MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Brooks,

I got the springs from Carid:

- AWD 2008, Problem Solver™ Rear Coil Springs (81649) by MOOG®.

Try this link--should get you close: https://www.carid.com/moog/moog-coil-spring-set-525658599.html Sold in pairs, about $105 shipped for both.

Coil spring isolators (I'm using this term generically) at top and bottom of springs:

- 52686-S3V-023 Rubber, Rear Spring Mounting (need one per spring; big chunk of rubber)
- 52748-S0X-A00 Rubber, Rear Spring Seat (need one per spring; it's not rubber--it's thin rigid plastic)

I think I paid ~$40 at my local Honda stealership for all four isolators. (They give me "friends and family" pricing because I'm in there every week buying some new arcane part. :blush:)

Since installing my lift, I got to wondering if I could have found some kind of generic spring with the same specifications as the OEM (or Moog) spring that was just 2" longer. I haven't tried looking, but that would be a better way to go than the spacer route. I'm thinking if such a spring was out there someone would have found it by now....but maybe not...maybe we can find such a spring. Just a thought...

So far, really happy with the whole lift/spring/isolator combo. Good luck!

Reactions: aggrex

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Brooks,

I got the springs from Carid:

- AWD 2008, Problem Solver™ Rear Coil Springs (81649) by MOOG®.

Try this link--should get you close: https://www.carid.com/moog/moog-coil-spring-set-525658599.html Sold in pairs, about $105 shipped for both.

Coil spring isolators (I'm using this term generically) at top and bottom of springs:

- 52686-S3V-023 Rubber, Rear Spring Mounting (need one per spring; big chunk of rubber)
- 52748-S0X-A00 Rubber, Rear Spring Seat (need one per spring; it's not rubber--it's thin rigid plastic)

I think I paid ~$40 at my local Honda stealership for all four isolators. (They give me "friends and family" pricing because I'm in there every week buying some new arcane part. :blush:)

Since installing my lift, I got to wondering if I could have found some kind of generic spring with the same specifications as the OEM (or Moog) spring that was just 2" longer. I haven't tried looking, but that would be a better way to go than the spacer route. I'm thinking if such a spring was out there someone would have found it by now....but maybe not...maybe we can find such a spring. Just a thought...

So far, really happy with the whole lift/spring/isolator combo. Good luck!
Thanks!! I will defiantly check that out and due to the fact that I need to wait until funds are back up I have the time to check out the possibility of a bigger spring but so far all searching for lifting options has been the spacers. Might be able to figure something out though and if I do I will post it!

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Brooks,

On the subject of longer aftermarket springs (for additional lift), I sorta stumbled on some maybe-useful information. The Moog Problem Solver #81649 springs I mentioned in my earlier post are 0.703 wire gauge, and are 14.75" free height. We need to know some other stuff to custom order our own lift springs, like spring rate, pitch, end type, etc., but wire gauge and free height, are a start. :blush: I requested a few quotes from some custom spring makers...we'll see what they come up with. If the price is right, I may yank my Moog springs and spacers and just get longer springs.

-Mike

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Brooks,

On the subject of longer aftermarket springs (for additional lift), I sorta stumbled on some maybe-useful information. The Moog Problem Solver #81649 springs I mentioned in my earlier post are 0.703 wire gauge, and are 14.75" free height. We need to know some other stuff to custom order our own lift springs, like spring rate, pitch, end type, etc., but wire gauge and free height, are a start. :blush: I requested a few quotes from some custom spring makers...we'll see what they come up with. If the price is right, I may yank my Moog springs and spacers and just get longer springs.

-Mike
Keep me posted... I may be interested if it is not too crazy on price. Still trying to figure out what I will do next but looked at my tires today doing maint. and they looked a little worn. Just checked and I have already driven over 34k in just 15 months. I had to double check the number. bought my tires on at 98k in March 2017. I am at 132k miles now. I am like no wonder I am spending so much on maint.. lol Gonna need to start shopping for new ones soon.

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
So, I got one quote back, from www.coilsprings.com. Pair of rear springs for the Pilot, +2", $298.60. Which isn't all that bad, really, considering you get new springs out of the deal (which are about $105). I don't know if they'll have the same end shapes, etc.--OEM springs kinda taper down a little on the ends. The form you fill out to get a spring quote asks for the OEM part number, so I'm guessing they have--or can get--some indication of what the spring specifications/shape should be, and that's what they use to custom make their springs. (Maybe--that could all be just wishful thinking.)

Anyway, throw in some eBay parts for the front lift (spacers and maybe camber bolts) and some camber arms for the back, and you'd have a pretty decent lift.

Reactions: mfletch300

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

Hey,
its been awhile. i recently purchased a Dometic cfx65dz and i have had it in the Pilot for day trips here and there but i bought it for longer trips like my overland expo east trip in November and a few overnight trips planned this summer. i have been on the piloteers forum a few times and i am not educated enough electrically to attempt any modifications but does anyone have a work around for a live accessory socket, a dual battery solution, or an easy solar setup? i am thinking i could have a garage do the mod on the accessory socket for me as Honda dealership here in Boston won't do it. i have been on the regular forums and done some research on the solar side of things and have done some research on goal zeroes.
thanks for any help!

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Hey,
its been awhile. i recently purchased a Dometic cfx65dz and i have had it in the Pilot for day trips here and there but i bought it for longer trips like my overland expo east trip in November and a few overnight trips planned this summer. i have been on the piloteers forum a few times and i am not educated enough electrically to attempt any modifications but does anyone have a work around for a live accessory socket, a dual battery solution, or an easy solar setup? i am thinking i could have a garage do the mod on the accessory socket for me as Honda dealership here in Boston won't do it. i have been on the regular forums and done some research on the solar side of things and have done some research on goal zeroes.
thanks for any help!
I have not done any solar work but adding an additional line to the back would not be too hard. Just make sure you put a fuse in the line.

That-American

Rank 0

Traveler I

I just got done reading this forum while on the bus before School started lol. This has given me great inspiration as I'm 16 and am looking for other options that are realitively cheap that aren't trucks. As I already have a 2005 Rav4 S FWD as a first vehicle. I'm keeping it for the first year or so of me driving. But would like to upgrade to an AWD vehicle like a Honda Pilot or similar. Will deffinatly subscribe to this thread and can't wait to see the progress that unfolds! :)

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I just got done reading this forum while on the bus before School started lol. This has given me great inspiration as I'm 16 and am looking for other options that are realitively cheap that aren't trucks. As I already have a 2005 Rav4 S FWD as a first vehicle. I'm keeping it for the first year or so of me driving. But would like to upgrade to an AWD vehicle like a Honda Pilot or similar. Will deffinatly subscribe to this thread and can't wait to see the progress that unfolds! :)
I like my Pilot so much that I am going to buy another after I sell my 04 CR-V. In my experience they are great underrated vehicles.

Here are some of the latest adventures the Pilot has carried us through.

Exploring a sand ravine:

Driving off road at night:

Getting stuck in the mud:

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I finally got around to starting my skid plate protect. I started this project with an old fuel tank skid plate that I found at a junk yard for $30. (I think it was an f250 skid plate) As long as you can find a skid plate longer than the subframe bellow the Pilot you basically just cut to fit and bolt it up. On the passenger side I drilled a 1/2 hole through the subframe's 2 existing holes. On the driver side I used a u-bolt through two of the big holes in the subframe. I made sure to cut a rectangle out in the right place so I can change the oil without removing the plate. All of the bolts are secured with split washers to prevent them rattling loose. My next phase will be to create a front portion so the plate slides up and over terrain. It is a little crude, but it is better than nothing.

IMG_3995.JPG IMG_3992.JPG

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Train them young...haha. Let my 12yr old drive the Pilot over the weekend and navigate a rutted out wash. She did pretty good, minus the brief foot to the floor after she got “stuck”
Lol, doing the same thing with my boy here in NC. He has a long way to go before driving my new 4runner [emoji3]. 215k miles on my Pilot with some heavy driving in Alaska for 3 years. She has done me very well. Good luck with your daughter!20190128_155512.jpeg

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Lol, doing the same thing with my boy here in NC. He has a long way to go before driving my new 4runner [emoji3]. 215k miles on my Pilot with some heavy driving in Alaska for 3 years. She has done me very well. Good luck with your daughter!View attachment 85824
Clean as a whistle.....215k hard miles! I have used VTM hundreds of times with no issues.Screenshot_2019-02-15-06-01-04.jpeg

Matthew Tirado

Rank II

Member I

Nikiski, Alaska, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Tirado
Member #

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

I finally got around to starting my skid plate protect. I started this project with an old fuel tank skid plate that I found at a junk yard for $30. (I think it was an f250 skid plate) As long as you can find a skid plate longer than the subframe bellow the Pilot you basically just cut to fit and bolt it up. On the passenger side I drilled a 1/2 hole through the subframe's 2 existing holes. On the driver side I used a u-bolt through two of the big holes in the subframe. I made sure to cut a rectangle out in the right place so I can change the oil without removing the plate. All of the bolts are secured with split washers to prevent them rattling loose. My next phase will be to create a front portion so the plate slides up and over terrain. It is a little crude, but it is better than nothing.

View attachment 74228 View attachment 74229
Great idea. I will be looking at my local u pull it![emoji106]

mfletch300

Rank 0

Traveler I

So, I got one quote back. Pair of rear springs for the Pilot, +2", $298.60. Which isn't all that bad, really, considering you get new springs out of the deal (which are about $105). I don't know if they'll have the same end shapes, etc.--OEM springs kinda taper down a little on the ends. The form you fill out to get a spring quote asks for the OEM part number, so I'm guessing they have--or can get--some indication of what the spring specifications/shape should be, and that's what they use to custom make their springs. (Maybe--that could all be just wishful thinking.)

Anyway, throw in some eBay parts for the front lift (spacers and maybe camber bolts) and some camber arms for the back, and you'd have a pretty decent lift.
Hey Mike, just reading through all these comments about lift options...did you end up trying the longer springs? Just purchased an 06 pilot and would be interested in hearing how it turned out if so!

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Hey Guys!

Well, I figured out notifications from OB were going to my spam folder. So, sorry @mfletch300 for not seeing your post earlier!

The answer is no, I have not tried the longer springs. I used up a big chunk of my Pilot play money on an on-board compressor for my air springs. So the longer springs will have to wait. Wish I could help you!

If you try 'em, let us know how it goes. I think we'd all be interested.

Mr. Brooks: What are you on to next with your build? I'm following you and b0wfin...lots of cool stuff going on!

In the spirit of some give-back...Anybody interested in mounting radios (ham, CB, etc) in their Pilots? I attached a snap of my install. I used a product for mounting the speaker/mic that I've not seen mentioned in the Pilot world so far: Panavise InDash Mount #75117-903. I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting.

20190507_125432.jpg20190507_125510.jpg20190507_125526.jpg

-Mike