• HTML tutorial

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Here is some footage from two of my recent dirt road exploration.

2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Adventure: Discovering a Hidden Beach on the Edisto River ()

2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Adventure: Beech Mountain's Foggy Forest ()
Very cool and I subscribed to your channel! VTM-4 does work well when engaged. I really need to lift mine. lol

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

I have enjoyed these posts as I have a '07 Pilot and wondering what and how to build it up for more adventures. It is my only vehicle but I don't need it to commute. Going to look for your YouTube channel now.
Keep posting!
Robert

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

I have enjoyed these posts as I have a '07 Pilot and wondering what and how to build it up for more adventures. It is my only vehicle but I don't need it to commute. Going to look for your YouTube channel now.
Keep posting!
Robert
Thanks. I will be updating as I add to it. So manny things I want need to prioritize. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

Yes! Just subscribed to your thread. Although similar but not exactly the same vehicle, I've got a '12 MDX.

I wonder if the Pilot of the same generation as my MDX has spacers and if they'd fit...
I think they do as do the ridgelines but not sure if they work as there are some differences. it is defiantly hard to find parts for these but that makes them unique.

Reactions: WindyCity_MDX

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

I am a little on the fence as to build this up or trade it in for a pickup. If I modify it I feel it will affect trade in value. It only has 42k miles on it. That being said I would be fairly happy building this up with bolt on equipment in the mean time for some good fun.
I am going on a road trip to Asheville in about 3 weeks for Mtn biking and camping. Then camp/bike hopping on the way back up to Boston.

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

@Brooks Travel Adventures , just curious to know where were you thinking about having the light bar mounted?
I Have 2 locations I am debating. One would be in the front bumper the other would be if I do the custom roof rack I am thinking about. Not sure yet. I am debating if I need to make a rack that will hold the tent and give some room in front of the tent for storage but I have not decided yet.

Reactions: WindyCity_MDX

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

I am a little on the fence as to build this up or trade it in for a pickup. If I modify it I feel it will affect trade in value. It only has 42k miles on it. That being said I would be fairly happy building this up with bolt on equipment in the mean time for some good fun.
I am going on a road trip to Asheville in about 3 weeks for Mtn biking and camping. Then camp/bike hopping on the way back up to Boston.
I was as well but the pilot has proven very capable so far and I got a good deal and it was a one owner that took great care of it. (it was my moms) I also like the fact that you do not see many set up for this kind of stuff but that does make finding parts a challenge.

Reactions: tobyjefe

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I Have 2 locations I am debating. One would be in the front bumper the other would be if I do the custom roof rack I am thinking about. Not sure yet. I am debating if I need to make a rack that will hold the tent and give some room in front of the tent for storage but I have not decided yet.
The stealthy approach would be in the bumper, hands-down. That's what I would suggest.
But you will probably get a broader distribution of light while mounted higher on the roof rack.

Your 1st gen Pilot has a nice rectangular opening in the front bumper and it looks ideal for a light bar right there! I wonder what kind of work would be necessary to mount a light bar there and how much "stuff" is behind that opening.

Brooks Travel Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kissimmee, FL
Member #

N
The stealthy approach would be in the bumper, hands-down. That's what I would suggest.
But you will probably get a broader distribution of light while mounted higher on the roof rack.

Your 1st gen Pilot has a nice rectangular opening in the front bumper and it looks ideal for a light bar right there! I wonder what kind of work would be necessary to mount a light bar there and how much "stuff" is behind that opening.
not much as I have seen it there on another one. That is the location that I will probably end up with but waiting to see what I do with the rack. Also would be easier to wire up.

Reactions: heartdok

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

What are the favorite roof racks in this group? I am looking at a few but get stumped when they don't accommodate hondas. Any favorites? Long term needs will be light bar, RTT, and awning. As well as hylift jack, and shovel. Things are slow now as money is tight. Next summer I will have more freedom.

OB 7199

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Englishville, Michigan
Member #

Nice. I just sold my 2004 pilot. It had over 250,000 mile and was still going strong. Honda makes a great vehicle. It will make a great over lander for you.

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

@Brooks were you able to figure out recovery points front and back for the Pilot? Are you using the hitches that you installed and proposed for the front? I am going to build mine out so I will be watching your progress and see what I can get going. Will be starting slowly. Knee replacement in November so next spring I will be able to ramp up for the season.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk