Enthusiast I

Salt Lake County, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hello,

In the past 3 or 4 months, I have had 3 separate punctures on 3 tires from rogue bolts/nails that seem to be plaguing the area I commute in. In both cases, the punctures have been from what look to be fairly large bolts and have occurred on Falken Rubitreks and General Grabber ATPs in P rated sizes.

Would an upgrade to an LT tire (probably an E load) help at all in attempting to stifle these bolts/nails? Are there any AT/RT/XT/or MT tires that seem to be specifically good in these scenarios.

I would love to avoid having to get these tires patched so frequently in addition to having a better off-road/load capability.

Thanks!

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

My BFG AT/KO2's and my one Cooper ST/Maxx are heavy, stiff, 3-ply sidewall tires chosen because of general toughness and resistance to puncture, especially in the sidewall area. Never had a problem in the backcountry, but whilst driving around town, I still get a drywall or deck screw in the tread area every few years. These tires have not gone flat when the screws are lodged in them, so that's something I guess.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve had one puncture in over,( honestly I can’t remember when,) but odds are it did happen before, 40 or more years. My father-in-law uses my barn and driveway to the barn to work on his camper and his VWs. Never cleans up after himself, a 1/4” bolt made its way through a BFG AT E. Since then I alway sweep up my drive when he is done using it. There isnt one LT tire over another that will prevent sloppy people from ruining a good day. You could get one of theseIMG_2204.jpeg

Zwarycz

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake County, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a few brands I am looking into, but it definitely seems like there's not much out there that's going to stop a rogue bolt the size of the one I picked up unfortunately.

Any experience/ideas with commercial tires like the Toyo M55/ BFG HD Terrain etc?

RichieFromBoston

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Nahant Ma.
Member #

I goota say Ive ran mud grapplers for 7 years never a prob ever, and then KM3s for the last 2 years and not an issue. And I do miles on and off road.