Rank II

Contributor II

San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
First Name
JonathanTrish
Last Name
Volzke
Member #

What is everyone using for a bathroom while overlanding? What privacy shelter? We had bought one off of Amazon that was sort of a pop-up model but after 3-4 days in the desert, climbing in and out of it was too much of a chore. What do folks recommend that won't break the bank?

Reactions: Glen Canning

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What do you define as "breaking the bank"?

Are you looking for something freestanding, or something that's attached to your rig?

We've used a pop up shelter for a couple years, and it works well. I did just buy a vehicle mounted shelter as well (just delivered today, so no review yet). I travel with my wife, and 5yo daughter, so privacy when doing their business is paramount when in groups. I plan to keep the pop up in the trailer for base camping, and when we go exploring, we'll have the vehicle mounted shelter (also for showers on longer trips).

If you're looking for a vehicle mounted version, it's hard to beat the price of this one:

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I overland in an F350 with an AT Habitat camper. It’s big and I’m spoiled, though there are trade offs where I can go.

I have two toilet solutions
1 - (Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Portable Toilet Seat | REI Co-op). This is simple and cheap and my go to setup.
2 - Wrappon toilet (expensive, complicated). I bought this hoping my wife would join me camping, didn’t work go figure. It works well but I wouldn’t spend the cash again.

Showers/shelter - I recently installed a Joolca water heater unit. I haven’t field tested it yet, but it’ll be great on long trips when I want a hot shower. I do have a pop-up structure (confining, PITA breakdown) and vehicle mounted enclosure (DFG Offroad brand). Either works, but I discovered the vehicle mounted solution doesn’t deliver when windy. I have been known to hang a shower curtain off the back window of my truck camper just to get it done quickly … often simple is best.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I mostly have been doing solo trips or with my 7 year old son. My wife has declined to join our last few trips. Last summer I picked up a Home Depot bucket ($4.95), a Reliance bucket lid (15.95), and Double Duty Bags ($17.95/6) $38.85. It has done the trick on several dispersed camping trips.

If my wife were to join us, I'd look into a 2 room privacy tent we can use for a shower down the road.

IMG_4363.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
What is everyone using for a bathroom while overlanding? What privacy shelter? We had bought one off of Amazon that was sort of a pop-up model but after 3-4 days in the desert, climbing in and out of it was too much of a chore. What do folks recommend that won't break the bank?
Climbing in and out of what? Is this shelter on top of your vehicle? Are you in a RTT and having to climb down to use the bathroom? Just trying to understand.
Zim

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My wife and I do a fair amount of winter campting. That means -20F is not uncommon. I am in the process of putting a diverter valve on the hot air output from my diesel heater and plumbing it over to the "out house". That way you can heat it up before doing your business. After our last winter outing, my wife informed me that she will no longer go if she has to scrape ice off of the toilet seat.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I also bought a cheap pop up from amazon that works if there is no wind. As soon as the wind picks up, that thing collapses.

I now I have a shower/privacy tent attached to my roof rack. Worked well so far.

Volzkes

Rank II

Contributor II

San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
First Name
JonathanTrish
Last Name
Volzke
Member #

Climbing in and out of what? Is this shelter on top of your vehicle? Are you in a RTT and having to climb down to use the bathroom? Just trying to understand.
Zim
Climbing in and out of the little pop up shelter we had ... In the middle of the night.

Undert0e

Rank II

Enthusiast I

United States
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Utah
Luggable Loo seat and a 5 gal bucket from Lowes. We put it in the annex of our kingdom 6 tent. The annex is used as a bathroom and closet where we keep clothes in waterproof boxes. I have an outdoor rug that we roll out in the annex as well.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Todd34

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Evers
Member #

I just bought a shelter to attach to my roof rack. The cheap Amazon shelter that I bought on the cheap was a pain to set up.