Significant Other

• HTML tutorial

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

my wife enjoys the destination. not so much the journey sometimes.
This pretty much is true with my wife as well. She does not hate the trails but the camping is why she endures the trails. This is why we my not be the typical overlanders as once we get somewhere we usually stay for a few days, usually only go two places max during our family trips.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This pretty much is true with my wife as well. She does not hate the trails but the camping is why she endures the trails. This is why we my not be the typical overlanders as once we get somewhere we usually stay for a few days, usually only go two places max during our family trips.
My wife was the same way. I got her behind the wheel and she seems to enjoy it a little. Then I got her to do a water crossing (didn't even come up to the rim but still fun) and now shes hooked. She only goes if she gets to drive some.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

My wife was the same way. I got her behind the wheel and she seems to enjoy it a little. Then I got her to do a water crossing (didn't even come up to the rim but still fun) and now shes hooked. She only goes if she gets to drive some.
I am still working on getting her behind the wheel of our rig - 99 F250. I have to say I am the one who has reservations with it. She is the love of my life but the reality is she is a little spacally changed, as we like to refer to it.

Reactions: jimiwebb

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

Ex-wife hated being without a shower for more than a day. She did nothing but complain the one time I took her camping. Ex-girlfriend enjoyed wheeling and camping, but only to a certain extent. More than a day or 2, and she was losing interest. I am currently looking for a future ex-girlfriend that enjoys both wheeling and camping as much as I do :)

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I planned ahead and got an extra large tent (8 man Extreme Weather Tent by Cabelas) for our family of 4. I knew she would not like the claustrophobic feeling of a small tent... and I would be basically introducing her to tenting.
We can stand in it and the kids sleep in bunk beds, creating even more room.
The wind has virtually zero effect on it.

We then eventually got a large screen tent and privacy tent as well.

All the above really helps to make things comfortable. When you're comfortable you can enjoy yourself that much more.

I strongly doubt she would enjoy camping if I had started her out with a small little tent.

Glamping doesn't have to be a bad word ;)
Any idiot can be uncomfortable...

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
My wife and I have talked about going on trips many times, and she has seemed pretty excited about it, but we have yet to actually accomplish an overland journey together. That's spanned 21 years, and typically it's been due to conflicts in our schedules.

She and I are now working toward a trip together, and she's actively working with me on getting the rig together and planning the actual trip. It's a beautiful thing.

Now, as others have mentioned before, on the surface she's more into the destination than the journey. I blame myself for that as most of our road trips have been hard and fast, and that's not really enjoyable. I think once she sees a more laid back style of travel, she'll enjoy it.

Kcrkolby

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morgan Hill, CA
Member #

Biggest thing is to get them involved. My wife and i love to go off road together once i started letting her and teaching her to be my spotter. Giving her that ability gives her a purpose. I have offered many times to let her drive but she still gets to nervous to get behind the wheel. I sure one of theses days i'll be the one spotting the whole time.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
She loves Overlanding. She takes care of most of the planning of the trips. I'm in charge of getting us lost, and pursuing unplanned adventures.