Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Once I got home, I immediately began wrenching on it and just as I had feared on the turnpike, as soon as I took tension off of the belt the power steering pulley and shaft fell right out of the pump. I personally have never seen that before!
16195198_1364130770325687_6259499403171914046_n.jpg

Reactions: jsalanitro

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

It was pretty discomforting to see the amount of singe on my exhaust wrap after the event..
16174545_1364130746992356_3732435559053338811_n.jpg

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yup your right. And thanks! I need this thing for my daily commute so I didn't have a choice but to fix it haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Same here... wife and I both have vehicles and both of us work every day so we have to make sure if it breaks it is fixed ASAP so we can get kids to daycare and our butts to work. lol

Reactions: Greg Galbo

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I had some power steering issues when I first go my XJ- had to replace pump 4 times until one finally quite screaming at me, also replaced the steering gear box and all hoses. Then 6mo later the PS pump went out AGAIN, luckily warranty covered it. Funny thing was this post on Instagram- I made it and couldn't resist posting on IG and laughing my ass off.

Capture.PNG

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

I had some power steering issues when I first go my XJ- had to replace pump 4 times until one finally quite screaming at me, also replaced the steering gear box and all hoses. Then 6mo later the PS pump went out AGAIN, luckily warranty covered it. Funny thing was this post on Instagram- I made it and couldn't resist posting on IG and laughing my ass off.

View attachment 14680
haha ok, that post is hilarious! and yup your kinda confirming my fears. Steering still doesn't feel quite right although it works. I'm concerned there is metal shavings in my box and im going to have to replace that eventually. Although i did replace the high pressure and low pressure return line. as well as flush the system the best i could 5 different times. How quickly did you have to replace the pump and box?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

haha ok, that post is hilarious! and yup your kinda confirming my fears. Steering still doesn't feel quite right although it works. I'm concerned there is metal shavings in my box and im going to have to replace that eventually. Although i did replace the high pressure and low pressure return line. as well as flush the system the best i could 5 different times. How quickly did you have to replace the pump and box?

After the 3rd pump failed within one week i replaced everything just to get rid of the issue. It worked, until this last pump failed. They flushed it again and put another pump on and all has worked great. I usually would do this work myself but this was covered under warranty.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

After the 3rd pump failed within one week i replaced everything just to get rid of the issue. It worked, until this last pump failed. They flushed it again and put another pump on and all has worked great. I usually would do this work myself but this was covered under warranty.
If you do replace the box, look into the Durango box mod. I don't remember the details but supposedly there is a set of years that the durango steering boxes were almost a direct swap for the XJ boxes and they are heavier duty. There was something different about the pitman arms from the XJ to durango boxes tho. I think you have to put an XJ pitman arm on the Durango box for it to work but it bolts right up.

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

If you do replace the box, look into the Durango box mod. I don't remember the details but supposedly there is a set of years that the durango steering boxes were almost a direct swap for the XJ boxes and they are heavier duty. There was something different about the pitman arms from the XJ to durango boxes tho. I think you have to put an XJ pitman arm on the Durango box for it to work but it bolts right up.
Yup I had already looked into it! It's exactly what you said. XJ pitman arm on the Durango box. I would also put a steering box brace in as well. Even though I only plan on running 31s, heavier duty steering never hurt anyone! Thanks man!

Jason Galbo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

West Chester, Pa
Member #

Yup I had already looked into it! It's exactly what you said. XJ pitman arm on the Durango box. I would also put a steering box brace in as well. Even though I only plan on running 31s, heavier duty steering never hurt anyone! Thanks man!

The Durango box is built for thirty ones so it'd be perfect! Plus plans change so who knows!

Reactions: Greg Galbo