Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Hey all
I got a roofnest awning in the end .
My personal and honest opinion after opening a few time and closing, I wish they used more fabric at 90 deg bent, at rear of the car, so it would true 90 deg angle.
The beams are made of composite, and I think that will help to absorb a wind as graphite is flexing with a force when aluminum is not. Just want a hockey. They played with composite - graphite material sticks.
One issue is my Ikamper lid opens that is hitting a bracket, so I have moved to the side even more. It looks funky. Look a picture. Maybe some other roof rack- platform for budget. The track system is a very standard. Any solution?
It's easy to put away, metal enclosure has sufficient space ans even for a tool bag that is came with awning.
I made telescoping mounts for my awning so that it could tuck in tight next to my iKamper and slide out 6-8” away from the shell as it leans out. If it helps the DIY build is under the DIY forum here.
Wow nice what is a tread name
?
I got it. Thanks. Interesting idea. I guess telescoping. Only that has to be a very tight fit, almost like it's needed to be a gas strut with a locking mechanism. Otherwise, it's too much play already plus tubing.
Another idea is to use ball bearing rail with a hard locks.
It has to be zero play system.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I got it. Thanks. Interesting idea. I guess telescoping. Only that has to be a very tight fit, almost like it's needed to be a gas strut with a locking mechanism. Otherwise, it's too much play already plus tubing.
I thought about a slider that lays flat but as it’s exposed to the elements they would likely rust fast. Mine is overbuilt for sure, as I can hang off each mount, but it is incredibly solid. Often you’ll see damaged awnings as the L brackets bend easily.

Not sure what you mean by zero play system, but I’ve got redundant safety catches and knob screws to take out any rattle on the trail. Once unlocked I slide one side out about 2or 3 mm, then I slide the other 2 to 3 mm and then it all comes out evenly. I have probably about 500 dirt miles on this set up and it works great. You just have to remember to slide out the awning before being confused why the tent won’t open. Ask me how I know!

IMG_7889.jpegIMG_7886.jpegIMG_7887.jpegIMG_7888.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebbs

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I thought about a slider that lays flat but as it’s exposed to the elements they would likely rust fast. Mine is overbuilt for sure, as I can hang off each mount, but it is incredibly solid. Often you’ll see damaged awnings as the L brackets bend easily.

Not sure what you mean by zero play system, but I’ve got redundang safety catches and knob screws to take out any rattle on the trail. I have probably about 500 dirt miles on this set up and it works great. You just have to remember to slide out the awning before being confused why the tent won’t open. Ask me how I know!

View attachment 279773View attachment 279774View attachment 279775View attachment 279776
Zero play. I meant tubing has a tight fit when it's extended.
But I see you a screw knob that shoud do a job. I need to make something like this

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Not sure what you mean by zero play system, but I’ve got redundang safety catches and knob screws to take out any rattle on the trail. I have probably about 500 dirt miles on this set up and it works great. You just have to remember to slide out the awning before being confused why the tent won’t open. Ask me how I know!

View attachment 279773View attachment 279774View attachment 279775View attachment 279776
Zero play. I meant tubing has a tight fit when it's extended.
But I see you a screw knob that shoud do a job. I need to make something like this
Yes, the screw knobs take out any movement and make it very solid, both extended and stored. I’m not saying it’s a perfect design, but it’s worked really well for me. You could probably get away with a smaller square tube, but my local metal shop had a lot of hitch receiver sizes so I went with that so I didn’t have to ever worry about it.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I have my rack and tent off the truck right now, but I just took a picture of how tight I can get the awning to the tent. They don’t hit each other going down the trail either.media.jpg

Last edited:

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

I have a 23Zero on the van. Haven't used it a lot, but I like it. It's a little high to unzip/put away, but that's because of the van, not an awning fault.

I had to build angled brackets to compensate for the slant in the uprights of the rack. They might be a little overbuilt, I have 2 U-bolts on each bracket, 4 bolts into the awning in each bracket, and a total of 3 brackets. It doesn't move.
awning bracket.jpeg
awning back.jpeg