Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Hi all,

Wondering how many members here have service animals?

We are in the process of getting one for my son to help him with his Autism.We are looking into getting my son one for his Autism.

Side note: If any veterans needs service dog, I have a great foundation I can recommend. Just PM me, it’s one that I actually donate too.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Beautiful dog! Any tips you could offer?

This will be our first dog in general and we will be getting him as a service dog for my son. The SD will keep my son safe, but I want to keep it safe especially outdoors.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I suggest make sure you find a dog from a good breeder and good trainer. Since this is your first dog period, I also suggest signing up for some classes (not for your dog) for you as owner/handler. Find a trainer who specializes in behavior & communication. This will help during the initial stages of relationship building. ( (Good Luck.)The dog will do it's part. But, whoever handles the dog will need to know how to give the dog what it needs (as a dog).
Communication and patience will be key. (Good Luck!)

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I am looking at a trainer/breeder in which the training is pretty extensive. As the main handler, I will travel out there for a week before bringing the dog home. When the dog comes home, one of the trainers comes down to my home (stays locally) and trains the family on handling the dog.

I think it sounds appropriate but what do I know...?

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@Billiebob thanks! I am trying to work all of this out for my son. The cost is just outrageous but it will be worth every penny. Once we are all set and done.

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

My Sadie came from a litter that three were service dogs and the other two went to training as Police dogs at at Sheriff Dept.. I was told she was a wash out because she is too nosey as in she has to find out every thing near her, good for a Hunting/flusher dog but not a service dog. But she does help me a bit but still wants to check out things....20160408_170408.jpg

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I have a service dog and have had him for about 8 years now. I have had very few problems with him. Usually just with the unintentionally, uninformed people trying to do their job. Usually a quick conversation or just saying, "He is a service dog," is all it takes. I actually keep a small file folder behind the passenger seat that has his letter of certification, shot records, and copies of the law from the ADA website in it. I pass these off in a friendly way if someone seemed interested in learning more. I also carry his service animal ID card in my wallet. That being said, none of this is required by law.

Know your rights and the rights of the business, (because they probably don't.) I have often left information with an establishment that has had problems in the past with animals. From what I have heard personally most of the time the problems the establishment has had were with animals that were not actual service animals.

Usually, people just don't want to leave fido at home, though most comfort dogs and therapy dogs are usually pretty well behaved if they are the real deal. The people that have poorly trained animals and also pull the service dog card are the ones that cause our problems. It will be a bad past experience that puts businesses on edge when you walk in.

Service dogs are held to higher standards than comfort and therapy dogs, that is why they are allowed to go places others are not.

Fun fact: The only animals that can be service animals are dogs and miniature horses. I seriously thought about the horse but glad now I didn't. Trying to go on flights with a 100-pound black lab/great dane mix while the room between rows continually is getting smaller is bad enough.

My advice for what it is worth: Keep up the animal's training. It is not a pet, it is there to provide a service. Even as a working dog they will get better treatment than most peoples dogs will ever see in their lives.

Be aware: as the dog becomes accustomed to going places they form a very strong bond and can go through separation anxiety if you choose to do something without them, i.e. a quick run into 7-11 or something. Make this a part of their training if this is something you see happening.

Please feel free to ask any questions, send me a DM or on here. I am not on every day but am on here every three days or so. If you write I will write back.

Start with this:
Atlas & me.jpg

Last edited:

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I have a service dog and have had him for about 8 years now. I have had very few problems with him. Usually just with the unintentionally, uninformed people trying to do their job. Usually a quick conversation or just saying, "He is a service dog," is all it takes. I actually keep a small file folder behind the passenger seat that has his letter of certification, shot records, and copies of the law from the ADA website in it. I pass these off in a friendly way if someone seemed interested in learning more. I also carry his service animal ID card in my wallet. That being said, none of this is required by law.

Know your rights and the rights of the business, (because they probably don't.) I have often left information with an establishment that has had problems in the past with animals. From what I have heard personally most of the time the problems the establishment has had were with animals that were not actual service animals.

Usually, people just don't want to leave fido at home, though most comfort dogs and therapy dogs are usually pretty well behaved if they are the real deal. The people that have poorly trained animals and also pull the service dog card are the ones that cause our problems. It will be a bad past experience that puts businesses on edge when you walk in.

Service dogs are held to higher standards than comfort and therapy dogs, that is why they are allowed to go places others are not.

Fun fact: The only animals that can be service animals are dogs and miniature horses. I seriously thought about the horse but glad now I didn't. Trying to go on flights with a 100-pound black lab/great dane mix while the room between rows continually is getting smaller is bad enough.

My advice for what it is worth: Keep up the animal's training. It is not a pet, it is there to provide a service. Even as a working dog they will get better treatment than most peoples dogs will ever see in their lives.

Be aware: as the dog becomes accustomed to going places they form a very strong bond and can go through separation anxiety if you choose to do something without them, i.e. a quick run into 7-11 or something. Make this a part of their training if this is something you see happening.

Please feel free to ask any questions, send me a DM or on here. I am not on every day but am on here every three days or so. If you write I will write back.

Start with this:
View attachment 154236
Thank you for the information. I am definitely going to educate myself more on the laws. I appreciate the help and I may be reaching out to in the near future. Thanks again.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I suggest make sure you find a dog from a good breeder and good trainer. Since this is your first dog period, I also suggest signing up for some classes (not for your dog) for you as owner/handler. Find a trainer who specializes in behavior & communication. This will help during the initial stages of relationship building. ( (Good Luck.)The dog will do it's part. But, whoever handles the dog will need to know how to give the dog what it needs (as a dog).
Communication and patience will be key. (Good Luck!)
I have learned that my dogs know and understand much more than I ever imagined. Once you figure that out, training comes a lot easier.

Reactions: Pathkiller

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

We have decided to get a german sheppard. They are awesome, and while not technically a service dog, we can train her to protect and help Colin in every way we want. Putting my deposit in at a breeder in Sask soon.
That is the dog we would prefer even though your right we can’t seem to find a reputable trainer to train one as service dog.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
We have decided to get a german sheppard. They are awesome, and while not technically a service dog, we can train her to protect and help Colin in every way we want. Putting my deposit in at a breeder in Sask soon.
Be sure to check the breeding line for joint problems... hips and elbows. GSDs are the best in the world and they can learn to do almost anything. Check the .pdf to learn important breeding stats.

Attachments

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
I wanted to buy one of those show quality dogs, but I wound up rescuing a GSD that had been abused. He's so smart he picked up everything I wanted him to learn almost by himself. Took some time to gain his trust but now we're firmly bonded and last week he warned me about the BBQ which was enveloped in a ball of flame because I had forgotten something I was grilling. He has learned a lot of other things I need as well, but I still have to get him some training for my Diabetes and PTSD issues. He's already figured out my anger issues.... I know he would kill somebody that pissed me off, so I have to control my issues. Might be a psychological ploy on his part. He's smart, but damn, that's a genius level service dog. Not certified but I don't care, nor do I need papers for it. I take him where I want to and if somebody asks about service dog papers I simply tell him to show his teeth, and he does. :laughing:

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
It depends on what the duties the dog will be performing and what the owner is dealing with. They will match the dog's temperament to their person.

As an example, since I have PTSD I deal with a lot of anxiety, depression, etc. It wouldn't do me as much good to have say, a husky as it does having my lab. A neurotic dog isn't going to help my condition.

You might want to ask why they don't want to train a husky for your son. Being that they are training the dog for an autistic child than they may want to have a calmer dog around, or maybe they will want to meet your son and find out more about where he is on the spectrum, in particular how he reacts to stimulus.

Before all the hate starts, I love huskies and requested one. But when the reason was explained to me this is what I was told and it made sense. I also know there are exceptions to every rule, I am sure there are very calm huskies. These places don't necessarily have the time to wait and find out so they go off of the dog breeds profile.