• HTML tutorial

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Got it! You got a big boost in points for being a member. That is 173 points. Your total points are 297. The first enthusiast level is awarded for 100 posts and 10 likes. I'll post more info on "requirements" soon! Rank II is very respectable! You gotta be some kind of nut like @stringtwelve or I to be rank III given the length of time the forums have been live! :)
trying my best to be a good forum member :smiley:

cant wait for the other achievements to roll out!

Reactions: Michael

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I think we are going to need an instruction manual or maybe night classes on this. So part of it is a forum thing (you'll have to excuse us as we are not big forum people) but the bulk of it is non-forum related? I would assume that has to do with the number of trips conducted or trip lengths. Does stuff we did before joining count, like traveling all around Europe several years ago? What about charity work, does that play into it. Do we get points for bear photos? Do we get points deducted if we get eaten by the bear (remember east coast Black Bears don't fall for the playing dead routine)? Yes, throwing in some humor here but I am interested in finding out more about this. (Sorry if you have already covered this somewhere else on the forum, I am new and still in 2wd mode here)

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I think I'm going to need a class on this! So confused, but I know once you guys get it all figured out it will be easy to understand!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Is the "member" badge not something we can ourselves select to display? I followed the instructions posted earlier about going to my member page and selecting badges, but I'm not seeing this option. I updated my profile with my member #. Thanks.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Is the "member" badge not something we can ourselves select to display? I followed the instructions posted earlier about going to my member page and selecting badges, but I'm not seeing this option. I updated my profile with my member #. Thanks.
Correct! The member badge needs to be confirmed by an admin and I just did! This year, it will become automatic. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Crew!

Reactions: ShawnR

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Ok, I just got awarded Advisor status. With only one major and several minor expeditions I certainly don't feel like I deserve that status. Yes, I am basically joking around with this but it did get me thinking. There was a comment made about a verified water crossing, is there going to be, or can there be, points for tasks? Think along the lines of the Boy Scout badge system. I would think, or at least I would wish for, a point or badge system that was separate from the forum system, it would appear above the present badge. It would be based on something like a Beginner, Intermediate, Expert system with different levels in each, like Beginner Camper, Beginner Explorer, Beginner Ambassador (you have done something that promotes the reputation of the hobby like community service or charity work or some kind of good deed).

Some examples. Your first overnight camping trip will get you Beginner status. Your first five night camping trip will get you Beginner Camper status. What about miles? What about 2 points per 1,000 asphalt miles and 10 points for every 1,000 dirt miles. Water crossings could have a difficulty rating for fording, bridged (established and self-constructed) or distance. To get nature involved, lets say 1 point for a bear photo, and 3 points for a waterfall? What about kind of a geocache game, pick a number of nature, cultural, or historic features, say Mount Michell in North Carolina or Half Dome in California, located all across North America and for every one you visit you get 20 points.

So if I visit Half-Dome I would get 2 points per asphalt miles (6 points for 3,000 miles), 1 point for ever night camped (8 points for 8 nights), I got pictures of 1 bear, 1 elk, and 1 whatever (3 points), got a picture of Angle Falls (3 points) and 20 points for Half-Dome. With the points from our Appalachian trip (say 25 for that one), I move from Beginner to Beginner Explorer

The way I look at it, just my opinion of course, the forum point system encourages people to talk but we want people to get out, explore, learn their craft, then come back and share it with the others on the forum and help others improve. So right now, my view anyways, I would have a forum Advisor badge but only a Beginner task badge. Yes, no, maybe?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Ok, I just got awarded Advisor status. With only one major and several minor expeditions I certainly don't feel like I deserve that status. Yes, I am basically joking around with this but it did get me thinking. There was a comment made about a verified water crossing, is there going to be, or can there be, points for tasks? Think along the lines of the Boy Scout badge system. I would think, or at least I would wish for, a point or badge system that was separate from the forum system, it would appear above the present badge. It would be based on something like a Beginner, Intermediate, Expert system with different levels in each, like Beginner Camper, Beginner Explorer, Beginner Ambassador (you have done something that promotes the reputation of the hobby like community service or charity work or some kind of good deed).

Some examples. Your first overnight camping trip will get you Beginner status. Your first five night camping trip will get you Beginner Camper status. What about miles? What about 2 points per 1,000 asphalt miles and 10 points for every 1,000 dirt miles. Water crossings could have a difficulty rating for fording, bridged (established and self-constructed) or distance. To get nature involved, lets say 1 point for a bear photo, and 3 points for a waterfall? What about kind of a geocache game, pick a number of nature, cultural, or historic features, say Mount Michell in North Carolina or Half Dome in California, located all across North America and for every one you visit you get 20 points.

So if I visit Half-Dome I would get 2 points per asphalt miles (6 points for 3,000 miles), 1 point for ever night camped (8 points for 8 nights), I got pictures of 1 bear, 1 elk, and 1 whatever (3 points), got a picture of Angle Falls (3 points) and 20 points for Half-Dome. With the points from our Appalachian trip (say 25 for that one), I move from Beginner to Beginner Explorer

The way I look at it, just my opinion of course, the forum point system encourages people to talk but we want people to get out, explore, learn their craft, then come back and share it with the others on the forum and help others improve. So right now, my view anyways, I would have a forum Advisor badge but only a Beginner task badge. Yes, no, maybe?
I'd say, absolutely! The Ambassador track is complete, and that is basically for forum related engagement, thought there are a few non-forum related requirements.

There are three other tracks:
  1. Adventurer
  2. Innovator
  3. Challenger
These are intended to be non forum related achievements. There is more information in the FAQ located here:
Forum Ranks and Point System

The one thing I have not done is define the requirements, which you have started to do above! I am very interested in your thoughts on:
  1. Track Titles (Tracks or Trophies)
  2. Trophy Requirements
To help encourage Overlanding and community contributions!

Thanks!

M

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I really like where you are going with this, some people are talkers and some are do’ers and your point systems looks like it is going to reward both. We all have different styles of Overlanding, some do short trips while some do long, and it would be nice if each get equal credit for their adventures.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have something that challenges people. The geocache thing is to push people to get out of their comfort zone. Having a number of locations around North America, say National Parks, that we get points for visiting gives people a target. Not everyone lives out west so it again levels the playing field. The major down side to this is we have a number of people who don’t exactly live on this side of the pond. Maybe we can have some locations in Europe and Africa. Maybe even have points for “Water Crossing – Ocean”.

I do have one question. How do you see the movement through the system if people are strong in one area but not in another? Say, I am not much on the forum but strong on the doing. What if I am conservative (non-political so don’t go there) and want to stick with stuff that works rather than being innovative? Do I skip over that trophy by having enough points or am I stuck forever at that trophy? What if I can’t get my wife to sleep in a tent and crap in the woods, will I be considered less of a man? Oh, the shame.

And what about . . .

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

You're doing the trip and seeing sights for your own benefit. If you share them with us, that's our benefit. Don't worry about the points; I don't think the prize is worth it.
The memories, however... totally worth it.:grinning:

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Looks like I was awarded Advisor III but skipped I and II? Am I just that awesome?:grin:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Add free is an amazing change from most of the other Forums I'm on. When I ran my sites, I eventually ended up selling out to "The Man" lol and couldn't be happier to walk away from that headache. :0)

It takes a lot of dedication, forethought and reinvesting (sometimes out of pocket) to build a Brand as fast and well as Michael has.

Great Job Overland Bound Family. I'm proud to be here with all of you.

Reactions: Lipek and Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Add free is an amazing change from most of the other Forums I'm on. When I ran my sites, I eventually ended up selling out to "The Man" lol and couldn't be happier to walk away from that headache. :0)

It takes a lot of dedication, forethought and reinvesting (sometimes out of pocket) to build a Brand as fast and well as Michael has.

Great Job Overland Bound Family. I'm proud to be here with all of you.
Thanks man! We very much appreciate your very early support in all this!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Looks like I was awarded Advisor III but skipped I and II? Am I just that awesome?:grin:
I updated the points system, and values Sunday. THe changes affected all users based on their activity, so many awards were granted. Also, it is possible earn some awards out of order. Requirements are listed here: Points System You can probably see why you have the awards.

M