OB Approved So You Want To Be A HAM? (US Edition)

• HTML tutorial

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've been reading my HAM educational guide. In it they talk about the "community" having a strong tradition of mentoring. If this is a real phenomenon, when should I get a mentor for the learning process. Secondly, where and how do I get one. Should this person be nearby or is distance o'kay.

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

My wife and I recently purchased two hams and the ham book. We are studying for the test but were out of town so often its hard to make it to a test center. Hopefully soon.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Thanks, this thread pushed me over the edge. I've been thinking about getting into ham radio for a couple years, I just ordered a bafong on amazon and am going through an online study guide.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Thanks, this thread pushed me over the edge. I've been thinking about getting into ham radio for a couple years, I just ordered a bafong on amazon and am going through an online study guide.
Which one did you order? I'm looking at getting a handheld before going with something more permanent.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Which one did you order? I'm looking at getting a handheld before going with something more permanent.
The UV5R, I bought one for my buddy too and we've both been pretty happy with them especially since there $26. I know eventually I'll get a portable made by one of the big three manufactures, but for now this radio is great.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

The UV5R, I bought one for my buddy too and we've both been pretty happy with them especially since there $26. I know eventually I'll get a portable made by one of the big three manufactures, but for now this radio is great.
What kind of distance have you been getting out of it. I want to get a mobile rig but to get started and talking with nearby friends ( within 40 miles ) i only need to hit the repeater that is about 1.5 miles away. Just curious on how its been working for you.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

What kind of distance have you been getting out of it. I want to get a mobile rig but to get started and talking with nearby friends ( within 40 miles ) i only need to hit the repeater that is about 1.5 miles away. Just curious on how its been working for you.
I've been able to listen to the local repeater but I'm not sure how far it is. I've also been able to listen to a couple different dispatches for local public services, you shouldn't have any trouble with 1.5 miles.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I've been able to listen to the local repeater but I'm not sure how far it is. I've also been able to listen to a couple different dispatches for local public services, you shouldn't have any trouble with 1.5 miles.
Good to know. I actually sourced a cheap dual band antenna with way more cable then needed. I plan to shorten the cable and mount in attic. Wasn't planning on getting an antenna yet but when its 15 bucks for the antenna cable and adaptor for a ht at a garage sale couldn't pass it up.

Esteban

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chattanooga, TN 37406
Member #

Great thread! I've been looking into how to better communicate between rigs while out on the trail. and while I've had a hand held CB for years, I wanted an upgrade. So I just pulled the trigger on (2) BaoFeng UV‑5R. More often than not I have a friend tag along in their off road jeep or truck, and figured having a radio for them to communicate with is just as important. Can't wait to start playing around.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I've been reading my HAM educational guide. In it they talk about the "community" having a strong tradition of mentoring. If this is a real phenomenon, when should I get a mentor for the learning process. Secondly, where and how do I get one. Should this person be nearby or is distance o'kay.
I think you could to an online mentor/elmer. Or, look at your local county for a ham radio club (most have one.) and go to one of their meetings.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Great thread! I've been looking into how to better communicate between rigs while out on the trail. and while I've had a hand held CB for years, I wanted an upgrade. So I just pulled the trigger on (2) BaoFeng UV‑5R. More often than not I have a friend tag along in their off road jeep or truck, and figured having a radio for them to communicate with is just as important. Can't wait to start playing around.
remember, they will need a license too.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I talked from Bastrop Texas, to the repeater at Hidden Falls Adventure Park outside Marble Falls, TX. According to Google Maps, that's just about 55 miles in a straight line.... That repeater can see about that far in every direction, so potentially 110 miles if the other person was opposite me also at the repeater's coverage edge.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

remember, they will need a license too.
EDIT:

My suggestion about FRS bands has been brought to my attention as being against the law and I have learned something new tonight. So please don't do that.

Last edited:

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I'm writing this as a way to make sure the law in the United States is abundantly clear and also that I'm not casting judgement. I do want to make sure things are laid out clearly in an official thread....

This Post focuses on the idea of "race radios" for Baja Races that occur in Mexico. However the intent extends to using non FRS/GMRS type accepted radio on the FRS or GMRS bands. The same rules that apply in the case of Baja Race Radios, are practically identical to FRS or GMRS radios.

I'm going to add a quote here from the post, which happens to be a quote from the FCC Directly.

FCC response per WB4CS said: As you note, “The rules are clear that in order to use Part 90 or 95 spectrum, the operator must have the correct licensing and certified radios to use those services.” The debate you are referring to, therefore, comes down to “How can we get around the rules?” The answer is, “You can’t.” We will be happy to relieve you of thousands or tens of thousands of dollars and your amateur radio license if you transmit on channels you are not licensed to transmit on.

William

FCC Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
Q: Do I think having FRS/GMRS frequencies programmed into radios you take into the wild is a bad thing?
A: No, I do not.

Q: Do I think transmitting on those frequencies, even at low power when loss of life, or severe injury isn't at risk is ok?

When Life or severe personal injury are the case, All Bets Are Off but otherwise you run afoul the rules and regulations set forth by the FCC, and I can't advocate as such in a public setting without at least making it abundantly clear.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I'm writing this as a way to make sure the law in the United States is abundantly clear and also that I'm not casting judgement. I do want to make sure things are laid out clearly in an official thread....

This Post focuses on the idea of "race radios" for Baja Races that occur in Mexico. However the intent extends to using non FRS/GMRS type accepted radio on the FRS or GMRS bands. The same rules that apply in the case of Baja Race Radios, are practically identical to FRS or GMRS radios.

I'm going to add a quote here from the post, which happens to be a quote from the FCC Directly.

Q: Do I think having FRS/GMRS frequencies programmed into radios you take into the wild is a bad thing?

Q: Do I think transmitting on those frequencies, even at low power when loss of life, or severe injury isn't at risk is ok?

When Life or severe personal injury are the case, All Bets Are Off but otherwise you run afoul the rules and regulations set forth by the FCC, and I can't advocate as such in a public setting without at least making it abundantly clear.
I also double checked the manuals for the two current models of the popular $30 radio and both have (towards the end) warnings that they are not licensed for FRS/GMRS/MURS.

FCC link: https://www.fcc.gov/general/family-radio-service-frs

skidrow

Rank I

Enthusiast I

alabama
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FSH
Awesome post, I have just started with the overloading adventure bug. I would like to state this is a great forum for the beginner and advanced off grid adventure. Planning to be traveling to the west in September on a 15 day 25th wedding anniversary trip outdoors. rig under construction for now thanks for free information that other hams are out there in the west who also wheel.

Dusty,
W4FSH

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

If you do use the Baofang 5VR I believe you can run them on MURS without License but the GMRS license is not expensive and does not require a test.

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

As a general class amateur radio operator I have to put my two cents in here getting your technicians class license is very easy and cheap it's 15$ for the test and if you pass you can opt to take the general test on the same day at no cost and if you pass that one you can opt to take the extra on the same day free again, I took all three but only passed the tech and general test the extra is a bit more daunting and I am still working on that but I only spent about two weeks studying so. I used the following site for my studies, I just got all three https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ ( I have no afflation with them and am not making any money off linking their site) so when I add up the cost including the new baofeng radio I am all in for $134.85
so less than the cost of a new tire and you are legal.
again just my two cents...... and I forgot to add that you don't need to know morse code any more
. .- ... -.--

Last edited: