Starlink for Overlanding Build & Mods

• HTML tutorial

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Couldn't find another dedicated Starlink thread, so please pull this if I missed, but it seems time to address this topic.

Let's start by recognizing that those of us in the US are quite privileged to live in a country where something like Starlink is even allowed and where the freedom to use it, or not, is a matter of individual choice. Let's also choose to ignore the inevitable trolls lamenting the demise of whatever it is they think Starlink and LEO based internet services destroy, and instead let their posts go by like a tree falling in the woods.

OK, on to the useful bits. First, if you are interested, there is this site: Starlink for Overlanders which is a treasure trove of useful info related to implementing Starlink for overlanding. The author seems quiite knowledgeable and competent and updates his findings fairly frequently as of this post (29-Apr-2022). Good place to start if you have a mind to do something like this.

Next, I'll fess up to being fairly incompetent and ignorant about most things, especially Starlink and the build I have in mind. It will be crap compared to what most others will likely do, but we have to start the conversation somewhere, and I'll gladly take the slings and arrows pointing out my errors and lack of mechanical ability.

I live in the Bay Area of CA and placed my initial Starlink order about a year ago (7-Apr-2021). Being in the midst of Geekville, USA I wasn't surprised to learn that Starlink estimated my earliest delivery at end-2022. They even sent an update at the beginning of 2022 saying they know it is taking a long time and that I was welcome to cancel and get my deposit back, but the target delivery date was still late 2022, early 2023.

So, I was surprised to get another email on 19-Apr-2022 saying my order was ready to confirm, and elated when my "toy box" arrived earlier this week. Here's what you get:

Starlink Bits and Overhaul HD .jpg

One cardboard box and associated packing material, one dish with long 8-wire lead to connect to included router, one shortish power cord that also connects to the router, and the following "documentation":

Starlink Documentation in Box.jpg

Behind the bits is my rig, a 2021 Ford F'n Ranger, with one Yakima Overhaul HD rack, where the dish will be mounted. The build will involve something like the following:

1) Hook the initially supplied bits up to make sure they work before I get to butchering them for the install.
2) Butcher the Starlink bits by shortening the 8-wire cord to a suitable length and cutting a hole into the back of the dish to disconnect the arm motor.
3) Build a minimally suitable tray and associated supports to mount the dish to the rack.
4) Test out the router to see if placing it inside the truck will work for campsite/trailer access or if I need to be prepared for moving it between truck and trailer.
5) Build one or more mounts for the router.

Costs so far:

1) Starlink bits shipped to house - $99 deposit plus $554.66, so $653.66
2) Agreement to pay $110/mo starting early May.
3) $17.73 for some T-bolts, nuts & washers that I hope will work with my Overhaul bars, else I may have to drill (earliest delivery of correct Yakima part is August-2022).

That's it for now, more to come!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Interested to hear how your experience goes. Do you know if the cable passes RF or just plain old digital data? If it passes RF hacking the cable could be a can of worms. Not saying it cannot be done but RF cables present a whole can of worms and I would guess that most folks won't have the knowledge to do the job correctly and that could affect overall performance. I'd also be worried about wind hitting the antenna and the motor is probably there for a reason. Not saying that any of this cannot be done but seems like a good way to "void your warranty" and end up with junk. I used to work in satcom and have not read the article that you attached but I'd be very wary.

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Thanks for the input. Here are a couple of pics of the trial run. Dish is on top of the container in front of our house, and Speedtest - 214 down, 12 up, 40ms latency, 5ms jitter - better than I expected.

Container.jpg

Speedtest.jpg

Now ordering/buying the mobile installation bits.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Looking at the starlink map it looks like there is connection anywhere in the US, Canada and Mexico. But some areas have too many people for the current system and will need more sattellites. Most plaxed I frequent are open, getting the sattelite above the trees seems to be the problem.

Reactions: Ubiety

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I love it and want ti, concern is no price lock, so we could get increases all the time.... Already went from 99 to 110 a month.... But it is awesome.....

Here is a very nice short video about the system from "Vanners":

Jim

Reactions: ProtonDecay

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
ProtonDecay Can you post pics of how you mount it when finished please? You going to do a pole option?

Jim

Reactions: ProtonDecay

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
ProtonDecay Can you post pics of how you mount it when finished please? You going to do a pole option?

Jim
Hi Jim, yes - lots of pics along the way, even my screw-ups :-) .

Yesterday and last night was unpacking and learning the app. Pretty decent UI. Even with the dish up against the olive treee (see earlier pic) I was able to hold a one hour Google Meets call with a buddy in Sparks, NV with no complete losses and only a few seconds of frozen frames. So, my dream of becoming independently wealthy by live streaming our mistakes lives on!

Today I'll buy/order a few bits to start the mount build.

Re a pole mount, we do have a WeBoost Destination RV setup that we've been quite happy with for the last year, and it has a 25' mast, but after playing around a bit yesterday and reading up more it turns out that fully unobstructed sky is not really required. It seems that as more satellites come online the coverage areas increasingly overlap, and the "window" of open sky required decreases (the app will report within a couple of minutes of if it is too obstructed). Right now I am thinking the combination of truck-bed mount and the ability to place the dish on its stand up to 100' away should be adequate. We couldn't think of anyplace we've been able to drag the trailer that there wasn't some decent sky view within 100'.

More once I start the build.

Reactions: Jim SoG

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Something to keep in mind is that, currently, Starlink is not really a viable option for overlanding/mobile use outside of the Starlink zone you're in. By default, roaming is disabled which means as soon as you leave your zone you have no service regardless of the fact that there is signal. You probably know this already as it's also talked about in the link provided in the original post, but wanted to make sure and mention it so people know what to expect. I do tech work from home and would love to have decent internet out in the middle of nowhere since I can work anywhere that has reliable internet, so this is definitely something I'm interested in and will be watching this thread to see how it goes. Once roaming/portability is working well then that will really open up not only travel options but also where we can live.

Reactions: Ubiety

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Something to keep in mind is that, currently, Starlink is not really a viable option for overlanding/mobile use outside of the Starlink zone you're in. By default, roaming is disabled which means as soon as you leave your zone you have no service regardless of the fact that there is signal. You probably know this already as it's also talked about in the link provided in the original post, but wanted to make sure and mention it so people know what to expect. I do tech work from home and would love to have decent internet out in the middle of nowhere since I can work anywhere that has reliable internet, so this is definitely something I'm interested in and will be watching this thread to see how it goes. Once roaming/portability is working well then that will really open up not only travel options but also where we can live.
:hushed:

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
One user's experience (different dishes between Canada and US/Mexico):

1651375301119.png

And this update from Starlink back in March:

SERVICE PORTABILITY.

Secondary Service Locations. If the portability feature (“Portability”) is available in your region, you may relocate your Kit and access Services at locations outside your registered Service address on your account (“Secondary Location(s)”). Service at Secondary Locations will be best effort and users may see slower speeds during times of network congestion. Starlink does not support in motion or mobility Services. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the Limited Warranty of your Kit. Visit Help Center to verify if Portability is supported in a region.

Limitations and Requirements. Starlink does not guarantee when or where Portability will be available. Portability is dependent on many factors, including obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals. You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for (a) understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations associated with your use of Portability Services and the Kit; and (b) stopping use of the Portability Services or Kit if you are in an unsupported geographic location. At its sole discretion, Starlink may update the primary address registered on your account along with invoicing requirements if you use Services at a Secondary Location for an extended period.

Here is the offical SpaceX Starlink availablity map: Starlink

This is what at least some users who are now enjoying Service Portability often see when they are not in their registered location (unexpected location = true, roaming = true):

1651375713751.png

Reactions: DRAX

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Still doing design on the build, but also spending a bit of time learning more about the current status of Starlink and capabilities.

Here's a link to a great video that interviews two Starlink users who have Roaming enabled.

And here's a snapshot of my debug data showing Roaming = true.

1651450520611.png

So, fingers crossed that this will be true for most, if not all, new users going forward. Can hardly wait to test it out someplace other than my front yard, but I want to get the overlan build done first.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Here is a pretty cool link. If you navigate with a desktop (sorry, doesn't work on mobile) and set your Home Location (mine is South Bay, CA), then it will show which satellites are "in view" and their path of motion. Really interesting that a given only connects to my dishy for a minute or so before being supplanted by a another, better one. Of course, increasingly more satellites are being launched each month and then coming online a few months later....

1651611885383.png

Reactions: DRAX

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Is there any sort of price (monthly) lock?

Jim
Yes. I believe about $100/Mo. This model makes sense for anything requiring ongoing support. Other option is charging $5,000 for the dish. Would be super expensive up front. I know some would prefer to go that route.

Regarding roaming, I can say it just seemed to work.

Really slick stuff. Indeed a game-changer.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I need to second Michaels comments about how it worked. It was seamless, and not that you want great internet when your in the middle of nowhere but it was great to get work done.

Thanks @Kelly for sharing!!