Poll: When you camp, do you normally have cell service?

• HTML tutorial

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
On the coast here one gets good signal because flat and relatively close to cities even in some spots that seem isolated. Out West I couldn't get a signal on the edge of Cody, WY., even with a booster. That was a little strange. Interstates and populated areas usually have a dependable signal...usually. Boosters surely help. Some are better than others I'm sure. I went middle of the road on that and I can tell it does boost if there is a signal to boost. Texting will load when you get a signal and that's been good enough for me. I have the Zoleo for real emergencies in the boonies but never had to use it. It's on standby presently until I go way out.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Rarely have service when I go where I want. I have a Zoleo for those situations just in case.

Currently doing my Masters degree though, so I've been camping in cell areas recently to do school work.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It depends a lot on where we are travelling in the world. You wouldn't believe it, while in Germany it is even possible near the highways that there is no mobile network at some spots - haha - there are many countries in the world where you wouldn't suspect that there is very good mobile coverage. There you are somewhere in the steppe, except for a few camels no one is around and far and wide no civilization to be seen and: You have a very good mobile phone connection.

Reactions: Ubiety

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I find I have it more and more. I don't much care one way or another. I do have a inreach to say in touch with my 90 year old father.

Reactions: Ubiety

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
It depends a lot on where we are travelling in the world. You wouldn't believe it, while in Germany it is even possible near the highways that there is no mobile network at some spots - haha - there are many countries in the world where you wouldn't suspect that there is very good mobile coverage. There you are somewhere in the steppe, except for a few camels no one is around and far and wide no civilization to be seen and: You have a very good mobile phone connection.
Exactly: in Botswana cell coverage disappears within a few km of any town, in Namibia coverage is far better - same general region but evidently a different focus on communications. The longest we've been out of cell coverage on recent trips has been in Australia - wide open spaces and small population - good coverage around the edges, not much in the "Red Centre". At home we have phones with the two major providers and find fairly good coverage in the west of the country, however once into anywhere in the east cell coverage is probably 1% of the area.