RTT Back to Ground Tent

• HTML tutorial

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Born in Colorado, finished school in Arizona, did 5 tours in the jungles of Panama. Started camping while in diapers. Always slept on the ground, never had a bug or scorpion attack. I was bitten by a rattler but not while asleep. I guess if you have bug or animal phobias a rtt may help.
I'm with you on this one. On many occasions with the army I've had to basically roll out of my vehicle in the middle of the night straight into high grass (2 meters +), roll out my mat and sleeping bag/bivvy and throw over my mozzie net. No time to worry about snakes, spiders and every other potentially lethal reptile (crocodiles come to mind) or insect wanting to kill you here in Australia lol. Not once have I ever been bitten (hope I haven't jinxed myself now) or had to worry about it. We often sleep under a hoochie (small tarp) as well if sheltering from rain. But as you said if you have a phobia then maybe an RTT would probably be better suited to you. The military does toughen you up though particularly when you don't have a choice in where and what you do. :)

Reactions: dziner

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Is it a fad that they've become so popular? Maybe. It would seem a lot of folks buy them as "essential" gear without thinking about their needs or why they're buying on. I'm over ground tents. I move a lot in the rig, and after a lot of evaluation, the RTT meets my needs a lot more than a ground tent.

There are some interesting perspectives here.

This for example, in no way shape or form looks like an easier more compact solution to a RTT to me.

Then again I've been using backpacking style tents the whole time. I was already used to not standing up in a tent, and setting up cots and chairs and ovens. I mean maybe that's a thing for some folks. So the transition to having a RTT is a simple one.

To each their own and how they want to camp. All that matters is what makes you most comfortable. Not what the other guy is doing.
The thing about the tipi tent is it only takes 5 minutes to put up, 5 mins to put away...it's a small pack size and only weighs 14kg. For winter camps I will take the woodburner which is another 15kg and all packs down into a box. What you say at the end is so try....get what fits your style of camping.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

The thing about the tipi tent is it only takes 5 minutes to put up, 5 mins to put away...it's a small pack size and only weighs 14kg. For winter camps I will take the woodburner which is another 15kg and all packs down into a box. What you say at the end is so try....get what fits your style of camping.
It looks crazier than it sounds. I'd love to see one in person. I thought about the RV-5 for awhile from OzTent but I didn't like the pack down size.

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

It looks crazier than it sounds. I'd love to see one in person. I thought about the RV-5 for awhile from OzTent but I didn't like the pack down size.
Here's a video in real time of a guy putting up the 15 man version of the 9 man in the pictures I posted. This is 6 meter diameter and will sit up to 25 for classroom style work or for camping a huge family tent. It has 16 pegs so takes a little longer to put up... 8 1/2 minutes.

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

That's a cracking tent with plenty of space.
I'm very close to switching from rtt to the Kodiak 9x8, and I haven't even slept in the rtt yet. As a backpacker, and bike packer, the rtt Is making less sense to me every day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
As far as comfort and sleeping pads go I highly recommend you find a REI or other outdoor store and try laying on the Exped Mega Mat. With vehicle-based travel where space/weight is not a huge concern, this thing is the shit. I'm currently waiting to snag the DUO version for camping with two because the single version was so dang comfy. Pricey yes but buy it once and sleep sound, comfortable and warm for years.
We have the Exped Mega Mat Love them[emoji7] however we just got a Smitty built off-road trailer and a Tepui ruggedized tent My ground tent is a Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak Tent 12 by 12 you can even use a wood burning stove in it
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/964/cabelas-ultimate-alaknak-tent

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
I currently have a roof top tent mounted to the cap on my Tacoma. It's been great sleeping up off the ground with a nice view. But I'm strongly thinking about selling it and going back to a ground tent. I'm curious if anyone else has made this transition as well.

One of my biggest gripes about having a roof top tent is that I can't use my truck when the tent is deployed. And to be honest, setting up and tearing down the RTT is a bit of a chore for me. I'm short, and the truck has a 3" suspension lift.

I've put together some pros/cons to the situation.

I could build an adventure trailer. But this has a lot of additional cons:
  1. I live in the city and have no place to park a trailer
  2. The added expense of building a trailer
  3. I really don't want to tow something around when I go camping
Pros for the RTT:
  1. Up off the ground
  2. Doesn't take up ground space
Cons to the RTT
  1. Can't use truck when deployed
  2. High center of gravity
  3. Heavy
  4. Reduced overhead clearance
  5. Difficult to setup/tear down
  6. Lost roof rack space
  7. Expensive
  8. Can't stand up in it
Pros for ground tent
  1. Can setup camp and still use truck
  2. Standing room
  3. Lightweight
  4. No need for ladder
  5. Inexpensive
Cons for ground tent
  1. Need flat open space for setup
  2. Takes up room inside truck for storage
Of course the price of a ground tent is much more variable than a RTT. Depending on quality, brand, size, and features. And in reality I'm trading space from the roof to inside the truck. So some of these can kinda be a draw.
And this is why I love this site! I have been going back and forth on RTT vs Ground and never once did I think about needing to move the vehicle when the tent is deployed. That could be a huge CON. Can't believe I never thought of that. Great points

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

And this is why I love this site! I have been going back and forth on RTT vs Ground and never once did I think about needing to move the vehicle when the tent is deployed. That could be a huge CON. Can't believe I never thought of that. Great points
RRT's have their place but I don't think folk think it through thoroughly. If you're looking at staying in a place for more that one day I'd say you certainly want a ground tent as you'll probably drive somewhere.

Reactions: dziner and Jeepney

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
Tot
RRT's have their place but I don't think folk think it through thoroughly. If you're looking at staying in a place for more that one day I'd say you certainly want a ground tent as you'll probably drive somewhere.
I totally agree. We often camp for 2-3 days and will make trips to sight see, grab firewood, ice etc.... as much as I love "overland" I don't do many back country trips. Ground seems smarter right now. Now awnings on the other hand. I could def use a nice 270 degree or something :)

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I have a canvas camp bell tent. Great head room, breathable, wood stove, bathtub pvc floor, and great ventilation when hot. Weight wise it is heavy but less than an RTT. It is true that finding a flat space is not as easy as maxtrax. leveling out a vehicle, but I think that making camp is why I like camping. Simple tasks like hammering stakes, gathering wood is what you do. While I personally don't understand the speed factor being so important when camping, to each their own.

I like the idea of spreading out, keeping the vehicle less encumbered, and having gear that is good for overlanding or camping in general.

I can see why the RTT are popular. Some look amazing, but I don't have that kind of disposable income, nor do I want to deal with the IRS of an RTT (Installation, Removal, Storage).

Reactions: dziner and buckwilk

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
this thread is great, it should be reading material for folks getting into RTT.

I do think that a lot gets caught up and just want to get the cool gear without realizing if it really works for what they do. I guess that's fine since it fills up the used market with some great deals.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Tot

I totally agree. We often camp for 2-3 days and will make trips to sight see, grab firewood, ice etc.... as much as I love "overland" I don't do many back country trips. Ground seems smarter right now. Now awnings on the other hand. I could def use a nice 270 degree or something :)
I had a 270 degree awning and sold it too. Those awnings take some time to setup because they have poles and such that need to be put together. Don't get me wrong, it was kinda nice at times. But just like the RTT, it was a pain to put away if I wanted to move the truck.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I bought a North Face Stormbreak 2 last week and used it Saturday night. It's a 2-person, 3-season tent that has 2 doors and vestibules. 95% of the time I'm only camping on a Friday and/or Saturday night by myself with my pup. It only took me 5 minutes to set up that tent without even reading the directions. It only weighs 5 lbs, and I was free to use my truck. I feel going back to basics is what I needed to do.

Now when I go to Overland Expo where I'll most likely be camping for 4 or 5 days, I'll take the Kodiak Flex-Bow canvas tent. That tent will give me the space I need to feel at home away from home. But it's not a tent I will use on a regular basis.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Good points of view and discussions on RTT and ground tents. Lots of insights from both sides. I'm a backpacker/mountaineer, so using the ground tent and a foam pad is 2nd nature to me. I've always wondered what life was like in an RTT, and the ability to move then vehicle without breaking camp is a major plus of mine for NOT getting an RTT.

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

Hi All, I promised to our first camping test run with our rig. RTT worked out great. The benefit of our design, based on my wife's idea, is the ability to pitch the tent on the ground, roof platform, or take it on a backpacking trip. The shower is also my wife's idea and it's awesome. The kitchen worked out better than expected. We have a short list of tweaks but overall we are estatic.
4/8537b803a24c654a5a895697dfe4fdf5.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app