Rank III

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Yee
Member #

Hi folks! Does anybody in the norcal region know of a shop that installs aftermarket brakes? With the added weight of the vehicle, I can hear my OEM front brakes squeal specially going downhill in Sonora Pass. I'm specifically looking at PowerBrake

Thanks in advance for your input.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
First a couple of questions. What is your build including tire size? Why do you need a big brake kit or a major brake upgrade?

In case you don't understand braking, let me lay out a few things so you can make sure you get what you need (or for others reading this thinking the same)

In order to stop you need two things, Force and Friction. Your hydraulics, pedal and booster are your force and your pad/rotors are friction. "

The definition of brakes is literally "kinetic energy being converted to thermal through friction". The issue we have with our rigs is, more weight = more heat. Bigger tires= more leverage against the rotor=more heat. All this mean fade. Fade" is a byproduct of heat (simply put) You don't want fade. "Fade" is loss of friction due to heat.

Pads to rotors (friction) generate heat, rotors dissipate heat.

Bigger brakes (rotors) gives you better ability to absorb heat and more leverage against the tire. Larger caliper/pad gives more friction area.

What we need to do to counter our big tired overweight vehicles is increase the friction, leverage and or force. Anything we do will increase heat. Heat is our problem.

On my builds, I start with real good rotors and match my pads to how much stopping I need. If that doesn't cut it, now I look at big brake kits. I have only had to increase rotor size once. That was on my TJ and I did it by going to bigger axles (Bigger brakes go with it.)

My current Cruiser build is running Stop Tech rotors and pads. I can tell the rotor is enough for the heat because of the color of the rotor. darker is hotter but bluing and cracking mean you overheated the metal. This will cause rotor cracking and breakage. I have gotten my rotors bright orange with no ill effects with the rotor color being a darker brown.
Pad wise....Pads are like sand paper. Higher grit=better bite (think 80 grit sand paper) but more heat and possibly fade. You can change to a less "grabby" pad (240 grit). Less susceptible to fade but you need more force.

Currently I have too much bite and can lock up the front tires on hot pavement. I will be changing the front pads to something with less bite. I don't have heat/fade issues.

What does all this mean? It means your build will take these parts and mine will take those. If your not overheating your rotors you just need a diffrent pad. I always recommend running high end rotors for strength and heat resistance. Some rotors are softer then others. A good pad will grind the crap out of a poor rotor. You see this by how much brake dust you create.

If you need to step up to a big brake kit make sure you need it. Its nice to order replacement pads/rotors for your vehicle but now your ultra custom and what manufacture of brake are you running now?

Notice I didn't mention your squeak complaint? That is a whole diffrent problem. Squeak comes from "this" pad type with "that" rotor type. Go to the pit area for track racing, all you hear is squeak. High temp pads will do that. Go buy some Posi Quiet pads. Stop tech makes them and their real good quality. If you need more bite, get the metallic, if your more mountain/hills the ceramic have better heat rating.
I have metallic on the front and need to go ceramic for less bite.

Brew161

Rank III

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Yee
Member #

Wow, thank you so much for the comprehensive and detailed insight. I have a standard sized tires 265/70/17 on M701 and with a constant weight of around 600lbs 800-850 loaded. I’m noticing (as i should) longer braking distance and squealing when going downhill, hence the thought to jump on bigger brakes. Vehicle is on a 3G tacoma.

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Toyota overkills their truck brakes. You just need to find a set of pads your happy with.

Reactions: Brew161

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Smritte pretty much has you covered there on all counts.
I'll just add that, in general applications, brake noise comes in 3 flavors: metal contacting rotor, rocks contacting rotor, and vibration.

-Rocks and debris are self explanatory.

-Metal contact can be backing plates(bent), clips and springs, pad wear indicators, or metallic compounds in the pad material. Semi metallic pads are just as they sound, they contain more metal (copper, nickel, etc) mixed into the friction material. In theory they are very small and suspended/dispersed evenly but I've seen much larger "chunks" start grooving rotors in some cases.

-Vibration is often misunderstood. Pads and hardware need to move over time so they are designed to fit "loosely" in the calipers. Referring back to smritte's comparison to sand paper and "grab", as the pad drags across the rotor it is forced against the caliper which holds it. The "grab" isn't constant and fluctuates rapidly causing the pads to also move rapidly. In turn, that tiny movement creates a high frequency vibration that becomes audible to our ears at specific speeds. Isn't physics fun?
Basically anything that influences the friction coefficient will affect the particular point in which you hear the noise. This includes different pad materials (circle back to semi metallics), rotor composition, temperature, surface corrosion, etc, etc, etc.
The moral? Using some high temp brake grease on pad contacts can eliminate a lot of noise regardless of choice of brake parts. Lol.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Gotta love the sound of sand in pads every time I play in the dunes. That stuff takes forever to wear out.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Hi folks! Does anybody in the norcal region know of a shop that installs aftermarket brakes? With the added weight of the vehicle, I can hear my OEM front brakes squeal specially going downhill in Sonora Pass. I'm specifically looking at PowerBrake

Where in Norcal are you? If you’re anywhere near the sacramento Area Stellar Built Fabrications does really great work! They sell and install power brakes..

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If I were you I would look into bedding in your brakes. It is a process. Doesn't cost you anything in parts. You just have to find a suitable road and make the time to do it.

Brew161

Rank III

Traveler III

California, USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Yee
Member #

Where in Norcal are you? If you’re anywhere near the sacramento Area Stellar Built Fabrications does really great work! They sell and install power brakes..
Sorry it took me a while. I'm in centra valley. Thanks for the referral. I got hold of them and they are a local dealer as well..

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

With all the extra skid plates and bumpers on our JKU, I went with Dnyatrek's Big brake system . It has really worked great and would highly recommend it.. for anything from the crazed driving around So-Cal to those big long down hills off-roading.....