Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I also managed to find a spot to stick two Jerry cans in front of the tongue box! This brings to the total amount of gas that I can carry to about 39 Gal (including the stock tank on the X).

The last task on the build list for the trailer prior to the BDR is to build some walls for the fridge slide, so that the fridge doesn't move around too much. I also need to get the updated power box into the tent, as well as the 150W inverter. That's it though. Everything else has been finished!

Reactions: zgfiredude

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I put the power box and inverter into the tent last night. I pulled the fuse to make sure I didn't short anything out. When putting the multi-meter on the wires, I noticed that polarity of the red/black wires was reversed, so I fixed that as well.

Hoping that I can get the walls for the fridge slide built before Saturday.

Reactions: M Rose

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
And fridge slide walls are built! I had to take the wheels and handle off the fridge for it to fit, but there's no issue with that.

Now, originally, I planned on putting the spare for the trailer underneath the X where the oem spare tire goes.... I'm not sure now that would work. I don't seem to be able to access the crank mechanism for the hoist.

Still looking, but I'm also looking at other options, including adding another piece of superstrut to the driver's side of the trailer, and bolting a trailer spare tire mount to that.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
When trying to figure out the spare, I discovered I can get to the hoist through the hitch in the bumper. I got it lowered, and the realized that the hoist wouldn't fit inside the wheel...

Time for some macgyvering! I realized I can take the hoist that goes inside the rim apart, and that it fit perfectly inside a piece of superstrut.

I cut a piece, slid the hoist inside, and slid that inside the wheel. I then cranked it up!

Reactions: Sparksalot

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, after completing the bdr over the summer, I will say that the trailer performed beautifully. We had one issue where I noticed the battery wasn't charging when we stopped in Montana before starting the Magruder corridor.

We tracked the problem down to a melted powerpole connector. When we got to camp, I unearthed my electrical tools, and grabbed some spare wire, and connected the DC-DC directly to the battery, and had no more issues.

With that being said, the trailer build has come to an end, so there will be no more modifications to it. I've decided to sell this trailer in the spring,to make room for something new (hopefully next year, if we can get our ducks in a row).

So, weather permitting, is time to start pulling a few things off the trailer that I'd like to hang on to.

If anyone is interested in buying it, I'm not sure what to ask, so shoot me a pm, and I'd be interested in further discussion (but don't want to turn this into a for sale thread).

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm also toying around with the idea of building a small, microcamper. Decisions, decisions.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Change of plans with the trailer. She's getting a rebuild. I'm currently working on quotes for sandblasting and powdercoating the entire frame. I'm also going to strip the box down to the wood, and completely re-skin the entire trailer with 4mm ACM paneling (already got the source for that). The systems in the trailer work very well, so I'm not planning on changing that out much. I may switch to a smaller water pump though. The one I have in there ATM is completely overkill. I'm planning on mounting an actual rack to the trailer, in addition to my awning. Just trying to figure out the options for this one.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Bud, get a stage 5 Z1 from Zion-Off-road… the stage 4 is bad ass, but the stage 5…

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Bud, get a stage 5 Z1 from Zion-Off-road… the stage 4 is bad ass, but the stage 5…
Did you guys get yours? I spec'd out what I wanted, and my build was sitting at about 17.5k,with the timbren suspension.

The reason mine is getting a rebuild, is in preparation for selling it. I don't think I'll get terribly much for it right now, and I like to use the money to build a new squaredrop.

I feel like I should be able to build on that's will suit us as well as the zion for about 5-6k, while giving it more features. We'll have to see though. I may change my mind after going to expo and chatting with Levi.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Did you guys get yours? I spec'd out what I wanted, and my build was sitting at about 17.5k,with the timbren suspension.

The reason mine is getting a rebuild, is in preparation for selling it. I don't think I'll get terribly much for it right now, and I like to use the money to build a new squaredrop.

I feel like I should be able to build on that's will suit us as well as the zion for about 5-6k, while giving it more features. We'll have to see though. I may change my mind after going to expo and chatting with Levi.
The Stage 5 is almost 30k. And is pretty much what I got in my stage 4 with accessories.

IMG_2109_Original.jpeg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Nice. I'd love to chat with you some more about what you think about it after having it for a while. Feel free to shoot me a text, my friend.

As far as my trailer goes, I wouldn't even be considering selling it, if we didn't want to build or buy a square drop either late this year or next year. We're planning on doing a trip down the coast in 2025, camping along the way, and seeing many things. Having a space that we can park and sleep in will be a game changer for that.

Reactions: M Rose