First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Fancy shit with them lights! Nice.

I have spacers on mine. To get the bigger tires away from the walls as well as convert the Timbren lugs to Toyota. My 4Runner spare fits the trailer now.
Mine barely touch, so I ordered 1/2in spacers. Should do fine.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, the trailer has now been out three times. I absolutely love it.

We took it out to overland expo pnw over the weekend, and I picked up some ideas from other trailers of things I'd like to try.

It was neat that my wife was able to spot where some of the ideas that I incorporated into the trailer came from.

My water system worked great, and moving the awning worked really well. I think I heard the tires make contact with the fenders once, but not again after that. Seems like the spacers work well. I definitely need to extend the tounge. When the trailer is hooked up to the Xterra, I can't open the tire carrier, as it needs about 3-4 inches to clear the fridge box.

My solution for the immediate future is to get a 12 inch hitch extension. I know it's not ideal, and it moves the tow point farther behind the axle, but the springs on my Xterra should be able to handle the weight.

The next project is moving the sensor interface box to the fridge box, so I can hook up my water tank sensor.

Reactions: WYWander

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Whelp, I've had some trips fall through over the summer. I was supposed to go on a week long offroad trip, and that was going to be a MAJOR shakedown run of the trailer, but my wife severely broke her foot the weekend before, and has been down for 5 weeks now. Hopefully, we get to find out when the pins get to come out at her appointment next week.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get the water tank sensor working, and I'm not having any luck whatsoever. I've tried a safiery ultrasonic sensor, and can't get it to work. I then bought a converter board for my drop in pressure sensor, and can't get that to read at the sensor module either. I have one more ultrasonic sensor to try, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to give up on tank monitoring for a while.

I've pretty much got the entire entertainment setup installed and running. It's all USB powered, and draws less than 2A while in use. I really love this setup, and so glad I went the USB-C portable monitor route, and USB powered google tv route.

The speakers are a usb rechargable PC soundbar with bluetooth functionality, so we can remove it from the cabin, and put it outside for music, if we want. I also have an HDMI cable that runs from the media player to the back of the trailer, so that I can plug in a projector, and control it using the media player box.

I did notice that without a way to turn off the power to the google tv, I had about a .6A draw that never went away. So, I added an inline power switch. I also took the opportunity to pre-mount and hook up the controller for the heater.

I realize the panel above looks like garbage. This is a temporary panel until I have everything on there. Then I can have a custom aluminum cut, and mounted up there.

I've also been working on the diesel heater build design, and will have all the parts here to start building that this week.

I also just ordered 400w of solar to put on the trailer. Hopefully, that eliminates having to worry about charging, like....ever.

Reactions: Shahn