Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pittsburgh
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Reager
Member #

I’m selling my Montero SR overland rig. I’ll continue to add details and photos when I can.

Asking price: $9,000 (entertaining offers)

Walk-around video >

Here are the basics:
  • 1998 Montero SR 3.0l 6G72 Puerto Rico/Guam Spec
  • 73,000-ish miles
  • Non-smoker
  • Wide fender LWB
  • Navy blue and silver
  • Clean cloth interior :sunglasses: (not typical leather)
  • Power windows
  • 3rd row seats (left side currently removed)
  • Factory 4.875 rear diff gears :sunglasses:
  • No rear locker
    • I believe it's partially prewired if you were ever to install the factory locker.
  • No roof rails, no holes in roof :sunglasses: (PR/GU spec didn't come with them)
  • LED headlight bulbs (bright!)
  • Kenwood KDC-355U stereo head-unit (specs)
    • Detachable face
    • Single CD, MPG/WMA
    • USB port (iPod/iPhone etc.)
    • 3.5 mm audio jack
    • Pandora and SiriusXM ready
    • Remote control
  • Working and functional factory spare tire locking lug nut (uses vehicle key)
  • Full-sized matching spare wheel and tire
Items done at about 65,500 miles:
  • Cooper Tire Discoverer AT3 235/85R16 on factory “snowflake” Montero alloys (x5)
  • Bilstein B6 4600 series with all new OEM hardware (all 4 corners)
  • Brakes (calipers, rotors, pads, fronts upgraded/converted to larger Montero Sport size)
  • Front wheel bearings/races
  • Full timing service kit (belt, tensioner, roller, gaskets, water pump, hydraulic tensioner)
  • Updated OEM crank pulley bolt
  • Rear main seals
  • Head gaskets
  • Spark plugs (NGK 6741 Laser Iridium)
  • Spark plug wires (NGK MX100)
  • Oil/filter change
  • K&N drop-in air filter
  • OEM radiator cap
  • SuperStart Platinum AGM starter battery (750 CCA, made by Deka/EastPenn)
  • Moog rear sway bar end links (both sides)
  • Moog idler arm
  • Waterproof digital volt meter and dual-USB port (center console cigarette lighter conversion, inline fused)
  • WeatherTech AVM front floor mats, single second row pass-over mat, trunk/cargo liner
  • Interior LEDs (front map lights, dome light, door cards, trunk/cargo
  • Bright LED reverse bulbs
  • Yakima LoadWarrior roof basket w/faring on 1A Rain Gutter Towers and round bars
    • See details on rack below
  • Vinyl spare tire cover
    • Still have plastic factory one to include
  • Both rear wheel center cap spring clips
Other things done:
  • Siberian Bushing polyurethane front sway bar bushing kit
  • Custom front bumper sand-flag mount bracket
  • Deleted exterior side steps (much more body clearance)
    • Still have them to include
  • 5-wheel rotation after about 5K miles
  • Elbow Friend on both front door arm-rests
  • New starter battery warranty replacement at about 72,000-ish miles
  • Hella Supertones installed 6/21/2020
Spare parts:
  • New OEM radiator cap
  • New Moog rear sway bar end link
  • New OEM overhead "oh shit" handle (intended on installing it on driver's side)
This truck was purchased as a purpose-built overland rig for 85% of the time when we can get out on trips, the rest of the time simply utility for around the house and family. In other words, it’s not a daily driver. We got it out on a 5,000 mile US overland trip last summer—our very first overland trip. The reason why I want to sell it is my family is getting ready to try something newer with creature comforts, and we want to go back to a 2-vehicle family. This truck really is more of a blank-slate rather than a full-on build. No fridge, no bastardized interior or wiring, no major mods. It’s fairly stock, which I think a lot of people prefer—including myself. It’s a great starter rig (it is my first) or one to build up all crazy—whatever your thing is.

I love this truck A LOT, and I put a lot of money and time in it to prep for long, safe trip for the family last year. I can show you work receipts if requested. Sad to let it go plus having a 3rd vehicle is nice, but it's unnecessary for us at the moment.

About the roof rack:
I originally had it set up with 4 bars and 2 LoadWarrior basket extensions and it was quite nice (see pics) except for one thing, the rear-most basket brackets would tap and rub on the roof on bumps and rough terrain since it was practically touching. I've since reconfigured it to 3 bars and one extension, and threw a couple coats of paint where the bracket wore down the factory paint and primer. The rack is considered a separate purchase for reasons I can't explain here. However, 2 crossbars and 4 1A towers are spoken for already. That means I'll have all of this for sale too: LoadWarrior basket w/faring, two basket extensions, 2 crossbars w/4 towers, 4 accessory load bars (2 unused), shovel/axe mount, light mounting brackets (unused), and a bunch of spare parts. I can talk to you offline if you're interested in the rack and bits.

Note about exterior factory paint:
What you see in the photos is how it was when I purchased it. In a previous life if must have been parked under something where acidic water (or something like bird poop) dripped on it w/o being washed off. You can tell by the permanent running drip parts where the clear-coat is gone.

FYI: This is also posted on other forums.

Attachments

Last edited:

d*rock

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pittsburgh
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Reager
Member #

UPDATE! Two things: 1) I now have the AutoCheck report—it's clean! Let me know if you would like to see it. It turns out I'm the 2nd owner. :sunglasses: 2) I made a long walk-around video that might be a bit boring, but it's fairly in-depth. It's my first video so take it easy on me.:wink:

d*rock

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pittsburgh
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Reager
Member #

Still for sale! Update: greased all zirks, and added Hella Supertones—pics coming soon. Why, you ask? I got them for a great price and I was anxious to work on an automobile—it's a hobby, I guess. I ended up having to make a custom bracket since the Supertones are way bigger than OEM horns. But now the horn sound isn't so wimpy and will now get attention, which is what it's supposed to do.