Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Gustavo,
We need to continue our conversation about South America, hopefully I will have something for you in about a month.

Any chance you could get me the GPX file and description for this track? I would love to put it on the OB1 app.
Hi Kent, sure. I will try to find it. I don't save all my tracks. But I believe this one is in my Gaia. Do you want that I submit it by OB app?
About your news, I still looking forward to hearing you!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Kent, sure. I will try to find it. I don't save all my tracks. But I believe this one is in my Gaia. Do you want that I submit it by OB app?
About your news, I still looking forward to hearing you!
I would greatly appreciate any track you can add to the app.

I will be in touch about our other conversation probably next month.

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

In a remote area up to the Andes Mountains, are two abandoned train stations. The name is "06" and "Caipe". Both of them have a similar history. They are abandoned around 1970 when the mines in that area were closed by the Argentinian government. In the ruins, you find, smell, and see the History. A lot of documents are still there (bills, duplicates, money orders…). Some of them are manuscripts. It's amazing and so difficult to explain the sensation that kind of places incite us. In the next two posts, some pics of "06" and "Caipe".
IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0072.jpgIMG_0174.jpgIMG_0240.jpgIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0166.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Gustavo,
Once again some great photos
Thanks

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

have to look in to the possibility of chipping over the rig
WBR
Bengt
Hi Bengt! are you speaking seriously?

If you are really considering it, you probably know that after the Pandemic times, the price of the containers raised-up a lot. The ro-ro too!

To ship it from Europe to South America, I believe the cheapest ports in SA are Montevideo (Uruguai) and Cartagena (Colombia). If you do your research, please, share the results with us here!

As you probably know, with your Def110 you will feel at home in South America (especially in Brazil)! We have here an extraordinary community of Def owners! All of them are crazy for their rigs. You will not feel alone! :tearsofjoy: :hearteyes:

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

have to look in to the possibility of chipping over the rig
WBR
Bengt
Hi Bengt! are you speaking seriously?

If you are really considering it, you probably know that after the Pandemic times, the price of the containers raised-up a lot. The ro-ro too!

To ship it from Europe to South America, I believe the cheapest ports in SA are Montevideo (Uruguai) and Cartagena (Colombia). If you do your research, please, share the results with us here!

As you probably know, with your Def110 you will feel at home in South America (especially in Brazil)! We have here an extraordinary community of Def owners! All of them are crazy for their rigs. You will not feel alone! :tearsofjoy: :hearteyes:
I’m serious
But in a few years time
Thanks for the info
WBR
Bengt

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great photos @Gustavo Amaral Thanks for sharing.

I have cancelled my pre-booking for RoRo, which I had for this year, because - as we had already discussed - it will not be possible to travel as a passenger with Grimaldi on the Europe - South America route this year (nor with ACL on the Europe - North America route, by the way). However, for me this is a basic requirement for this shipping. Let's see what is next year.

Bjoern

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Great photos @Gustavo Amaral Thanks for sharing.

I have cancelled my pre-booking for RoRo, which I had for this year, because - as we had already discussed - it will not be possible to travel as a passenger with Grimaldi on the Europe - South America route this year (nor with ACL on the Europe - North America route, by the way). However, for me this is a basic requirement for this shipping. Let's see what is next year.

Bjoern
what a pity Bjoern! I'm looking forward to seeing you enjoying our South America next year!

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

In this post "Mina Casualidad" and "Mina Julia".

Mina La Casualidad
is a ghost town where more than 3,000 people lived until 1973. In fact it's not a "mine", but the first stage of clearing the sulfur extracted from "Mina Julia", 25 km up mountains froom there.

In this city lives alone one dog. His friend died and is still there mummified.

It's a stunning place to visit and imagine how was the life of the people who lived there. We read some emotional testimonials in the book at the church…

It was an amaizing expirience!
IMG_0261.jpgIMG_0263.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0459.jpgIMG_0419.jpgIMG_9851D.jpgIMG_0553.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

On this stretch we access really remote locations in the Andes Mountains.
In total it was 686 km (427 miles) without any gas stations, convenience stores, etc. 2 days traveling in this area.
Nobody was seen! :hearteyes: Just us and nature. it was an amazing trip!
Again, I claim for your patience with the editor! :sweatsmile:

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Gustavo. Thank you for sharing all your pictures and videos. The pictures of the train station remind me of ones we saw in Namibia.

Do you have any suggestions of where we can rent an overlanding rig in either Argentina or Chile next February. We are going to ANTARTICA and want to spend a couple of weeks getting a taste of that beautiful region before that trip.
Gracias.