Questions about dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Ive done my fair share of camping but I've either stayed in campgrounds or gone to a location as a destination. I will be doing a 10 day trip with a break in the middle through some national forests and state parks. How does everyone pick sites for dispersed camping? Do you just look for existing ones? I mean that's ideal but what if you don't see any where you want to be? Is it acceptable to just camp anywhere? I obviously would try to minimize my footprint. Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks! Mason

Reactions: Novax326

Bkins13

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB T5S 0J4, Canada
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Kinley
Member #

I generally look for areas that have some sign of prior use, be it as a camp site, or a rest area. If nothing like that is available I'll stick to a small clearing just off a main trail. As long as you respect the area you are using and leave it cleaner than you found it you shouldn't have many issues.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I highly recommend an app called Allstays. It was 10 bucks, but it paid for itself in a few days. We fulltime travel, and use it exclusively to find our campsites. It lists tons of dispersed camping areas in NF and other areas. It has a map with icons you can filter through, and when you choose one it links to google maps or a website for more info. We find lots of free or really cheap spots this way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I grew up going on weekend trips through the Sierras, stopping when we felt like it, where it made sense. Even today I only need enough room to park and sleep if I'm passing through. There are a number of apps and websites devoted to free camping spots, many are regional so it helps to look around some.

Reactions: kg6zjl

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have been pretty much exclusively dispersed camping the last few years, definitely is my preferred way to camp anymore. At least around here, and I am assuming it is pretty similar in most of the national forests, its really easy to find used campsites with fire rings all ready to go. Just try any given FS road and you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least couple sites. Some of my favorite campsites I've just stumbled on that way. I haven't used any of the apps/websites, but I can definitely see their utility when you are out of familiar territory.

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Well we do not call it dispersed camping, we call it camping.

And normally it is picked by -

a: features around the area
b: proximity to water for swimming (if croc free) or fishing
c: has shade
d: its late and its level its camp
e: there are no others around you.

And the app wikicamps australia is awesome :)

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Jumping in on this topic a bit late. I've only done dispersed or primitive camping in the last year or so (e.g., BLM land or fire roads). The few times I've done an over-nighter on back roads or fire roads I was on my own and I just sleep in the rig. I only will do dispersed camping with the family in areas I'm comfortable with from a safety standpoint. Question out to the group, if you're out exploring with the family in an area you're not terribly familiar with, do you have any safety concerns staying overnight at a makeshift site you stumbled across or a turnoff? And if so, how do you mitigate them?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Jumping in on this topic a bit late. I've only done dispersed or primitive camping in the last year or so (e.g., BLM land or fire roads). The few times I've done an over-nighter on back roads or fire roads I was on my own and I just sleep in the rig. I only will do dispersed camping with the family in areas I'm comfortable with from a safety standpoint. Question out to the group, if you're out exploring with the family in an area you're not terribly familiar with, do you have any safety concerns staying overnight at a makeshift site you stumbled across or a turnoff? And if so, how do you mitigate them?
What type of threats consearn you, the four legged threats, two legged variety, or something else?

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

What type of threats consearn you, the four legged threats, two legged variety, or something else?
Really it's both. Not having had much experience it's always in the back of my mind, and I find my mind races with all sorts of scenarios. I'll say though, I'm more at ease when my family is not with me when disperse camping. I don't sleep clutching a knife or anything like that but I sleep more soundly knowing if anything were to happen I'm not putting my family in harm's way. A RTT would go along way to help quell some of my concerns but it's impractical at this point in time for us.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Really it's both. Not having had much experience it's always in the back of my mind, and I find my mind races with all sorts of scenarios. I'll say though, I'm more at ease when my family is not with me when disperse camping. I don't sleep clutching a knife or anything like that but I sleep more soundly knowing if anything were to happen I'm not putting my family in harm's way. A RTT would go along way to help quell some of my concerns but it's impractical at this point in time for us.
I find that the threat from two legged predators reduces the further from Cities you travel. Once out in nature, I have never been the victim of crime (Unless you count the monkeys, that stole my sunglasses, in Belize a few weeks back). I believe this to be a global phenomenon. When I travel to developing counties, Cities can be a little sketchy. Often, as a foreigner, you are seen as a target for crime. Once you are out in the countryside around small villages, they are just as interested in you, as you are in them. The greatest threat is people trying to meet you, and feed you the local delicacy (Hay, I'm old: I need to watch what I eat)…

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm curious these apps that people recommend, like Allstays. If you are out in the middle of nohwere with no coverage do the apps still work? Or do you have to plan where you will be going? Sometimes it's fun to just explore and if you're in a certain area it would be great to pull up an app and see what could possibly be around. I guess this isn't really possible with those apps.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I've been using campendium.com for a little over two years now to help research sites to stay.

We do primarily boondocking and dry camping off grid. We've also been fulltime traveling for two years. In that time, we've never experienced a problem out in the wilderness. Matter of fact, I leave my home unattended out in the middle of near where many many times.

As to the OP, I tend to look for existing established campsites to do the minimum amount of environmental damage. And usually away from water sources a good distance.

I'm curious these apps that people recommend, like Allstays. If you are out in the middle of nohwere with no coverage do the apps still work? Or do you have to plan where you will be going? Sometimes it's fun to just explore and if you're in a certain area it would be great to pull up an app and see what could possibly be around. I guess this isn't really possible with those apps.
That app is SO/SO. And it won't work without coverage.

Reactions: LostInSocal

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I find that the threat from two legged predators reduces the further from Cities you travel. Once out in nature, I have never been the victim of crime (Unless you count the monkeys, that stole my sunglasses, in Belize a few weeks back). I believe this to be a global phenomenon. When I travel to developing counties, Cities can be a little sketchy. Often, as a foreigner, you are seen as a target for crime. Once you are out in the countryside around small villages, they are just as interested in you, as you are in them. The greatest threat is people trying to meet you, and feed you the local delicacy (Hay, I'm old: I need to watch what I eat)…
Generally I think you're right - the further out you are, the likelihood of victimization is probably lower. In some instances, I've been out where I would consider it "remote" but be caught off guard by graffiti on boulders and glass bottles strewed about. Maybe I just had to drive a bit further out :)

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

As to the OP, I tend to look for existing established campsites to do the minimum amount of environmental damage. And usually away from water sources a good distance.
We're not quite able to plan and execute long multi-week / month trips. I don't hate established campgrounds but depending on the time of the year, they can suck and ruin an otherwise great weekend. Definitely during the fall / winter months they're great - very quiet and peaceful. Come spring / summer, they're loud and crowded, and that's when I opt more for dispersed camping options. Just this weekend in fact, we had the misfortune to camp next to a group who were up late chatting (which I can't blame them for doing) so that night's sleep was not great. The next day, a spot across the way opened up, so we literally picked up our tent and walked it over. That second night was great; slept like a baby. The one great thing we learned this weekend was dispersed camping is allowed outside this campground so our next trip out we'll know better and have more options.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@SAC-CA-Runner
I'm curious these apps that people recommend, like Allstays. If you are out in the middle of nohwere with no coverage do the apps still work?
Depends on the App AND the Phone hardware. I run Maps with Me on an old Tmobile G2 android phone. The Maps with me app lets you download maps and routing data locally for any areas you're interested in a head of time. Since the phone has an actual GPS chip on it I can get working nav out in the boonies.

Beware that many newer phones use cell and wifi signal triangulation to get your location instead of GPS. This works well in town but as soon as you're off grid you're SOL. I have yet to find a fool proof way to determine which phones have real GPS and which fake it. Though I can say that Samsung Infuse, S3, S5 Active, & S6 from AT&T all fail to locate when they lose signal. Beware that when some fail they fail giving you and error, others fail and show you the last location fix like all is good. Not sure which mode is more dangerous.

Boort