Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

All geological eras exposed in one place! Ischigualasto Provincial Park, a UNESCO world heritage site in Argentina. Impressive spot and less-visited them other less interesting places. Check these perfectly spherical rocks! The name of this area is "bocce court". It's awesome!!!

IMG_9228.jpg
IMG_9219.jpg
IMG_9220.jpg
IMG_9237.jpg
IMG_9234.jpgIMG_9251.jpgIMG_9247.jpg
IMG_9255.jpg

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

All geological eras exposed in one place! Ischigualasto Provincial Park, a UNESCO world heritage site in Argentina. Impressive spot and less-visited them other less interesting places. Check these perfectly spherical rocks! The name of this area is "bocce court". It's awesome!!!

View attachment 152881
View attachment 152879
View attachment 152880
View attachment 152883
View attachment 152882View attachment 152884View attachment 152886
View attachment 152887
Beautiful pictures as always, Gustavo. You're not helping with my Fernweh ;-)

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Tks Rolando! I hope you can hit the road ASAP! The PanAm route is "short" and fun! ;-)
Well, there will be some more time until then - 2 kids in college, in between switching jobs
(read: have success and establish yourself first), and then selling the house, etc etc. And I heard that learning Spanish would be helpful too ;-)

My guess is that it takes half a year to a year for the trip itself to not stress yourself out on the Pan-Am, a timeframe that wants to be planned.

But either way, keep the pictures coming :-)

And if you ever make it to North America, let me know...

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Well, there will be some more time until then - 2 kids in college, in between switching jobs
(read: have success and establish yourself first), and then selling the house, etc. And I heard that learning Spanish would be helpful too ;-)

My guess is that it takes half a year to a year for the trip itself to not stress yourself out on the Pan-Am, a timeframe that wants to be planned.

But either way, keep the pictures coming :-)

And if you ever make it to North America, let me know...
hahahah
You are in advance of me! Of our two, only one in college! We visit your country a feel times, but never to overland. One day we will hit the road to see how far Alaska is from here! ;-) Until there, we will be visiting our amazing South America! We keep in touch!

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Conguillío National Park (Chile). Inside there is the Llaima volcano. One of the most active volcanoes in Chile. On 01/01/2008 (last eruption) it spat a 3.000m column of smoke, displacing entire communities that live around them. Thos pictures were taken exactly 12 years after that (on (01/01/2020). It's an amazing spot, with nices campgrounds.

DSC00747.jpgIMG_9335.jpgDSC00763.jpgDSC00777.jpgIMG_2197.jpgDSC00762.jpgIMG_9272.jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Wow, beautiful pictures of stunning landscapes. Thanks for sharing!

Gustavo, Could you tell more about the current situation in South America, please? Any indication that things are gradualy moving upwards? When do you think overlanding South America would be possible again? I like more to rely on poeple like you who are onsite than folliwng the media, you know.

Thank you!

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Gustavo, Could you tell more about the current situation in South America, please? Any indication that things are gradualy moving upwards? When do you think overlanding South America would be possible again? I like more to rely on poeple like you who are onsite than folliwng the media, you know.

Thank you!
Hi Bjoern,
I agree. I trust more in local people them media!
Here in Brazil, you can travel by land without difficulties, even tho some of the best places to overland are closed (National Parks, etc.). I don't recommend you come to South America now. Argentine and Chile are closed and, if I'm not mistaken, all South America borders (except Brazil) are closed too. Maybe next year all things are better. If you will come to SA, fell free to contact me for tips, routes, etc. It will be a pleasure to help you with your plans!

Reactions: El-Dracho

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Looks like a great trip. How much of it was dirt tracks versus paved highway? Any must see places more towards the west coast of Chile? I am keeping a bucket list of places to check out when we do the panam in a few years.
Jason
I suggest that you stay off the Panamericana - it's often boring, has a lot of slow truck traffic, and lots of loose bolts, nails, etc., to puncture your tyres. Use the minor roads, get into the sierras and deserts, and if you go far enough, into the rain forest. This is not a blanket recommendation - there are interesting cities, towns, and other places to visit, and some parts of the highway offer great scenery, however if you want to experience the continent spend a lot more of your time off the Panamericana than on.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia

Thank you!
As Gustavo says - it's not possible to travel the majority of South America right now. For example, we're not allowed out of our home for anything other than essential purposes - food, medical, other essntials. Some people are permitted to travel by road but need an authorisation letter stating the "essential purpose of travel". Borders are closed, parks are closed, museums are closed. Overlanding is not even remotely possible. More to the point, Covid-19 is peaking all over SA; personally I wouldn't think of any travel yet.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Looks like a great trip. How much of it was dirt tracks versus paved highway? Any must see places more towards the west coast of Chile? I am keeping a bucket list of places to check out when we do the panam in a few years.
Jason
I suggest that you stay off the Panamericana - it's often boring, has a lot of slow truck traffic, and lots of loose bolts, nails, etc., to puncture your tyres. Use the minor roads, get into the sierras and deserts, and if you go far enough, into the rain forest. This is not a blanket recommendation - there are interesting cities, towns, and other places to visit, and some parts of the highway offer great scenery, however if you want to experience the continent spend a lot more of your time off the Panamericana than on.
I agree 100%!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank your guys for all the useful information. Let´s see how the situation evolves in the next months.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #