• HTML tutorial

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

@Brooks were you able to figure out recovery points front and back for the Pilot? Are you using the hitches that you installed and proposed for the front? I am going to build mine out so I will be watching your progress and see what I can get going. Will be starting slowly. Knee replacement in November so next spring I will be able to ramp up for the season.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
My plan is to use the front mount hitch when I install it for the front recovery point as that seems to be the strongest thing that will be on the front. I am taking mine slow as well and need to search a lot for parts for it. I may get a winch that mounts to the hitch and wire it with a plug for both the front and rear. I think the front hitch will be the next thing I get then I need to focus on is the suspension. Decided on the 2" lift kit and adding air bags for the rear to help with the added weight I carry.

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

My plan is to use the front mount hitch when I install it for the front recovery point as that seems to be the strongest thing that will be on the front. I am taking mine slow as well and need to search a lot for parts for it. I may get a winch that mounts to the hitch and wire it with a plug for both the front and rear. I think the front hitch will be the next thing I get then I need to focus on is the suspension. Decided on the 2" lift kit and adding air bags for the rear to help with the added weight I carry.

I had noticed you were looking at a front hitch and had seen in other Honda forums that it was suggested. I need to do my 50K tune up when i get back from this weekend as my first line item. then i will look at both hitches and tires. What sort of drawer system were you thinking about? I know that you use the third row seats so you couldn't go in that direction. I don't need the 3rd row so I am thinking in future that could be an interesting option. On my short list will be recovery systems, roof rack, and awning. Did you have to change from your basket style rack because of your RTT?
thanks for your thoughts! they have been very helpful.
Robert

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

I had noticed you were looking at a front hitch and had seen in other Honda forums that it was suggested. I need to do my 50K tune up when i get back from this weekend as my first line item. then i will look at both hitches and tires. What sort of drawer system were you thinking about? I know that you use the third row seats so you couldn't go in that direction. I don't need the 3rd row so I am thinking in future that could be an interesting option. On my short list will be recovery systems, roof rack, and awning. Did you have to change from your basket style rack because of your RTT?
thanks for your thoughts! they have been very helpful.
Robert
I am actually thinking of not using the 3rd row anymore. It is nice to have but the space can be better used and if need be we will use a second vehicle. I also was thinking that removing the 3rd row completely and using the space for my dual battery setup (maybe 2 extra batteries) would be a good idea. Still throwing the idea around but like the idea of the fridge/freezer rather than my cooler but that is a little ways off. As far as the RRT i took the basket I was using off and put the RRT right on the rails that the crossbars connect to and removed the crossbars as well. I wanted it as low to the roof as possible to keep the height down. With the tent I could not use the basket anyway and if I need it I can simply take down the tent and out the basket. It works well and has not dropped fuel economy too much. About 1-2 mpg from what I can tell depending on how fast I drive.

Reactions: tobyjefe

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

Has anyone addressed the exhaust system underneath? I went to the OB East trip this weekend and had a fantastic time but didn't drive my Pilot. There is barely 6-7" underneath the exhaust system. I had visions that would lose the whole thing.
I just got Kumho AT51 tires and I am very pleased with them so far. Not loud on the highway and they track well. This winter will be the test once my surgeon ok's me to drive. Replacing left knee nov 27th.
The space inside The Pilot can surely be maximized with a drawer system and a roof rack or RTT. My Mtn bike needs to go somewhere besides inside but security becomes an issue.
Did anyone else get away this weekend?

Traveler I

Seattle
Also have a 06 pilot and am watching this thread. I have been eyeballing the eBay lift and would love to hear a review. I run a rear hitch with a shackle for recovery and am curious about the front hitch when you get it. I need a full size spar badly and it’s up on my list.

Traveler I

Seattle
Did some research on a front hitch you lose 2 inches of front ground clearance so no go. But I was thinking you could use an rv tow setup or weld something up on the front beam and rails

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Did some research on a front hitch you lose 2 inches of front ground clearance so no go. But I was thinking you could use an rv tow setup or weld something up on the front beam and rails
I realized that as well but have not decided if that with the 2” lift would be ok. There is another pilot that has both and he stated no issues. Looked at the eb tow setup but not sure if that would be strong enough. Not real sure what I am doing yet and I have had to take a break from the build as we just bought a house and the work on that takes priority. Hope to get back to modding the pilot this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Matthew Tirado

Rank II

Member I

Nikiski, Alaska, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Tirado
Member #

Awesome to see this forum, I love off-road adventures. I am gonna start looking into building my pilot. We have a big family so removing the 3rd row is not an option. I think any adventure my pilot could handle will be just right to introduced my wife to off-road adventures. The kids are in for sure!

Reactions: CFFC777

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Awesome to see this forum, I love off-road adventures. I am gonna start looking into building my pilot. We have a big family so removing the 3rd row is not an option. I think any adventure my pilot could handle will be just right to introduced my wife to off-road adventures. The kids are in for sure!
Finding offroad parts can be challenging but I do find the pilot to be able to tackle what I have thrown at it. I go back and forth with the 3rd row. I do not use it much but am happy to have it when i do need it.
Good luck getting the wife into this. It took a bit to get my wife into camping but the portable toilet helped a lot lol!

Matthew Tirado

Rank II

Member I

Nikiski, Alaska, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Tirado
Member #

Finding offroad parts can be challenging but I do find the pilot to be able to tackle what I have thrown at it. I go back and forth with the 3rd row. I do not use it much but am happy to have it when i do need it.
Good luck getting the wife into this. It took a bit to get my wife into camping but the portable toilet helped a lot lol!
Thanks, my wife likes camping she is just not a fan of taking risks. I live in AZ so the desert terrain can be relentless even on easy/moderate trails. But, she is open to trying it. It'll be a fun vehicle to have for a bit with the hopes she enjoys it as much as I do. If that happens then maybe my dream of a land cruiser is in the future.

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Thank you @BrooksTravelAdventures for starting this discussion and for keeping us up to date!

I have just discovered OB and so I am currently learning the ins and outs of the Forum, but I am loving everything so far! Just need to figure out the app...

Anyway, I have a 2011 Pilot that I am trying to decide what to do with. I love not having car payments anymore, but have been nervous about building it up because I have been unsure of the Pilot’s capabilities. To see a few of you all looking to do the same makes me feel at least like I am in good company and that I am maybe not crazy [emoji6]

So far I have gone with some Toyo Open Country AT II’s that are a little wider than stock, but getting to some 31”’s to give me a little bit of clearance sure would make me feel a lot better taking it off the beaten path.

All of the discussion points have been awesome for me and I am really excited to see how things go for folks!!! Hopefully I will be stepping out a bit too and can start sharing as well!

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Hello all. I just joined OB as a result of a Google search for skid plates for first generation ('03-'08) Pilots. I didn't really find anything skid-plate related, but the search brought me here, which is good, because I've found a group of guys that are my kind of crazy. :smiley: (I'm tired of the "Piloteers" lecturing about how you shouldn't make any changes to the Pilot aside from the addition of a tree-shaped air freshener!)

It's been almost two months since anyone posted to this thread, so I hope you don't me sticking my nose in. I'm excited to see where the OP's build takes him. I hope to learn from you all, and maybe impart a little of the knowledge I've gained so far from my own work and other Pilot-related forums.

I'm not trying to hijack this into my own build thread, but here's what I've installed since acquiring my Pilot (about six months ago), in case anyone is interested for their own rig:
  • 2" Lift (ReadyLift, 'cuz I got it cheap; the one you find on eBay seems to be every bit as good for way less)
  • New rear springs (3/4" longer than OEM) and new rear coil isolators
  • Items 1 and 2 above yielded total lift of 2" in the front and a whopping 3-1/8" in the rear (these are gains made on a saggy old suspension, mind you)
  • Airlift air bags (Model #60909, because my Pilot is lifted)
  • ATF and PS Fluid coolers
  • Headlight upgrades: HIR (halogen infrared) 9011 high beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W low beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W fog lamp bulbs
  • 245/75R16 Wrangler Pro Guard E-range tires
  • Donut spare replacement (boneyard rim; 235/70 GY Wrangler tire [used], because it's all that would fit--inflated--under the Pilot!)
  • Dual NMO antenna mounts (yup...I drilled two huge holes in my roof!)
  • Ham radio (Yaesu FTM-350AR)
  • BT45-HON3 Bluetooth stereo adapter
  • Repairs since acquisition: new radiator; rear main engine seal--man, that was expensive!; new alternator; new plugs; changed all drivetrain fluids; new door checkers (four); about a gazillion interior and dash lights
After the bank account refills, I'm looking at:
  • Front trailer hitch
  • Winch and caddy
  • Wilco Hitchgate of some variety
  • 235/85R16 tires (~31.7" tire)
Before Lift:
Before.jpeg
After Lift:
After.jpeg
Latest excursion:
WhyLifted.jpeg

Again, excited to see where you go Mr. Brooks, and hope I can give something back somewhere along the way. Best of luck to you!

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Hello all. I just joined OB as a result of a Google search for skid plates for first generation ('03-'08) Pilots. I didn't really find anything skid-plate related, but the search brought me here, which is good, because I've found a group of guys that are my kind of crazy. :smiley: (I'm tired of the "Piloteers" lecturing about how you shouldn't make any changes to the Pilot aside from the addition of a tree-shaped air freshener!)

It's been almost two months since anyone posted to this thread, so I hope you don't me sticking my nose in. I'm excited to see where the OP's build takes him. I hope to learn from you all, and maybe impart a little of the knowledge I've gained so far from my own work and other Pilot-related forums.

I'm not trying to hijack this into my own build thread, but here's what I've installed since acquiring my Pilot (about six months ago), in case anyone is interested for their own rig:
  • 2" Lift (ReadyLift, 'cuz I got it cheap; the one you find on eBay seems to be every bit as good for way less)
  • New rear springs (3/4" longer than OEM) and new rear coil isolators
  • Items 1 and 2 above yielded total lift of 2" in the front and a whopping 3-1/8" in the rear (these are gains made on a saggy old suspension, mind you)
  • Airlift air bags (Model #60909, because my Pilot is lifted)
  • ATF and PS Fluid coolers
  • Headlight upgrades: HIR (halogen infrared) 9011 high beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W low beam headlamp bulbs; H9 65W fog lamp bulbs
  • 245/75R16 Wrangler Pro Guard E-range tires
  • Donut spare replacement (boneyard rim; 235/70 GY Wrangler tire [used], because it's all that would fit--inflated--under the Pilot!)
  • Dual NMO antenna mounts (yup...I drilled two huge holes in my roof!)
  • Ham radio (Yaesu FTM-350AR)
  • BT45-HON3 Bluetooth stereo adapter
  • Repairs since acquisition: new radiator; rear main engine seal--man, that was expensive!; new alternator; new plugs; changed all drivetrain fluids; new door checkers (four); about a gazillion interior and dash lights
After the bank account refills, I'm looking at:
  • Front trailer hitch
  • Winch and caddy
  • Wilco Hitchgate of some variety
  • 235/85R16 tires (~31.7" tire)
Before Lift:
View attachment 55663
After Lift:
View attachment 55662
Latest excursion:
View attachment 55664

Again, excited to see where you go Mr. Brooks, and hope I can give something back somewhere along the way. Best of luck to you!
Nice looking pilot you have there. Funny how people say they are not good offroad but the last time I was at Peter's Point Beach there were lifted 4x4 trucks having a hard time getting out and I just drove around like nothing.

No Worries on hijacking the thread. We are all here for the same reason. I have had to take a bit of a break modding the pilot due to us purchasing a house and doing a complete renovation, if you think you can spend money on a rig... LOL. I also had to do my timing belt, wheel bearings, VTM, and Trans fluid change.

What rear springs did you use? The next mod will be lifting the pilot after I make my A/C mount for the RTT. (Need to keep the wife happy.)

As far as skid plates you will need to have them custom as no one sells them that I have found. I also am looking at the Wilco tire carriers.

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Thank you @BrooksTravelAdventures for starting this discussion and for keeping us up to date!

I have just discovered OB and so I am currently learning the ins and outs of the Forum, but I am loving everything so far! Just need to figure out the app...

Anyway, I have a 2011 Pilot that I am trying to decide what to do with. I love not having car payments anymore, but have been nervous about building it up because I have been unsure of the Pilot’s capabilities. To see a few of you all looking to do the same makes me feel at least like I am in good company and that I am maybe not crazy [emoji6]

So far I have gone with some Toyo Open Country AT II’s that are a little wider than stock, but getting to some 31”’s to give me a little bit of clearance sure would make me feel a lot better taking it off the beaten path.

All of the discussion points have been awesome for me and I am really excited to see how things go for folks!!! Hopefully I will be stepping out a bit too and can start sharing as well!

It can be challenging to find parts but the pilot is not bad offroad. I used to have a 2015 pilot but was 2wd. Got great deal on the one I have now, (it was my mothers) and take it everywhere!