Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Reactions: 472HemiGTX

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
I finally decided my camp setup for my Jeep Rubicon Recon will be an Outback Tailgate Table and a Jetboil Half Gen stove. I sleep in my Jeep with a DeepSleep mattress so I don't want to pack a lot of stuff. I bring an RTIC cooler with my dogs raw food and whatever I'm going to eat which will usually be two ingredient meals only like eggs and potatoes/oatmeal. Or fajitas, hamburgers, grilled cheese. Otherwise I will just survive off of sandwiches. Once I receive the tailgate table and Jetboil I will post a pic. I love all the cool setups, but for me and my dog and maybe one other person I can't justify the cost of some of these setups. I can't sacrifice the space. Oh and I hate to cook and clean up at home so I can't see doing elaborate meals on the trail.

Reactions: PapaDave

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Campkitchen_7190-900.jpg
One of several kitchen configurations I use. I like this one when I know I'm cooking a larger meal for more folks, as it gives me more galley counter space. I usually put the chuck box and stove up on the left end of the counter. This lowers it to a more comfortable, normal, height for cooking, too.

I love having my entire cooking setup contained in the one chuck box (includes stove and most often used dishes and sauté pans and lids), so I can take it in the van if going away from camp for the day, or use it on the trailer tailgate for a quick lunch stop when running the big road.

This setup is also great for when I want the entire counter (almost 8' long) for working on any number of projects or for laying out gear, etc when I'm set up as a photography bunker.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 132568
One of several kitchen configurations I use. I like this one when I know I'm cooking a larger meal for more folks, as it gives me more galley counter space. I usually put the chuck box and stove up on the left end of the counter. This lowers it to a more comfortable, normal, height for cooking, too.

I love having my entire cooking setup contained in the one chuck box (includes stove and most often used dishes and sauté pans and lids), so I can take it in the van if going away from camp for the day, or use it on the trailer tailgate for a quick lunch stop when running the big road.

This setup is also great for when I want the entire counter (almost 8' long) for working on any number of projects or for laying out gear, etc when I'm set up as a photography bunker.

I can see why you need a van and a trailer. It's your home ! Very nice.

Reactions: eagle_A40 and Road

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Here is the basic kitchen that my son Joey and I used for our Mojave Road trip. Really basic.. just that single burner, 2 coolers and a little cookware. We did eat well, though!
This year will be the year that I really tighten up the gear that I pack.

From what I have seen here, those Camp Chef Sherpa Tables look great for a minimalist camp kitchen. I like the idea of the soft side storage bins that are included.. I can't stand it when things rattle around! The roll-top folding tables, too (although, my great big table is way handy and fits nicely in the back of the 4Runner).

Thanks for all the inspiration, these posts are great.

20190316_182415.jpg

Oh, and I couldn't resist posting this photo from 2011.
The '59 Apache that I had and the start of a kitchen setup..
2011-06-03_16-43-22_703.jpg

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
I have been assembling a very modest setup for camping in my Jeep with my dog. So I currently use a DeepSleep air mattress for Jeeps along with their window screens. I have a small RTIC cooler, but wish I could run a fridge. I use my Outback Trailgater table to prep food to be cooked on my Jetboil Half Gen single burner. I have not used this whole setup yet, but it’s going to be my minimalist camping setup while in Moab in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here is the basic kitchen that my son Joey and I used for our Mojave Road trip. Really basic.. just that single burner, 2 coolers and a little cookware. We did eat well, though!
This year will be the year that I really tighten up the gear that I pack.

From what I have seen here, those Camp Chef Sherpa Tables look great for a minimalist camp kitchen. I like the idea of the soft side storage bins that are included.. I can't stand it when things rattle around! The roll-top folding tables, too (although, my great big table is way handy and fits nicely in the back of the 4Runner).

Thanks for all the inspiration, these posts are great.

View attachment 134262

Oh, and I couldn't resist posting this photo from 2011.
The '59 Apache that I had and the start of a kitchen setup..
View attachment 134263
I like simple but it's harder to do than some think. Simple means taking only things you KNOW you will need. It dosent account for the many things you COULD need that you THINK you will need. Confusing huh ? ( KISS ) :-)

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I like simple but it's harder to do than some think. Simple means taking only things you KNOW you will need. It dosent account for the many things you COULD need that you THINK you will need. Confusing huh ? ( KISS ) :-)
I'm a planner and very much a minimalist. At work, I'm an IT Engineer.. it's in my DNA to think of all the bits that will be needed for a task.
Making a salad one night? You are gonna want a bowl. No salads planned.. no bowl.
(you should really eat a salad, though.. green is important! ha!).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm a planner and very much a minimalist. At work, I'm an IT Engineer.. it's in my DNA to think of all the bits that will be needed for a task.
Making a salad one night? You are gonna want a bowl. No salads planned.. no bowl.
(you should really eat a salad, though.. green is important! ha!).
I just rely on logic, it works for me.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

The last couple of times out I've worked to refine my kitchen pack.

This is what I'm taking out on the next trip (this weekend).

Cutting board
Paper towels
Big spoon, spatula
Cloth napkins (for cleanup and anti rattle)
KleenKanteen pint cup with random beer koozies.
10" fry pan with lid
8" fry pan
Bowl
Small pot with lid
Salt, pepper grinder, olive oil
Spices: oregano, thyme, garlic salt & turbanado sugar
Assorted coffee & tea
Small camp tea pot
Knife
Wine and beer opener
Serving & mixing spoons
Tongs
Camp silverware roll (service for 4)
Knife my dad made
Half sponge and a little dish soap
Matches (I carry a couple other ways to make fire, too)
4 plates

My goal is to live completely out of the cooler for a couple of days.

Not pictured: Coleman Triton. Small propane bottles, Yeti Cooler for the cold stuff, Coleman cooler for the dry stuff. Lifetime folding table.

All this fits into 2 STERILITE 18 Quart tubs.

20200113_181432.jpg

20200113_181400.jpg

Last edited:

Raw Xpedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Vidor Texas
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Prisock
Member #

I don't have any pictures of the trailer set-up...but these are from our trip from Texas to the Grand Canyon....just a simple kitchen when we are camping out of the 4runner

Attachments

Last edited: