Solar Panel Open Discussion/Debate/Review | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Solar Panel Open Discussion/Debate/Review

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Lanlubber

Rank V

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You claim it's expensive, but what about used solar equipment?
Yes, solar panels do lose their power over the years. But with a lifespan of up to 20-40 years, a solar battery that has worked for 5-10 years can still serve a new owner. Especially considering that the typical capacity degradation is only 0.5% per year.
Yes you are correct. Santan solar out of Tuscan Az. Has solar panels as cheap as $50. The cost of shipping is another story. I would plan a trip to Az and pick them up while enjoying an adventure, two birds with one stone as they say.

Uberbob102000

Rank 0

Contributor I

Washington State
First Name
Uber
Last Name
Bob
Everything you see on the smartphone screen plus HISTORY and TRENDS.
You can also setup smart networks between various Victron devices, say if you have a DC-DC charger, MPPT charger and a SmartShunt, they can all communicate. Granted this is still in development, so as of right now it's mainly the SmartShunt and MPPT SmartSolar controllers.

Reactions: SpongeSue

phxdsrtrat

Rank V

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

So, as someone who converted his rig from a high quality AGM 100Ah battery to a 100Ah LiFEPO4 system. So, would I switch back? No. I had to convert all my chargers (solar, DC to DC and AC Converter) . So, keep that in mind. Different battery chemistries have different requirements. Anyways...

A 100Ah AGM battery that you can only drain down to 50% may yield far more than than that 50Ah. If your draw is fairly low, an old fashioned AGM will provide far more than its rated discharge.
A 100Ah LiFEPO4 is EXACTLY as advertised. Low load, high load, you get 100Ah.

So, theoretically an AGM can work for you if your Ah draw is low at a far lower cost. If you have higher Ah draws, like my wife's waffle maker LiFEPO4 is better.

I'm only throwing this out there because I rarely see this mentioned. Your mileage may vary.

-Curtiss

Reactions: old_man