Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
I just purchased my first rig, a 2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road. It was sold with some Pirelli Scorpion ATR all-terrains which appear to have a decent amount of life left in them; however, it appears they are not well-regarded as an off road tire.

Should I try to use these for a bit or should I just cut my losses and buy something like KO2s? I could try and sell these, but no clue what I’d get for them.

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
OK, thanks all! I will try and run them.

Unfortunately I don’t think I have a matching spare, so that complicates things slightly, but I guess if I have a repair kit and at least a same-sized spare I’d probably be OK until I’ve settled on whether or not I’d keep them.

Reactions: MazeVX

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Pirelli makes fabulous tires but they don't advertise like the common brand names. Run them till they are slicks then buy new.
I call a negative internet review a plus. If you NEED an OFF road tire, buy Super Swampers. Everything else is a compromize. How much off roading vs how much over the road driving do you do ?

As for the same size spare, I don't think the '05 Xtera had any traction control computers to require identical tires. Do you have a limited slip or open difs ?

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
As for the same size spare, I don't think the '05 Xtera had any traction control computers to require identical tires. Do you have a limited slip or open difs ?
Thanks! As far as I can tell, all 2nd gen Xterras (including 05) do not have LSDs. Mine is an OR model featuring an electronic locker.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
OK, thanks all! I will try and run them.

Unfortunately I don’t think I have a matching spare, so that complicates things slightly, but I guess if I have a repair kit and at least a same-sized spare I’d probably be OK until I’ve settled on whether or not I’d keep them.
The spare doesn't have to be the same kind of tire but, it is good if it is the same size. I always carry a plug kit.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Run them! Once the tread is gone, then, decide if you want another set or something else. Take the money you'd spent on tires, if you were to replace them, and buy something else for your rig. Congrats on the Xterra! I have a 2015 Xterra Pro-4x. Is yours a standard or an automatic? If it is an automatic, make sure you do the radiator mod and fix that glitch ... Just Google Xterra and SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death).

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
Run them! Once the tread is gone, then, decide if you want another set or something else. Take the money you'd spent on tires, if you were to replace them, and buy something else for your rig. Congrats on the Xterra! I have a 2015 Xterra Pro-4x. Is yours a standard or an automatic? If it is an automatic, make sure you do the radiator mod and fix that glitch ... Just Google Xterra and SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death).
Thanks, I have an automatic. I made sure to check for SMOD before purchasing and as soon as I was able I took it to a shop to do the bypass (I was going to do it myself but I’m not mechanically inclined yet and wanted to get it done before I drive it). I was pretty lucky that at 161k it appeared to be in great condition mechanically.