Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, I'll be heading out soon to test several things in the trailer, in preparation for our bdr trip at the end of July.

Testing the real world usage of the dual water tanks, as well as the breather valves in the caps.

Testing the rear stabilizer jacks on the trailer.

Testing the new table setup.

I'm also going to try running one of the fridges as a freezer. I want to see just how much battery I can expect to lose overnight.

A couple of things I still need to get done on the trailer before the trip.

I still need to build the awning mounts, as well as get some new tires. I've also figured out where the propane tank is going to go on the trailer.

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm also going to try running one of the fridges as a freezer
I was amazed how much more power I used running mine as a freezer.

With full water tanks, see if you loose water on a side hill or angle. My fill is on the side. I had to install a screw on cap to keep it from running out on a side hill.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I was amazed how much more power I used running mine as a freezer.

With full water tanks, see if you loose water on a side hill or angle. My fill is on the side. I had to install a screw on cap to keep it from running out on a side hill.
I use the Ironman 4x4 water tanks. They already have a screw on cap, fortunately. I'm mostly concerned with water leaking out of the breather valves I installed in the caps. Worst case, I have two other caps I can put on.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just a little pre-trip brain dump, for my own needs here.

I definitely need a propane tank mount for the trailer. Unfortunately, my go to mount doesn't work with my second tank (Manchester style), so I'll need to get the power tank style bracket. I'm probably going to mount it to the fender underneath the kitchen box.

Gotta pick up some 1/4-20 superstrut nuts for mounting lights, and making new traction board mounts. @K12 also gave me some aluminum channel that I can easily use to make some more mounting bars for things like traction boards.

Getting the awning mounted is going to be my next project. I think having that cover over the kitchen will be a big help for the trailer. And while I have an awning room, I will likely pick up a shade wall that works with the ARB style awnings as well, as it's much easier to put up.

Also, I did finally mount my party lights underneath the trailer.

Reactions: Shahn

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, I'm happy to report that both my switchable water tank system, and my check valve tank breathers work flawlessly over the weekend! We were on some rather steep and bumpy roads, and the tanks didn't spill a drop of water.

Power and charging in the trailer are golden. I need to swap the power box in the tent to a different style. One that's much thinner, and not as bright. I also need to add a small inverter into the tent. 150W is more than enough.

It's also been determined that the trailer needs chase lights. Because it's brown.... And I'm usually leading..... It's impossible to see.

All in all, a very successful memorial day trip!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, after much deliberation, we've decided that we want to move to a square drop trailer instead of the offroad cargo box. There's lots of reasons behind this decision, which the primary one being ease of access and shorter setup times.

I don't know when this is going to happen, but in the mean time, I'll keep this thread updated with adventure posts. I will be moving my awning from the X to the trailer this weekend, and making some new crossbars for the rooftop tent.

Reactions: Shahn

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hey Brian......are you looking to build or buy a square drop? Just curious.....and, how many people are typically in your rig?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I ran my cargo trailer/RTT for years. My decision to go to a teardrop/square drop was based on foul weather and moving (non base camp) trips (set up and tear down times). The only down side to my enclosed trailer is over all size. I absolutely love it for base camping though. All I have left to do is add in a 270 awning with walls and I will have my version of an ultimate all weather set up.
My only regret in the design was over building. Its only 2k loaded but I probably could have shaved 300 + pounds in construction.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey Brian......are you looking to build or buy a square drop? Just curious.....and, how many people are typically in your rig?
I was originally thinking build one, but this time around, we might start with a slightly upgraded zion offroad trailer. I can then build cabinets and storage to suit or needs, and build the kitchen to suit as well.

Typically, there's 3 people plus the dog. I'd be moving my RTT to the new trailer for the kiddo, while the wife and I slept in the trailer.

I ran my cargo trailer/RTT for years. My decision to go to a teardrop/square drop was based on foul weather and moving (non base camp) trips (set up and tear down times). The only down side to my enclosed trailer is over all size. I absolutely love it for base camping though. All I have left to do is add in a 270 awning with walls and I will have my version of an ultimate all weather set up.
My only regret in the design was over building. Its only 2k loaded but I probably could have shaved 300 + pounds in construction.
Don't get me wrong, I love our current setup. It will haul everything we need to support ourselves for a week, and with creative packing, and pairing down what we're carrying, we should be able to carry everything we need for the two week BDR trip. That being said, opening two roof top tents, and setting up the kitchen everyday might get a little old after that time. I think being able to roll into camp, open the back, and start cooking, then climb into bed without having to do any packing/unpacking would be HUGE.

Reactions: zgfiredude

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I still own mine. I keep it "Just in case" I want to take a trailer down a real hard route. Unfortunately, it just sits. If I go somewhere I don't want to take my enclosed trailer, I end up just sleeping in the back of my cruiser. My wife keeps telling me to sell it but.....IDK. I've been pulling that trailer around since the late 80's. Its gonna be hard to get rid of it.
Tent set up isn't bad, as long as its not raining real hard or worse, the wind is blowing. Being able to hide inside my enclosed or just plopping on my bed is nice though.

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I still own mine. I keep it "Just in case" I want to take a trailer down a real hard route. Unfortunately, it just sits. If I go somewhere I don't want to take my enclosed trailer, I end up just sleeping in the back of my cruiser. My wife keeps telling me to sell it but.....IDK. I've been pulling that trailer around since the late 80's. Its gonna be hard to get rid of it.
Tent set up isn't bad, as long as its not raining real hard or worse, the wind is blowing. Being able to hide inside my enclosed or just plopping on my bed is nice though.
How big is your trailer? We're looking at going with a 5x8. It'll be a touch longer and wider than my current trailer (current box is 50x78)

Tent setup on the trailer is quick and relatively easy, even with a 3 in self inflating mattress in there. It's the tent on the X that's more of a pain. My wife typically handles the cooking when we go (not that I can't, she just really enjoys it), and having to get multiple bins that store dry goods, pots and pans, etc is a bit of a pain point. I've also done about as much as I can with the kitchen box for the current trailer. Things are organized using labeled tool pouches that are velcroed to the wall.

This setup works surprisingly well, and there's no complaints there.

As my daughter gets older though, she's going to need more space, and it's already tight with the 3 of us in the tent. I could replace it with a larger tent, but I'm not interested in the soft shell styles, and the ikampers that would fit us are stupid expensive.

That's where my brain is at now.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Another modular option is Hiker Trailers out of Colorado.....You can get an "empty box" so to speak and ramp it up from there. Just in case you haven't already found them.

Reactions: Joeguyzxj

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My RTT was a soft shell. Thus the wind comment.

For more details, here's the link to my build. There's a few things I would do diffrent. I spent too much time reserching and worrying about structure that I went overboard on the chassis
Going off the top of my head
The box is 5X9. The sleeping compartment uses 6.5 and the rest is rear storage.
I believe the overall length is 12 foot. My axle width is two inch's wider then what's on my post also.

Reactions: HaVeeBear

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Another modular option is Hiker Trailers out of Colorado.....You can get an "empty box" so to speak and ramp it up from there. Just in case you haven't already found them.
I feel like the Zion is a better value, honestly. I also like that I can upgrade it with their modular mounting accessories as I need to, and I can get creative with super strut using their t-track mounting systems.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just finished moving the awning to the trailer.

I had to make longer crossbars out of heavy duty superstrut. I then took one of the original crossbars, and cut it down to about 28 or 30 inches (I didn't actually measure it, I just eyeballed the length).

Next up, mounting the propane tank to the fender....

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've got a pair of Kumho Road Venture AT51 in LT215/75R15 inbound for the trailer. I have a different tire thats the same size that I can use as a spare, provided it holds air. Planning on checking that this weekend.

My pre-trip list for the trailer, prior to the BDR is as follows:

• Build new crossbars
  • Mount awning
  • Mount propane tank
  • Get new tires
  • Get Tires mounted and balanced on rims
  • Put tires on trailer
  • Build superstrut overhead light mount
  • Build chase light
  • Build new fridge slide
  • Consolidate Gear
Departure is less than two months away!

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Got some stuff done on the trailer today.

New tires are on:

I also got the overhead kitchen light and a mounting bar made up.

The only thing now that I HAVE to get done is build a new fridge slide.

I'm hoping to also build a cargo basket for in front of the tent. We'll see if I have time though.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I managed to get some crossbars made for the front of the trailer, and mounted an ATV cargo box that I originally had on the Xterra to them. This should give me a place where I can put things like the jack, blocks, and a few other bits that will need to be easily accessible.