bielousov.com

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Bielousov
I bought my spacers off of ebay. I have a 2" spacer in the front ($100) and a 1.5" spacer in the back ($175). Right now I only see the rear kit for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-Rear-1-5-With-Camber-Arm-Lift-Kit-For-Honda-Pilot-03-08-/332296058369?fits=Make:Honda|Model:Pilot&hash=item4d5e637601:g:WXIAAOSwgu9ZX~as&vxp=mtr

I installed a set of Firestone air springs in the rear to add a little more height. The air springs have been an amazing investment! They improve the ride comfort, eliminate sag from heavy loads or towing, and improve handling. I did a little research to find an air spring that was the same diameter as the Honda Pilot bags but 1" taller. I chose the Firestone 4135 Coil-Rite Kit ($98) they are still working great after a year.

The kit comes with a bumper that is not compatible with the pilot. I created a custom bumper for the air spring to push against using an 1" thick cutting board.

I am really happy with the results.
So how is your experience with the spacers and air bags off-road? My worry is that those air bags claim up to 1000lb weight, but as soon as I go
I bought my spacers off of ebay. I have a 2" spacer in the front ($100) and a 1.5" spacer in the back ($175). Right now I only see the rear kit for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-Rear-1-5-With-Camber-Arm-Lift-Kit-For-Honda-Pilot-03-08-/332296058369?fits=Make:Honda|Model:Pilot&hash=item4d5e637601:g:WXIAAOSwgu9ZX~as&vxp=mtr

I installed a set of Firestone air springs in the rear to add a little more height. The air springs have been an amazing investment! They improve the ride comfort, eliminate sag from heavy loads or towing, and improve handling. I did a little research to find an air spring that was the same diameter as the Honda Pilot bags but 1" taller. I chose the Firestone 4135 Coil-Rite Kit ($98) they are still working great after a year.

The kit comes with a bumper that is not compatible with the pilot. I created a custom bumper for the air spring to push against using an 1" thick cutting board.

I am really happy with the results.
So how’s the durability of those spacers and air bags off road? My worry is that air bags only claim up to 1000lb weight, so as long as I go diagonal on 2 wheels (and pilot’s suspension doesn’t allow much movement really), each wheel will get twice that weight and there are quite some negative reviews with burst bags photos.

bielousov.com

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Bielousov
Hello all. I just joined OB as a result of a Google search for skid plates for first generation ('03-'08) Pilots. I didn't really find anything skid-plate related, but the search brought me here, which is good, because I've found a group of guys that are my kind of crazy. :smiley: (I'm tired of the "Piloteers" lecturing about how you shouldn't make any changes to the Pilot aside from the addition of a tree-shaped air freshener!)

It's been almost two months since anyone posted to this thread, so I hope you don't me sticking my nose in. I'm excited to see where the OP's build takes him. I hope to learn from you all, and maybe impart a little of the knowledge I've gained so far from my own work and other Pilot-related forums.

I'm not trying to hijack this into my own build thread, but here's what I've installed since acquiring my Pilot (about six months ago), in case anyone is interested for their own rig:
  • 2" Lift (ReadyLift, 'cuz I got it cheap; the one you find on eBay seems to be every bit as good for way less)
  • New rear springs (3/4" longer than OEM) and new rear coil isolators
  • Items 1 and 2 above yielded total lift of 2" in the front and a whopping 3-1/8" in the rear (these are gains made on a saggy old suspension, mind you)
  • Airlift air bags (Model #60909, because my Pilot is lifted)
  • ATF and PS Fluid coolers
  • Headlight upgrades: HIR (halogen infrared) 9011 high beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W low beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W fog lamp bulbs
  • 245/75R16 Wrangler Pro Guard E-range tires
  • Donut spare replacement (boneyard rim; 235/70 GY Wrangler tire [used], because it's all that would fit--inflated--under the Pilot!)
  • Dual NMO antenna mounts (yup...I drilled two huge holes in my roof!)
  • Ham radio (Yaesu FTM-350AR)
  • BT45-HON3 Bluetooth stereo adapter
  • Repairs since acquisition: new radiator; rear main engine seal--man, that was expensive!; new alternator; new plugs; changed all drivetrain fluids; new door checkers (four); about a gazillion interior and dash lights
After the bank account refills, I'm looking at:
  • Front trailer hitch
  • Winch and caddy
  • Wilco Hitchgate of some variety
  • 235/85R16 tires (~31.7" tire)
Before Lift:
View attachment 55663
After Lift:
View attachment 55662
Latest excursion:
View attachment 55664

Again, excited to see where you go Mr. Brooks, and hope I can give something back somewhere along the way. Best of luck to you!
Hey, nice build. Where did you get the longer coil?
Looking for it all over the place.

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
bielousov,.com,

Take a look at posts #61 and #65 of this same thread (page 4, I think). In those posts I identify the part number for the replacement (3/4" "longer") spring as well as a possible 2" longer spring. I don't think the replacement spring I used is really 3/4" longer, it's more like the old spring is 3/4" shorter than what it should be....it's been smooshed for 11 years so it's not as long as a new spring. :grimacing:

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Akuma129

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

So how is your experience with the spacers and air bags off-road? My worry is that those air bags claim up to 1000lb weight, but as soon as I go

So how’s the durability of those spacers and air bags off road? My worry is that air bags only claim up to 1000lb weight, so as long as I go diagonal on 2 wheels (and pilot’s suspension doesn’t allow much movement really), each wheel will get twice that weight and there are quite some negative reviews with burst bags photos.
My Firestone airbags have been very durable. I am currently running my Pilot with swaybars disconnected so my articulation it maxed out. I popped one of my bags with a sawzaw (cutting my swaybar link) and have been running them for a month with a tire patch without any leaks. Check out my build thread for details on my install. (2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Build)

Reactions: JCWages

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Jose (Akuma129),

Nice looking Pilot--at least as far as the underside goes--much cleaner than mine! :blush: Have you got a build thread? I see what looks like some special stuff going on with your Pilot. I'm especially interested in what you used for the auxiliary reverse lights. They look like a perfect fit for the factory cutout that's already there (for red reflectors, I think).

Last edited:

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

I got the springs from Carid:

- AWD 2008, Problem Solver™ Rear Coil Springs (81649) by MOOG®.

Try this link--should get you close: MOOG® - Problem Solver™ Coil Springs Sold in pairs, about $105 shipped for both.

Coil spring isolators (I'm using this term generically) at top and bottom of springs:

- 52686-S3V-023 Rubber, Rear Spring Mounting (need one per spring; big chunk of rubber)
- 52748-S0X-A00 Rubber, Rear Spring Seat (need one per spring; it's not rubber--it's thin rigid plastic)

I think I paid ~$40 at my local Honda stealership for all four isolators. (They give me "friends and family" pricing because I'm in there every week buying some new arcane part. :blush:)

Since installing my lift, I got to wondering if I could have found some kind of generic spring with the same specifications as the OEM (or Moog) spring that was just 2" longer. I haven't tried looking, but that would be a better way to go than the spacer route. I'm thinking if such a spring was out there someone would have found it by now....but maybe not...maybe we can find such a spring. Just a thought...
Thanks for the part#s. Staying tuned if longer, HD springs become available otherwise it will be MOOG

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Aggrex,

Take a trip back to page 4 of this thread, post #65. I found one outfit that will make custom springs for our Pilots that are 2" longer than stock (~$300). No one (to my knowledge) has tried them, but they're the closest thing we've come to a rear end lift that doesn't use spacers (at least on paper). Outside of custom springs, I don' think we're ever going to see commercially-made HD springs (OEM-length, or 2" longer) for the 1st gen Pilot--it's just not a profit/growth market for anyone.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

Reactions: aggrex

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Just a teaser pic for an upcoming build thread. Waiting for a few more parts. Think the coil spacers + new Moog springs will be sufficient for my build. And thanks!

Attachments

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Ooooh, new struts, shocks, LCAs. and all the trimmings Good call! I should have done the same when I did my lift--just refreshed the whole suspension system. Have you got new sway bar bushings and camber bolts on the way? Good chance you'll need the camber bolts--they're only like $20. Oh, and steering tie rod ends--Is that what the two boxes are?

I don't mean to be a smarty-pants, but if you haven't already, get a big can of penetrating lube and start spraying every single fastener in the suspension system (that' you'll be removing--which is pretty much all of them, based on your parts). Do it every day for a week before the big install. It doesn't guarantee you won't have at least one stuck fastener, but it won't hurt.

Good luck! Looking forward to reading your build thread.

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Correct and great tips! Outer tie rods in the boxes. Inners on order. Running Moog links in the rear when the oem rusted away. Lift kit didn't mention camber bolts. Where do you suggest to purchase + brand?

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Oh, almost forgot...

You know your use case better than anyone, and you may not load your Pilot sufficient to sack the suspension, but air bags in the rear suspension is really handy. They're ordinarily a pain to install, but when you have the springs off already, they're a cinch. Even though you don't think you'll use them much, you might consider installing JUST the bags while you have that rear suspension already disassembled. (I don't know if you can get just the bags --I'm just trying to think of a way to save a few bucks.) Air lines, and even a compressor, can be installed with the suspension assembled.

Anyway, just a thought. I use my bags ALL the time! So much so that I even installed on-board air so I can tune 'em for every load.

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
I got my camber bolts on Amazon. (I hope I'm allowed to say that. Erk.)

Here's what I ordered: Specialty Products Company 81280 EZ Cam XR 16mm Adjuster Bolt - Pair ($22)

Most alignment shops will have these on-hand, but they'll charge you double.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The rear lower control arms have adjustment bolts that can seize to the bushings. I had to cut mine out and replace them to get alignment back in spec. You can either replace the bushing or the whole control arm. Here are links to the bushing and adjustment bolts.

FEBEST HAB-037 Rear Control Arm Bushing

Dorman® 31918 - Alignment Cam Bolt Kit

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
B0wfin,

I never noticed that those inboard bolts are an adjustable eccentric bolt. Cool. I just poked my head under my '08 and, sure enough, there are index marks around that bolt, usually indicating that it can be adjusted.

You are you lifted, right? With my 2" I'm having to use adjustable camber arms to get my camber in spec.

On the subject of seized bolts and having to cut stuff, I had a similar problem with the outboard bolt and bushing of the rear Lower Arm (it'd be part # HAB-029 in the diagram you linked)--exactly opposite the bolt and bushing you referenced. On the driver side that bolt and bushing were completely welded together. I had to cut that busing out, remove the whole dang knuckle, track down a new bushing (which, according to the 2008 diagrams, cannot be purchased separately!), get a shop to press it it, then reassemble the whole thing--with a new wheel bearing to boot! Man, what a headache. Cost me a whole week. I found out after the fact that with a little creative engineering and homemade tool fabrication, you can press in that bushing with the knuckle still on the vehicle. Live and learn.

So, 'cuz I'm bored, look at this weirdness from Honda. Maybe the knowledge of this strange way Honda accounts for parts will save someone some time in the future...

According to the 2006 diagram, the Lower Arm outboard bushing is available separately; it's item #15 in this diagram.
However, according to the 2008 diagram, that Lower Arm bushing is not available separately (it's just shown already pressed into the knuckle) in this diagram.

Point being, if a part doesn't come up with your model year, check the model year before and/or after and see if the part you need comes up in those years. (There for a while I thought I was going to have to buy a WHOLE new knuckle just to get a new bushing!)

Fun times.

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

I got my camber bolts on Amazon. (I hope I'm allowed to say that. Erk.)

Here's what I ordered: Specialty Products Company 81280 EZ Cam XR 16mm Adjuster Bolt - Pair ($22)

Most alignment shops will have these on-hand, but they'll charge you double.
Thanks for the item # for the front camber bolts which are relatively inexpensive compared to the other parts (only one kit needed per front strut). From your experience should I install the camber bolts during the suspension upgrade or wait for the alignment report to state the need for additional camber? ReadyLift kit did not mention camber bolts in the instructions except for getting an alignment...lol

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
I (mostly) knew the camber bolts would be needed in the front from the get-go, so I just went ahead and installed them with the lift. No reason you couldn't just rebuild with the original bolts and leave it to the alignment guy to put in the adjustable bolts if he needs them. He probably won't even upcharge you for the install. One thing I learned from all my Jeep builds over the years, every stinkin' vehicle is different! One Pilot will need camber bolts, the other won't. If you're one of the lucky ones, you save $20. Yay.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

B0wfin,

I never noticed that those inboard bolts are an adjustable eccentric bolt. Cool. I just poked my head under my '08 and, sure enough, there are index marks around that bolt, usually indicating that it can be adjusted.

You are you lifted, right? With my 2" I'm having to use adjustable camber arms to get my camber in spec.

On the subject of seized bolts and having to cut stuff, I had a similar problem with the outboard bolt and bushing of the rear Lower Arm (it'd be part # HAB-029 in the diagram you linked)--exactly opposite the bolt and bushing you referenced. On the driver side that bolt and bushing were completely welded together. I had to cut that busing out, remove the whole dang knuckle, track down a new bushing (which, according to the 2008 diagrams, cannot be purchased separately!), get a shop to press it it, then reassemble the whole thing--with a new wheel bearing to boot! Man, what a headache. Cost me a whole week. I found out after the fact that with a little creative engineering and homemade tool fabrication, you can press in that bushing with the knuckle still on the vehicle. Live and learn.

So, 'cuz I'm bored, look at this weirdness from Honda. Maybe the knowledge of this strange way Honda accounts for parts will save someone some time in the future...

According to the 2006 diagram, the Lower Arm outboard bushing is available separately; it's item #15 in this diagram.
However, according to the 2008 diagram, that Lower Arm bushing is not available separately (it's just shown already pressed into the knuckle) in this diagram.

Point being, if a part doesn't come up with your model year, check the model year before and/or after and see if the part you need comes up in those years. (There for a while I thought I was going to have to buy a WHOLE new knuckle just to get a new bushing!)

Fun times.
Yes I am lifted as well and also have adjustable control arms in the rear and camber bolts up front. (here is my build thread (2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Build)

defythenorm

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas, USA
First Name
Louie
Last Name
Galvan
Hello all. I just joined OB as a result of a Google search for skid plates for first generation ('03-'08) Pilots. I didn't really find anything skid-plate related, but the search brought me here, which is good, because I've found a group of guys that are my kind of crazy. :smiley: (I'm tired of the "Piloteers" lecturing about how you shouldn't make any changes to the Pilot aside from the addition of a tree-shaped air freshener!)

It's been almost two months since anyone posted to this thread, so I hope you don't me sticking my nose in. I'm excited to see where the OP's build takes him. I hope to learn from you all, and maybe impart a little of the knowledge I've gained so far from my own work and other Pilot-related forums.

I'm not trying to hijack this into my own build thread, but here's what I've installed since acquiring my Pilot (about six months ago), in case anyone is interested for their own rig:
  • 2" Lift (ReadyLift, 'cuz I got it cheap; the one you find on eBay seems to be every bit as good for way less)
  • New rear springs (3/4" longer than OEM) and new rear coil isolators
  • Items 1 and 2 above yielded total lift of 2" in the front and a whopping 3-1/8" in the rear (these are gains made on a saggy old suspension, mind you)
  • Airlift air bags (Model #60909, because my Pilot is lifted)
  • ATF and PS Fluid coolers
  • Headlight upgrades: HIR (halogen infrared) 9011 high beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W low beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W fog lamp bulbs
  • 245/75R16 Wrangler Pro Guard E-range tires
  • Donut spare replacement (boneyard rim; 235/70 GY Wrangler tire [used], because it's all that would fit--inflated--under the Pilot!)
  • Dual NMO antenna mounts (yup...I drilled two huge holes in my roof!)
  • Ham radio (Yaesu FTM-350AR)
  • BT45-HON3 Bluetooth stereo adapter
  • Repairs since acquisition: new radiator; rear main engine seal--man, that was expensive!; new alternator; new plugs; changed all drivetrain fluids; new door checkers (four); about a gazillion interior and dash lights
After the bank account refills, I'm looking at:
  • Front trailer hitch
  • Winch and caddy
  • Wilco Hitchgate of some variety
  • 235/85R16 tires (~31.7" tire)
Before Lift:
View attachment 55663
After Lift:
View attachment 55662
Latest excursion:
View attachment 55664

Again, excited to see where you go Mr. Brooks, and hope I can give something back somewhere along the way. Best of luck to you!
Yo this is great. Thanks for the post. I have a 2005 Pilot and this is exactly the information I've been looking for.