Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We are currently in the process of specing out a new vehicle and camping system. Most everything is set, however there is some debate aboout an awning. We've had the 2.5 meter Frontrunner awning for 10 flawless years and it is still in great shape. My wife wants a 270 degree awning next. I think they are too big and bulky, however I would consider the new Frontrunner carbon fiber unit. The other problem is we would be giving up the ability to lower the outside edge. With the current regular awning you can lower it down to as short as the poles will collapse. With the 270 it is about 7' high, all the way around the outer edge. Seems like a great big sail and will offer little coverage from the hot sun or a driving rain. (Not much different than awnings a gas stations). Not being able to lower the outer edge seems like a huge detriment to me. I'm open to changing my mind aboout the 270, so you folks that have them, what is your experience with them?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Haven’t owned one but used to wheel with a couple guys who did and I find them massively overrated. Ignoring the extra weight and cost, if you aren’t buying one with a forward extension, you’re giving up a lot of coverage alongside so you can cover the rear. You can’t drop the corner for rain. You have to hard commit to a side at purchase which means it will impact your campsite selection. Two sets of quick releases for a square awning makes the swap so easy.

They are stupid easy to set up… I’d never pop out my 2.5m for lunch but we did use my buddy’s 270 because it doesn’t require supports in calm weather. You also get tailgate coverage if that matters to you.

Personally, a 2.5m with a couple walls has been a perfect setup for me. I can see why people like their 270 but it’s just not for me.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a Rhino Rack Batwing 270. As far as shade I think it is great with maybe the low sun angle, however you can drop the legs some to get an incline. My biggest issue is how frelling flimsy the hinges are! I had 2 break when first opening it in the desert and it wasn't even windy. I have made some out of wood to replace the plastic ones. The Company line is "The hinges break so the support poles don't bend."
So 1 person setting it up(me) has to support the whole thing and open the support poles 1 x 1 as I spread it open.

I really would like one of the freestanding style such as ; 270 XT Awning Mk2

Just guy it out when the wind picks up. First set up in picture.

IMG_1639.JPG

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
We are currently in the process of specing out a new vehicle and camping system. Most everything is set, however there is some debate aboout an awning. We've had the 2.5 meter Frontrunner awning for 10 flawless years and it is still in great shape. My wife wants a 270 degree awning next. I think they are too big and bulky, however I would consider the new Frontrunner carbon fiber unit. The other problem is we would be giving up the ability to lower the outside edge. With the current regular awning you can lower it down to as short as the poles will collapse. With the 270 it is about 7' high, all the way around the outer edge. Seems like a great big sail and will offer little coverage from the hot sun or a driving rain. (Not much different than awnings a gas stations). Not being able to lower the outer edge seems like a huge detriment to me. I'm open to changing my mind aboout the 270, so you folks that have them, what is your experience with them?
I have the OverlandPros 4k.
It has been amazing. Takes 10 mph wind without issue.
They say it will take more, but I put the legs out and stake it down if it's gusty.
It gets used a lot while fishing the outer banks without a problem.
If I had to do it over. The new 6k with the extra front coverage would be my choice.

-Dan

p.s.
Not the outer banks, but you get the idea...

1713708134824.jpeg

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Most of my group has the OVS awning. I getting one for my trailer and Cruiser. When its real cold out, one of the guys will put the sides on, fire up a propane fire pit and stuff about 10 people under there. The sides are great in cold, wind and especially rain.