Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
How and where can I find places to get off the grid and overland camp? I want to be able to find a place off trail and camp. Is this possible or is it restricted?

Very new to this. Thanks
This can be region dependant. Most BLM land is free, no more than 14 days in a few month period. a lot of places have some rock firepits made up for known camp spots, others you can just pull into a non-vegitation spot off the trail. Do pay attention to signs that say no camping, or have day limits. There are also a lot of Wildlife Management areas that have camping, For these I would call ahead to make sure camping is allowed. Last Year I drove all the way to Buenos Aires WMA cause it said there was camping on their site, and I got there and thete was a no camping sign at the entrance.

I did notice the further east you go the less government land there is that has free areas to camp.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

Unfortunately, there is a relative scarcity of public land east of the Rockies. Out west, the BLM, National Forests, some National Park Service units and many of the National Wildlife Refuges generally offer what they call 'Dispersed Camping'...basically anywhere you want within reason and following the rules about not trashing the area. Keep in mind that except for state Vehicular Recreation Areas (Texas calls them OHV Venues), operating a vehicle off the road is not allowed. For vehicles, road = trail. Most of the dispersed camping consists of camping next to the vehicle in previously used sites just off the road/trail.

LoganTX86

Rank II

Member I

Royse City, Rockwall County, Texas, United States
First Name
Logan
Last Name
Riley
Member #

How and where can I find places to get off the grid and overland camp? I want to be able to find a place off trail and camp. Is this possible or is it restricted?

Very new to this. Thanks
This can be region dependant. Most BLM land is free, no more than 14 days in a few month period. a lot of places have some rock firepits made up for known camp spots, others you can just pull into a non-vegitation spot off the trail. Do pay attention to signs that say no camping, or have day limits. There are also a lot of Wildlife Management areas that have camping, For these I would call ahead to make sure camping is allowed. Last Year I drove all the way to Buenos Aires WMA cause it said there was camping on their site, and I got there and thete was a no camping sign at the entrance.

I did notice the further east you go the less government land there is that has free areas to camp.
Great answer. Thanks for the response

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
In Canada wild camping is always allowed in Canada if it is not explicitly prohibited. There's a nationwide ban on wild camping in cities, national parks, and provincial parks; you can camp on Crown Land freely (all of the above obviously assuming that you are sensible, responsible, look after the area, prevent forest fires, etc...). In Labrador there are hardly any formal campgrounds and the advice entering Labrador at the Visitors' Centre is "camp wherever you like".

PS: "wild camping" doesn't have to be primitive.

Reactions: rgallant

Jonathon

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
It depends greatly on location. To expand on what K12 said. If you are out west BLM or National forest even to an extent as a lot of open camping. For Forest Service call the local ranger station for info. It'll be a lot more direct but you can often times learn of closures ahead of time and save yourself some headache. Also the overland bound app has some locations that others have been to saved for reference and they have reviews on them.
The further east you go the harder this is. It also can verify greatly from state to state. For example I am in Oklahoma currently and there is mainly just camp grounds here. However Arizona on the other hand I have down a lot of remote camping with no sites or campgrounds.