Hanover, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
So I have a 2020 Ram 2500 crew cab, 6'4" bed and a 6.7L Cummins Engine. I am in the middle of this OL build and need advice. I have a Sherpa 17000 lb winch to run from the rear of my truck. I keep getting conflicting answers about what AWG Ga wire to run from my engine compartment to the rear of the truck, approximately 20'. I have read in some of the forums here that people are using welding cable. I have done some research on that also and from what I gather welding cable tends to get brittle over time and does not do well when coming in contact with chemicals. Any help would be much appreciated.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm not sure what welding cable the others are running, I have been making my own battery cables out of it for literally decades. What I like about it is, its a finer strand of wire and has a higher copper content than most battery cable's. As for oil/heat resistant, I have never seen an issue with it, ever. That's not only on my projects.
I have had oil dripping over my cables (I hate oil leaks). Not for years and years but enough to say it holds up as well as anything else I've had oil on. Most of my vehicles run dual batteries, which puts my cables well into the hot soak area in my engine compartment. Never had the insulation on mine or others I've seen get brittle or crack.

It is more flexible. You need to make sure its fastened correctly. It will sag if not. maybe "others" let it sag onto or real close to exhaust? I also run it in a braided sheath for extra abrasion protection. If I was going near exhaust I would run the high temp shielding. In the past, I used split loom and recently changed over due to the split loom gives it much bigger diameter. The sheath protectors work so much better.

Your question on size, I would be running double 00. Run the spec on your winch for max draw. You may get away with single 0. I use single on my 12k winches and all my battery cables. I would have no issue running single to the rear for the 12k.
Get a hammer staking tool and some eyelets from the welding shop or from someone who sells quality, heavy eyelets and insulate the ends with dual wall shrink tubing. I prefer the "adhesive" type. It has a resin inside that not only seals but add a bit of rigidity to it.

D

Deleted member 14476

I ran the same welding 00 cable to my rear winch. I switch it off under the hood with a 500amp relay. but I think I over did my electric systems.

I’m installing a battery charger for my underhood batteries. and adding some light. Just ran my rear winch cables.
Dear god almighty

Reactions: Cooter545

Cooter545

Rank II

Contributor II

Hanover, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
I'm not sure what welding cable the others are running, I have been making my own battery cables out of it for literally decades. What I like about it is, its a finer strand of wire and has a higher copper content than most battery cable's. As for oil/heat resistant, I have never seen an issue with it, ever. That's not only on my projects.
I have had oil dripping over my cables (I hate oil leaks). Not for years and years but enough to say it holds up as well as anything else I've had oil on. Most of my vehicles run dual batteries, which puts my cables well into the hot soak area in my engine compartment. Never had the insulation on mine or others I've seen get brittle or crack.

It is more flexible. You need to make sure its fastened correctly. It will sag if not. maybe "others" let it sag onto or real close to exhaust? I also run it in a braided sheath for extra abrasion protection. If I was going near exhaust I would run the high temp shielding. In the past, I used split loom and recently changed over due to the split loom gives it much bigger diameter. The sheath protectors work so much better.

Your question on size, I would be running double 00. Run the spec on your winch for max draw. You may get away with single 0. I use single on my 12k winches and all my battery cables. I would have no issue running single to the rear for the 12k.
Get a hammer staking tool and some eyelets from the welding shop or from someone who sells quality, heavy eyelets and insulate the ends with dual wall shrink tubing. I prefer the "adhesive" type. It has a resin inside that not only seals but add a bit of rigidity to it.
Thanks for that input. The braided sheath is good information. I have had people say 4/0 battery cable in some of the research I did. It was making me nervous.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Is this chart referencing battery cable or welding cable? Thanks for the response.
Standard wire I'm sure. Welding cable would not be listed with regular wire. Battery cable is harder to shape and form and welding cable has more winding and is more flexable.
I'm a purist parts guy and just like to use what folks with more education than me recommend. LOL
Zim

Cooter545

Rank II

Contributor II

Hanover, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Standard wire I'm sure. Welding cable would not be listed with regular wire. Battery cable is harder to shape and form and welding cable has more winding and is more flexable.
I'm a purist parts guy and just like to use what folks with more education than me recommend. LOL
Zim
Honestly, my wife, Lori, makes fun of me all the time because I can spend years researching something before I buy. My truck wasn't cheap and I don't mind asking others what their experiences have been. Don't need this truck to burn up before I finish it. Thanks.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Honestly, my wife, Lori, makes fun of me all the time because I can spend years researching something before I buy.
OK...thats funny
I have the same issue and my wife's name is Lorraine. I've spent months researching data before I start building things. One thing you learn is, sometimes the experts are wrong. The biggest issues I found were people not updating their information or giving an opinion that they think is fact but is only close. This has become real bad in the last decade or so with the internet.