Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I'm finishing the platform this weekend, adding brackets and possibly modifying the hinges but I will weigh it and let you know. It's made of aluminum channel, foam core, aluminum skin, held together with rivets and adhesive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app
You need to get a patient on it lol

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

Well, the awning and roof top tent sold in one day. Now I'm shopping for a new tent and pondering sleeping setups. I have a nice sleeping bag and a sleeping pad. Pretty basic and left over from my motorcycle traveling days. Wondering what the pro and cons are with maybe better sleeping pads, air mattress, or cot. Gonna check out the "Great sleep setup" thread to see what people are weighing in with there.
As far as comfort and sleeping pads go I highly recommend you find a REI or other outdoor store and try laying on the Exped Mega Mat. With vehicle-based travel where space/weight is not a huge concern, this thing is the shit. I'm currently waiting to snag the DUO version for camping with two because the single version was so dang comfy. Pricey yes but buy it once and sleep sound, comfortable and warm for years.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

As far as comfort and sleeping pads go I highly recommend you find a REI or other outdoor store and try laying on the Exped Mega Mat. With vehicle-based travel where space/weight is not a huge concern, this thing is the shit. I'm currently waiting to snag the DUO version for camping with two because the single version was so dang comfy. Pricey yes but buy it once and sleep sound, comfortable and warm for years.
Thanks for this recommendation. This is definitely thicker and nicer than the Thermarest mat I'm currently using (which is only about 1.5" thick). Looks like something like the Exped Mega Mat combined with a cot would provide a really nice sleeping experience.

Glenny

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sandy, UT
Member #

I feel the same way about my RTT. I love the simplicity of it and being off the ground but my wife and I both think we will replace it with an expedition trailer of some type fairly soon. We camp a lot out on BLM land and its true, once you are fully setup with awning deployed and annex attached to the bottom of the RTT you aren't really in the mood to move the truck to head in to town or go explore. We also use it for camping before the ultra trail races we compete in and it is great but again, unless the race start is out in the middle of nowhere you are set where you are till the weekend is over. If we buy the trailer I think we will I will either mount RTT on top of it for added space or sell it. RTT's do have their uses and mine has been great for quick overnight fly fishing in the back country or if we are moving from place to place on a long trip but if you plan to stay anywhere a few nights and also want to explore the area around you, they can be limiting for some.

Reactions: dziner

Christian Schrader

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Clemente, CA
Member #

Thanks for this recommendation. This is definitely thicker and nicer than the Thermarest mat I'm currently using (which is only about 1.5" thick). Looks like something like the Exped Mega Mat combined with a cot would provide a really nice sleeping experience.
Absolutely! If you want to be off the ground go that route. I simply toss it on the floor of the tent and call it a night. It's bomber, warm and so comfy. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I took a trip to Cabela's today and found the Kodiak Flex-Bow 10x10 Deluxe tent on sale for $449. I also picked up their XL cot which is wide and looks very comfortable for $99. And to make things better, my buddy who was with me bought my SUV tent (it's a large 8x8 dome tent that has an opening to attach to a truck or SUV) for $100.

No photos to share yet though. My back yard is not big enough to set up the tent to season it (I live in the city). But hopefully I can find a place to do that soon. Plus, we're getting storms all weekend so it won't even have a chance to dry. I'm pretty happy for the price I paid for the tent though.

Reactions: Gary Stevens

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Have you thought about Tentipi? They do an amazing range of tipis which only take 5 minutes to put up! Plus you have the advantage of having a wood burning stove or even an open fire inside. Full standing height, lightweight for the size and a small pack size compared to other tents of that size. If considering them make sure you get the size right as when they say a 7 man it's really only good for 3 to 4 but that's getting tight by the time everyone's got their bags etc. I find the 9 man is the best to go for as there's plenty living space for 2 but will easily accommodate 4 with space left to move. If you'd like more info or pictures let me know.DSC_1243.JPG DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_2801.JPG

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Have you thought about Tentipi? They do an amazing range of tipis which only take 5 minutes to put up! Plus you have the advantage of having a wood burning stove or even an open fire inside. Full standing height, lightweight for the size and a small pack size compared to other tents of that size. If considering them make sure you get the size right as when they say a 7 man it's really only good for 3 to 4 but that's getting tight by the time everyone's got their bags etc. I find the 9 man is the best to go for as there's plenty living space for 2 but will easily accommodate 4 with space left to move. If you'd like more info or pictures let me know.View attachment 29872 View attachment 29873

View attachment 29871
I've seen those at Overland Expo. Definitely cool factor. But last I checked they were also really expensive. The Kodiak Flex-Bow 10x10 seems to be similar, but as a 6-man tent with straight walls and gear loft. A Mr. Buddy heater will work well in the Kodiak as well.

Reactions: Vince

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Rtt make no sense to me. Expensive, inconvenient, an answer without a question. Trendy, yep. Practical nope.
I think the same way unless you're in a country where it's best to be off the ground. Also if you're on the move every day some RRT, the Pop Up type, can be simpler than having to erect and take down a tent everyday plus all the sleeping mats and bags etc. I have since changed vehicles from the Hilux, in the picture, to a Landcruiser Troopy where I can sleep inside the way it's setup just now and will get the Alucab roof tent fitted. However I will always carry the Tentipi tent as well for when stopping for more than one night...that way I can setup a base camp and still drive off.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I think the same way unless you're in a country where it's best to be off the ground. Also if you're on the move every day some RRT, the Pop Up type, can be simpler than having to erect and take down a tent everyday plus all the sleeping mats and bags etc. I have since changed vehicles from the Hilux, in the picture, to a Landcruiser Troopy where I can sleep inside the way it's setup just now and will get the Alucab roof tent fitted. However I will always carry the Tentipi tent as well for when stopping for more than one night...that way I can setup a base camp and still drive off.
Agreed X 2.. The RTT fad will soon pass here in the US and the used market will be flooded. Alucab is a great alternative to ground tent, however it is very expensive. When we basecamp we use our Oztent FX25. It is our home away from home. When we are on the move, we used to use our backpacking 2 man tent, but on our next trip we'll be using an ALPS 3 man tent. Nice quick easy set up.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I own an rtt. I've owned a ground tent in the past. They have their pros and cons. For me, I generally explore and they go camp. In all honesty it takes me less than 10 minutes to break down my rtt if I want to go explore, and I own the biggest rtt that cvt makes. There are definite downfalls but living and camping in the deserts of nevada, with lots of bugs and scorpions, I'll take a little inconvenience of a longer break down time to stay off the ground.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Born in Colorado, finished school in Arizona, did 5 tours in the jungles of Panama. Started camping while in diapers. Always slept on the ground, never had a bug or scorpion attack. I was bitten by a rattler but not while asleep. I guess if you have bug or animal phobias a rtt may help.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Is it a fad that they've become so popular? Maybe. It would seem a lot of folks buy them as "essential" gear without thinking about their needs or why they're buying on. I'm over ground tents. I move a lot in the rig, and after a lot of evaluation, the RTT meets my needs a lot more than a ground tent.

There are some interesting perspectives here.

This for example, in no way shape or form looks like an easier more compact solution to a RTT to me.

Then again I've been using backpacking style tents the whole time. I was already used to not standing up in a tent, and setting up cots and chairs and ovens. I mean maybe that's a thing for some folks. So the transition to having a RTT is a simple one.

To each their own and how they want to camp. All that matters is what makes you most comfortable. Not what the other guy is doing.

Reactions: MOAK

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Is it a fad that they've become so popular? Maybe. It would seem a lot of folks buy them as "essential" gear without thinking about their needs or why they're buying on. I'm over ground tents. I move a lot in the rig, and after a lot of evaluation, the RTT meets my needs a lot more than a ground tent.

There are some interesting perspectives here.

This for example, in no way shape or form looks like an easier more compact solution to a RTT to me.

Then again I've been using backpacking style tents the whole time. I was already used to not standing up in a tent, and setting up cots and chairs and ovens. I mean maybe that's a thing for some folks. So the transition to having a RTT is a simple one.

To each their own and how they want to camp. All that matters is what makes you most comfortable. Not what the other guy is doing.
Agreed. I get tired of seeing people try to keep up with the fads. I do what works for me, and what works for me may not work for anyone else.. But who cares?

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I camp 6 months a year, in a sleeping bag 180 nites every year. When I first started doing this I moved often. Now I find I get into an area and stay, making day trips from a base camp. Doing that out of an rtt would be ridiculous. I understand the cool factor, I just don't feel the need.

Reactions: dziner and Vince

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think I'm going to add another tent to my inventory. This time a small, lightweight, 3-season tent. Because 99.9% of the time it's only me and my 25lb. dog.

Kodiak 10x10 Canvas tent will be used for extended stays like Overland Expo where it will be home away from home.

ENO Hammock and rain fly for lounging as I haven't been able to get comfortable enough to sleep an entire night in it.

Lightweight 3-season tent for the majority of my camping which is usually just a Saturday night in the woods.

I slept in the bed of my truck (Tacoma short bed) Saturday night. While it gave me a place to sleep, it wasn't the most comfortable nor much space since my fridge is also mounted there. But it's nice to know it's always available since I have a cap on the truck.