Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

My Jackery 500 arrived two days ago. It came charged at 29%. Took about 6 hours to charge to 100%. I've been testing my gear and logging the start and end time to measure the Jackery's output longevity so I'll have a baseline of knowledge when I am out in the field. I ran a Wagan 24 Liter Electric Fridge/Warmer on DC and it depleted the Jackery to 16% after 7 hours. The Jackery output display was at 57W or 58W the entire time. Eventually, I will buy a Dometic Fridge, which should draw less power. Overall, the Jackery is stable.

Reactions: NV Badlands

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yeah if money isn't an option that's a pretty good kit, like the compactness of it but you can do the same in regular solar panels for less than $300!

Last edited:

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

I used my Jackery 500W at Overland Expo East. It powered the Dometic CFX40 and my smartphone. It was sunny on Friday and the solar panels brought the Jackery 500W back up to 100%. The Jackery powered everything until Sunday afternoon and was at 46% when I turned it off.

Reactions: Viking1204

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Yesterday I completed a solar panel install on top my pop-up camper, using a SunflareSolar flexible panel and a Victron charge controller. The Victron controller powers a Powerworx PWRbox with an automotive 12V socket and two USB ports. Everything works.
The Victron controller has a smartphone app too.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yesterday I completed a solar panel install on top my pop-up camper, using a SunflareSolar flexible panel and a Victron charge controller. The Victron controller powers a Powerworx PWRbox with an automotive 12V socket and two USB ports. Everything works.
The Victron controller has a smartphone app too.
Cool! The smartphone app sounds interesting. What functions and features do you have wit that?

Thanks,
Bjoern

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah if money isn't an option that's a pretty good kit, like the compactness of it but you can do the same in regular solar panels for less than $300!
Dang it, why is money always the controlling factor of everything ? The good thing I've seen here in OB is the inventiveness of members to come with something that satisfies their needs with out a lot of overly expensive items and bullying from the galley of the viewers (at least most of the time) ! I like how we discuss the possibilities and functional satisfaction of what we have. :relieved:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Dang it, why is money always the controlling factor of everything ? The good thing I've seen here in OB is the inventiveness of members to come with something that satisfies their needs with out a lot of overly expensive items and bullying from the galley of the viewers (at least most of the time) ! I like how we discuss the possibilities and functional satisfaction of what we have. :relieved:
Pretty simple for me, I have about 12 years until I plan to retire and hell or high water I am going to be debt free before I retire!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Pretty simple for me, I have about 12 years until I plan to retire and hell or high water I am going to be debt free before I retire!
It's really almost necessary to be debt free at or before retirement. It takes a lot of money to retire because you are building another life style with different needs. It takes 4 times more money for me now than it did when I retired 22 years ago. I used up retirement funds 10 years ago.

Reactions: Viking1204

SpongeSue

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Orleans, Луизиана, США
First Name
SpongeSue
Last Name
SpongeSue
You claim it's expensive, but what about used solar equipment?
Yes, solar panels do lose their power over the years. But with a lifespan of up to 20-40 years, a solar battery that has worked for 5-10 years can still serve a new owner. Especially considering that the typical capacity degradation is only 0.5% per year.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Two of my panels are used. There was a place near me that would buy panels from solar farms. High end 25 year panels, 3-5 years old for cheap. I don't remember the number but, the amount of degradation in 20 years wont be significant in my use. My panels would have cost me over $300 each new and I paid $85. I can deal with that.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yes, solar panels do lose their power over the years. But with a lifespan of up to 20-40 years, a solar battery that has worked for 5-10 years can still serve a new owner. Especially considering that the typical capacity degradation is only 0.5% per year.
Two of my panels are used. There was a place near me that would buy panels from solar farms. High end 25 year panels, 3-5 years old for cheap. I don't remember the number but, the amount of degradation in 20 years wont be significant in my use. My panels would have cost me over $300 each new and I paid $85. I can deal with that.
With the rate of improvement in technology, especially in the field of solar, it is definitely to one's advantage to shop around for used solar gear.

There is a rush recently for flat flexible panels; which means that perfectly good framed panels with good cells of high efficiency are available used for less than cost; often way less than cost.

It pays to know what you're buying, who makes the cells and panels, and how you're going to use them.

As someone who experiences a variety of solar needs and situations, from adventuring in different camp environments from highly shaded to open exposure, to rig parked for long periods, the ability to move my panels accordingly maximizes my potential solar gain.

Used solar gear, among many other types of gear right now during the huge rush to outdoor adventuring because of the pandemic, can be a great buy, IF you know what you're purchasing.

Here's a good guide to solar cell mfgs:

Keep in mind that a lot of vendors of finished panels to the outdoor/adventuring market outsource their needs (they do not make them themselves) and what they sell one year may not be the same panel as the next year.

Right now, and for the last few years, the Sunpower Maxeon cells are the most efficient in gain and pulling power from partially shaded panels. Dig deep, when researching, as vendors don't always list who make their panels.

I love my 120W folding panels (I have two, both made with Sunpower Maxeon cells) , because I can both keep them on the top of my van and trailer when underway or move them around accordingly when camped under canopy (I have about 100' of 10AWG extension of solar cable) to ensure I am keeping my deep cycle batts up to snuff.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes you are correct. Santan solar out of Tuscan Az. Has solar panels as cheap as $50. The cost of shipping is another story. I would plan a trip to Az and pick them up while enjoying an adventure, two birds with one stone as they say.

Uberbob102000

Rank I

Contributor III

Washington State
First Name
Uber
Last Name
Bob
Everything you see on the smartphone screen plus HISTORY and TRENDS.
You can also setup smart networks between various Victron devices, say if you have a DC-DC charger, MPPT charger and a SmartShunt, they can all communicate. Granted this is still in development, so as of right now it's mainly the SmartShunt and MPPT SmartSolar controllers.

Reactions: SpongeSue

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

So, as someone who converted his rig from a high quality AGM 100Ah battery to a 100Ah LiFEPO4 system. So, would I switch back? No. I had to convert all my chargers (solar, DC to DC and AC Converter) . So, keep that in mind. Different battery chemistries have different requirements. Anyways...

A 100Ah AGM battery that you can only drain down to 50% may yield far more than than that 50Ah. If your draw is fairly low, an old fashioned AGM will provide far more than its rated discharge.
A 100Ah LiFEPO4 is EXACTLY as advertised. Low load, high load, you get 100Ah.

So, theoretically an AGM can work for you if your Ah draw is low at a far lower cost. If you have higher Ah draws, like my wife's waffle maker LiFEPO4 is better.

I'm only throwing this out there because I rarely see this mentioned. Your mileage may vary.

-Curtiss

Reactions: old_man

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Hey jimmyjamson, regarding semi-flexible solar panels, Sunflare solar makes a 105W panel and it is excellent. These panels are expensive and they are worth it. I own two of these panels - they're glued to my camper's roof with Sikaflex 291. See links below.

Sunflaresolar

Sikaflex 291

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I am having a solid 100W solar panel with aluminium frame on the roof of the rig for about ten years now. Have mounted this on airline rails. There are extra mounting brackets for this mounting solution available. This works absolutely perfectly for me. There is also no wind noise. Additional height is minimal. The advantage of this mounting is also that the module gets ventilated from underneath, so it doesn't get too warm in the sun (which can affect the performance of the module). Here is a picture of it:

20190714_130248.jpg

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I have limited charging requirements when out so I purchased a Yeti 150 and was lucky enough to get the Nomad 50 panels at a REI garage sale for cheap. The panels fully charge the Yeti pretty quickly *6+ hours and the Yeti lasts with iPhones, iPads, go pro and LED lights for about 2-3 days. The whole caboodle packs down pretty good and is there when I need it. If needed I can charge it up with the 12v while out exploring. With USB extenders and the Klymt light tubes I can get pretty bright for late night camp set ups, checking the rig, cooking or playing games around the camp table.