See a lot of different medical issues, but none about snake bites while out in the desert.

• HTML tutorial

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I See a lot of different medical issues discussed here, but none about snake bites while out in the desert. I've been reading up, but there really doesn't seem to be any real way to not die if you're out 100 miles away from any hospital and get bit. So, if there are any Real medical professionals who can offer real ways to stay alive.......please discuss!!!!

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

At least in North America, it's highly unlikely that you will die from a bite. You won't be happy, but you will have time to drive that 100 miles to evac. You'll get swelling and pain, but very, very few people die from a snake bite. And most of those who do when you look into the cases you'll see they were drunk and harassing the snake (trying to pick it up, capture it, etc.) The odds of you getting injured while driving are much, much higher, so that's why the first aid training focuses on the most likely causes of injuries. PS, sucking out the venom is a movie myth, that only makes things worse. Just stay calm, remove any restrictive jewelry or clothing as you will get swelling at the injection site, stay hydrated, and seek professional medical help.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Here's a good example of how to handle one. Case Study: What to Do about Snakebites (nols.edu)
Nice, that was helpful and the conclusion is the same as I had deduced....... But that example was a bite to the arm, most bites would be to the lower leg/ankle......kind of hard to immobilize and raise that to the level of the heart. I'm sure the overall advice is the same, just the immobilizing and raising the leg to the heart is an issue. And what to do if you're alone....that would be an even an even more important answer to get........and again, if your trip takes you 100 miles from the nearest hospital......what to do and how to handle that.
Thanks for the article btw!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Outside had a good article on snake bites a few years ago.

Some highlights
* You stand a greater risk of being killed by lightning or a bee sting than you do of dying from a snakebite.
* 55 percent of people bitten by snakes are male, ages 17 to 27.
* 57 percent of snakebite victims were handling the snake at the time of the bite.
* Each year, an estimated 7,000–8,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the United States, and about 5 of those people die.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Chris @El Solis gave a very good overview of the do's and don'ts after snakebites some time ago. Take a look here:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Lol! Okay, here's another one.......what if a dog gets bit.......just bury them there?!
All joking aside.
Yeah that would be a bad day. My buddy lost his dog to a cooperhead. And he was right there. Died at the VET Their bodies are so small (them humans) the poison travels faster.
Cutting a slice between the two fang holes like the old days and sucking out the venom would not work on a pet. At least I've never heard of that.
Evac is the approved method. Sending a helo for a dog would be declined.
Sorry.
Zim

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Right on guys, while I've never had any issues with snakes, there's always that possibility.......So why not bring it up? So, funny that I get more people responding to this than to my Rally Point or Tripp Planning threads! Lol!! Think I just got those up too late. Anyway, my dog is a healthy 96 lbs........and rarely wanders far from me. But, have more info about this, especially when Mojave Greens are the prevalent snake out here and with the crazy weather we've had........hopefully we don't see any!

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I've always heard mixed reports about North American snakes. I still wouldn't want to be bitten by one. Apparently, there is antivenin for rattlers, but it is hard to get.

I once got bitten by a juvenile brown snake in Mainland Australia. Not a pleasant experience, but with the right first aid, I obviously survived. It was in the days before cell service in a remote hiking/canoeing area, and the venom had already worked its way out of my system when I got to the hospital.

Here in Tasmania, we only have three species of snake. The trouble is if you ranked all Australian snakes from most venomous to least venomous, they are all at the top of the list. The good thing is it is the same antivenin for all three.

When venturing out into the bush, it is standard to carry a compression bandage, even if going only a short way.

The venom travels through the lymphatic system (the fatty layer under your skin), and the tight bandage slows the flow. It will only enter the blood when it reaches the lymph nodes, under the armpits and groin. If the flow is slow enough, the body will deal with it. It's important to keep still as movement increases the flow of venom. No need to wash the wound.

S

SoCoRuss

There is no reason to add comedy or satire to the question or say it will never happen because of statistics. I'm originally from the south, growing up I knew lots of folks that got bit by various snakes luckily close to town. So much for statistics! Growing up there gave me my belief that the only good venomous snake is a dead venomous snake. Now I live in Colorado so fewer types of venomous snakes.

Its a very Valid concern. There is very little info on snakebite treatment out there for overlanders and hikers who go into backcountry. Its all seems to think you are hiking in a city park with access to hospital within minutes.

Raise limb , call for help on phone( not gonna happen in the boonies) , lay down and raise limb above heart doesn't work when you are a 100 miles from town, overlanding on a rough trail that would take you 6-8 hrs to get back to town or hiking 20 miles in the back country alone.

Where the snake bites you would affect the time you have also I believe. I had a friend wake up in Rockies on a back country hiking trip and found a rattler curled up on his sleeping bag( better than in it I bet). Luckily he threw open bag and covered the snake so no bite while trying to get away. Had another friend get bit on upper boot while hiking Rainbow trail, luckily they wore high ankle boots so no issues. Again, statistics suck even in Colorado.

Whether the snake is a young or old one matters since a mature snake will hold back or maybe give you a dry bite. But a young will give you the whole venom sack in the bite.

AS for the dog, I would really to know more about that since our lab travels with us.

Reactions: FishinCrzy
S

SoCoRuss

BTW, thanks for the links. The NOLS article doesnt really address the distance from trailhead. That article said 5 minutes to trailhead? What about 5-15 miles from trailhead.

Remember the statistics talk about total US population and number of bites. The majority of folks that go for a walk or hike in the US are no where near places with venomous snakes. I would be interested in stats for folks like us that are offroad/backcountry. Bet the odds go way more.

The CDC says( does anyone trust those bastards after Covid) live in a apartment in a city and never go outside in summer, if you go out dress like its winter, not gonna happen for us.

BTW, I understand the minimal death's but lots of folks have permanent damage or short to long term health issues for a while after a bite depending on type of snake. I've seen that myself from my youth in the south.

This is a really good discussion though.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
The tips mentioned above for handling a bite are good to follow, however finding ways to not get a bite in the first place is much higher on my list. I grew up hiking and exploring in rattlesnake friendly environments and was taught to wear high top style hiking boots with either gators or long loose leg pants, most rattlesnake bites are to the foot/ankle, lower leg or hands. A good hiking boot will prevent fangs from penetrating and loose jeans are fairly effective as the are not tight to the skin. When going over a log, rock or other obstruction, step on top of the item and then away from the far side rather than stepping directly over and potentially near a snake tucked under the far side. Be careful when grabbing small rocks that are perfect for both leveling your rig and hiding snake that is snoozing underneath, perhaps use a stick to flip it over first. Use extreme care when climbing in and around boulders and narrow dessert canyons. Carrying a walking stick, walking with a heavy step can help announce your arrival and give snakes a chance to retreat. Remind yourself and companions often to be careful as snake awareness wanes the longer you are out and about without seeing one. So far I have not been to an environment where the species of snakes are either aggressive or hang from trees so have not had to deal with that.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
The tips mentioned above for handling a bite are good to follow, however finding ways to not get a bite in the first place is much higher on my list. I grew up hiking and exploring in rattlesnake friendly environments and was taught to wear high top style hiking boots with either gators or long loose leg pants, most rattlesnake bites are to the foot/ankle, lower leg or hands. A good hiking boot will prevent fangs from penetrating and loose jeans are fairly effective as the are not tight to the skin. When going over a log, rock or other obstruction, step on top of the item and then away from the far side rather than stepping directly over and potentially near a snake tucked under the far side. Be careful when grabbing small rocks that are perfect for both leveling your rig and hiding snake that is snoozing underneath, perhaps use a stick to flip it over first. Use extreme care when climbing in and around boulders and narrow dessert canyons. Carrying a walking stick, walking with a heavy step can help announce your arrival and give snakes a chance to retreat. Remind yourself and companions often to be careful as snake awareness wanes the longer you are out and about without seeing one. So far I have not been to an environment where the species of snakes are either aggressive or hang from trees so have not had to deal with that.
I like the "don't get bit" to start with! Having hunted and fished in the South for near 70 years I can say that when I see one big rattlesnake I start looking for them everywhere! I have too many snake stories. Just go slow and pay attention. And hope that big ass snake that falls in the boat with you is non-poisonous...they usually are:astonished: Shooting a hole in the boat will attract the gators! Sometimes the gators eat the snake, but not always?

Reactions: OTH Overland
S

SoCoRuss

Man, I could tell you stories about me and my grandpa in South Caroline fishing for crappies along the river banks and having snakes drop in the boat. The good old days and great memories.:laughing:

Reactions: FishinCrzy