• HTML tutorial

Scarlet O Mikey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lincoln, Ca
Member #

Hi buckwilk,

My husband loved camping, hiking long before we met. Um, me not so much. My idea of camping was a Motel 6. HA! As we have aged we are doing the adventure together. We talked it over, buying the Jeep, type of camping we wanted to try. Over a month ago we did our first off grid, no toilets, no water, hauled everything we needed in the Jeep. Slept in a tent, the site was beautiful. After that trip we decided that was not the type of camping we wanted to do. Now we will try camp sites with water and toilets.

Perhaps the key to your question is, did or do you make the adventure decisions together. Encourage the sense of adventure.

Just my 2 cents :grinning:

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Hi buckwilk,

My husband loved camping, hiking long before we met. Um, me not so much. My idea of camping was a Motel 6. HA! As we have aged we are doing the adventure together. We talked it over, buying the Jeep, type of camping we wanted to try. Over a month ago we did our first off grid, no toilets, no water, hauled everything we needed in the Jeep. Slept in a tent, the site was beautiful. After that trip we decided that was not the type of camping we wanted to do. Now we will try camp sites with water and toilets.

Perhaps the key to your question is, did or do you make the adventure decisions together. Encourage the sense of adventure.

Just my 2 cents :grinning:

I know Lincoln well. Thanks for your 2cts. ( Encourage the sense of adventure. ) I think you are a wise person. Thank you

Reactions: Scarlet O Mikey

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

My outdoor adventuring is with my sons. My wife doesn't want anything to do with off-roading, kayaking, ATVing, shooting, or any other outdoor adventure we go on. I'm fine with that since it gives me plenty of time to bond with my sons. Both are grown and have their own lives but we set aside about 2 or 3 weeks each summer to as much as we can.

Reactions: gtomike

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

my wife enjoys the destination. not so much the journey sometimes.
Pretty much mine as well. She loves camping, loves remote camping, loves road trips, loves travelling. Banging trough the woods, up over an around things at 3 mph all day? not so much! lol.

To add advice, my wife is ALWAYS invited along on trips. This is something we established many years ago. Sometimes she goes, sometimes not. She normally asks the trip details, who is going, if it is a "dudes being dudes" or a run and gun kind of trip or if there will be wives along, etc... No harm, no foul if she decides to not go along.

Last edited:

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
My wife loves the outdoors and travel. Weve sailed together (long crossings are not her thing though), hiked, kayaked, camped, backpacked, and traveled extensively. Bugs love her though, so thats sometimes a problem...I grew up in the swamp lands so they dont bother me.

Weve also of course done a lot of traveling in my good old XJ, all over Central America including a 6 week road trip from Guatemala to Panama.

Enviado desde mi SM-T820 mediante Tapatalk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My late wife loved adventures, travel, camping, dirt bikes...... She was a great sport. The long distance driving she did not like so much but did it if necessary. Loved being outside and seeing new things.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

You love the trail, what about them ? They on board or not ? Any advice ?
As long as the overlanding trip leads to some good kayaking she's on board, she looks the sites and the adventures along the way, but she has to now kayaking and good camping is coming.

Today also marks 19 years of adventure with this wonderful woman. Many more adventures to come.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram

Last edited:

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

You love the trail, what about them ? They on board or not ? Any advice ?
My wife is on board 100%. She is co-pilot and navigator.
IMG_0277.JPG

She also rocks the camp kitchen. She wanted a toilet, I got her a Luggaloo and a pop up privacy tent which also works for the shower.
She bought a '17 Tacoma off road edition and said we need a topper and a lift.
I get her involved in most every aspect of our trips, except wrenching, unless I need a hand.
I count myself as blessed. She's my wife and best friend.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

She's all for it. We went together on the OB PNW Trail Run in August. We just got back from a trip through central and eastern Oregon. We go out on day trips all the time, sometimes in my rig, sometimes in hers, sometimes in both. She has a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, and has been thinking about getting her own member number. Not sure why she hasn't pulled the trigger on that, but I'm all for it. We love spending the time together.

20170916_191302.jpg

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I've been extremely lucky, my wife supports my adventures and even helps plan out new trips. She doesn't really enjoy the kind of exploring I'm used to but I have started to research ways to make it easier for her to enjoy. I always try and include her in some way or another.

Reactions: buckwilk

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

My wife fully supports my adventure laden personality. She's knee deep in working towards her masters so she can't always come with me. My kids are 3 and 1 and they love the adventures!

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

20170729_120929.jpg
20170729_133023.jpg
I'm one the lucky ones. The jeep or triumph dual sport moves, and she is onboard, ready for the next adventure, so I never go without her. We just got the smittybilt trailer setup (we had a class A motor home, and we both prefer the smittybilt trailer), and since we spend the week of thanksgiving in Moab each year, she wanted to know if we could bail on the house we rented and sleep in the roof top tent. She's a tiny little thing, and we've been going on adventures for over 40 years.

Oh yes, we have a tactical pistol range on our property, and I can't go down to the range without her. She helps setup the course of fire, and is my range officer when I'm running the course.

We went on adventures together when we were in highschool, and she's a country girl, so I knew I had a keeper. Just glad she still likes me after the kids all left home...

David B

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
Member #

My girlfriend isn't a tent camper, the thing that convinced her to come camp and have a great time was being able to sleep in the bed of the truck. I think it makes a big difference being up off the ground.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I’ve found that though my wife generally enjoys camping, she is interested in different aspects of the trips than I am, so if I incorporate plenty of the parts of the trip that she’s sure to love, she will put up with the stuff she dislikes. I have been slowly building on our trips, getting out on tougher trails and more remote camping while also building our setup to be more comfortable. The rtt and fridge with a complete kitchen, awning, and comfortable chairs etc... tends to make the long sketchy trails to remote campsites with questionable bear activity go from just tolerable for her to being a fun weekend adventure for us. Happy wife happy life.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The rtt and fridge with a complete kitchen, awning, and comfortable chairs etc... tends to make the long sketchy trails to remote campsites with questionable bear activity go from just tolerable for her to being a fun weekend adventure for us. Happy wife happy life.
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
...yup, all that and a porta-potty. I purchased an extra large RTT so we had room for a queen mattress as well as the porta-potty off to the side. No getting out of the tent in the middle of the night or early morning. Making our ladies happy on adventures is key to a successful experience...

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
My wife is all for exciting journeys and will very happily run a trail road all day but no matter what I do I can't get her to camp.
We've got a caravan recently and are using that for some family holidays so I'm hoping over time that will ease her into it a bit more. Fingers crossed.