Enthusiast I

Salt Lake County, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hello,

In the past 3 or 4 months, I have had 3 separate punctures on 3 tires from rogue bolts/nails that seem to be plaguing the area I commute in. In both cases, the punctures have been from what look to be fairly large bolts and have occurred on Falken Rubitreks and General Grabber ATPs in P rated sizes.

Would an upgrade to an LT tire (probably an E load) help at all in attempting to stifle these bolts/nails? Are there any AT/RT/XT/or MT tires that seem to be specifically good in these scenarios.

I would love to avoid having to get these tires patched so frequently in addition to having a better off-road/load capability.

Thanks!

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

My BFG AT/KO2's and my one Cooper ST/Maxx are heavy, stiff, 3-ply sidewall tires chosen because of general toughness and resistance to puncture, especially in the sidewall area. Never had a problem in the backcountry, but whilst driving around town, I still get a drywall or deck screw in the tread area every few years. These tires have not gone flat when the screws are lodged in them, so that's something I guess.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve had one puncture in over,( honestly I can’t remember when,) but odds are it did happen before, 40 or more years. My father-in-law uses my barn and driveway to the barn to work on his camper and his VWs. Never cleans up after himself, a 1/4” bolt made its way through a BFG AT E. Since then I alway sweep up my drive when he is done using it. There isnt one LT tire over another that will prevent sloppy people from ruining a good day. You could get one of theseIMG_2204.jpeg

Zwarycz

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a few brands I am looking into, but it definitely seems like there's not much out there that's going to stop a rogue bolt the size of the one I picked up unfortunately.

Any experience/ideas with commercial tires like the Toyo M55/ BFG HD Terrain etc?

Zwarycz

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Moore
Member #

In the never ending saga, the tire was repaired but appears to have a slow leak still.

Probably going to have it either swapped out for the spare until I can replace with an LT.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Smooth running OEM tires, and well worn treads pick up the most nails.

Why? Thin carcass, Chinese construction, is my guess.

Even race slicks don't puncture as often.

Cooper ST Maxx
Cooper STT
Kenda RT
Kenda Mt2
Firestone Destination XT
Firestone Mt2

Are my top picks still.

You also need a hydraulic bottle jack, can of ether, and plug kit, to keep Murphy at bay.