters as well as power banks. Non stick coating on the pans and comes with a single lid and a very robust detachable handle. Only short coming I can see is that it did not come with a pack bag,
Any chance you could post some pictures, I am curious about this.

Reactions: KonzaLander

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Looks like a neat system. I am curious though if you have, say a 400 watt inverter, can you still get the pan hot enough to sear?

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I have not used mine yet but my son did get out last week with his and cooked up some steaks and made some cobbler in the pot and said it worked very well. Very easy to clean also.

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Stokes reached out to me and they are sending out a carry bag to be included with their systems. You can sear at 400 watts but it does take longer. The pot will bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in about 3 minutes using the 1000 watt setting.

Reactions: Downs and danwyandt

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I used it on a recent trip when there was a wood or propane ban due to fire restrictions. It worked great to cook bacon and eggs and used the Stokes kettle to make several pots of coffee. Great small footprint it worked great.IMG_3603.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: KS_Explorer

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Builder I

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I used it on a recent trip when there was a wood or propane ban due to fire restrictions. It worked great to cook bacon and eggs and used the Stokes kettle to make several pots of coffee. Great small footprint it worked great.View attachment 283510
How many Amp Hours is your battery/generator? How many meals can you cook with it? Does the Stoke cook as well as a gas stove? That Stoke system is interesting.

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I have used a Bluetti AC180 with good luck. I recently upgraded to a Pecron E3600 which has over more capacity and a bigger inverter. I have 400 watt solar and a 500 amp Pecron direct DC charger on the vehicle. ELectric power is not a concern for me now. I have stopped carrying any propane. I also carry a inductive cook top but never use it anymore. I also recently found a Kick ASS small portable electric grill that is working very well.

Reactions: Dave in AZ

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Builder I

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I have used a Bluetti AC180 with good luck. I recently upgraded to a Pecron E3600 which has over more capacity and a bigger inverter. I have 400 watt solar and a 500 amp Pecron direct DC charger on the vehicle. ELectric power is not a concern for me now. I have stopped carrying any propane. I also carry a inductive cook top but never use it anymore. I also recently found a Kick ASS small portable electric grill that is working very well.
I was just looking at that electric grill on their site a few minutes ago. It is good to hear someone here has tried it out.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
Nice, first person I've heard has the Pecron 3600, whichbreally sounds good. I Have their e1500LFP and 500W car charger, then I carry a 1280wh LFP, i.e. 12v 100Ah, that I use as an expansion battery for 2816 total Watt-hrs. I'm using a duxtop 9600LS induction, experimenting with it.

I went to nomad site, they are very shy to explain what it actually is, read whole site and still don't know. Is it INDUCTION, or is it like an electric kettle with built in resistive heating element? All their terms are clever marketing non-standard and non-recognized meanongless terms like "reactor base", which tell me nothing.

Is this two electric frypans and a power hookup base? Or is it an induction base and two shaped iron based pans that jeat that way? Or do the pans actually have part of the induction ring somehow built into them?... it says normal pans work but not recommended, so I don't believe the pans have any tech in them, just a shaped bottom that fits on an induction base.

Their concerted effort to use made up jargon and talk around what their system is, makes me leery of trusting them...

Last edited:

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

The Stokes pans lock into the heating base and I do believe the pans hold the heating elements. One is a pot and one is a frying pan. You can vary the wattage used on the heating base. I have cooked everything from cakes to steaks on the system with good results. Other pans will not work with the Stokes and it is a good setup for 2 people. I cooked 4 burgers at one time yesterday on the Kick Ass grill and it works well. It heats the grill up to 240 C or around 475F in about 2 minutes using the 1000 watts and then cuts back to around 600 watts when cooking. On my Pecron 3600 I went from 88% to 82% when cooking the burgers so it is a pretty efficient setup also.

Reactions: Dave in AZ