Plano box kitchen and inventory

• HTML tutorial

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
With your wood working skills I would think you would make a Chuck Box. Just one sample, Not affiliated;
I've thought of it and have drawn up multiple plans, but to date I haven't come up with a design I like. The main problems are minimizing weight and figuring out how it would work with a table (or as a table). I have a folding aluminum kitchen table that is 15+ years and old works really well. With the tub setup I can keep all the table space available and quickly grab what I need out of the tub.

Drawers people. Drawers!
:) I have a drawer in the truck for storage, and I've designed and built a full integrated kitchen drawer setup in the past. A kitchen drawer doesn't work in my personal case for three main reasons:
1) I use the 4Runner for other things and don't want to always have the kitchen taking up space and adding weight.
2) I often sleep in the truck and don't want cooking smells getting in there.
3) I don't always camp directly next to the truck, and like to be able to carry my kitchen a distance away. This is especially important when staying in "real" campgrounds or in areas where you are only allowed to park 1 car length off the trail.

SgtVest

Rank I

Contributor III

Mishawaka, Indiana
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Vest
I wonder how durable the wood ones are. I saw one online that was made out of a converted tool chest. I think I’m going to try that route.
Baltic Birch is extremely durable and if properly finished will last as long as you want it to. People have been building boats with BB for over a century.

Reactions: Road

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you laminate Formica to the baltic birch it is extremely strong. It most likely outlast you.

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Nice work! I, too, use a pair of Plano cases with one holding the kitchen and the other holding camp. Drawers are nice but I prefer to be able to take everything out of the rig when setting camp or for daily driving. Weight savings are nice as well.

Your work inspired me to try something similar but much less attractive after having to dig at the bottoms of my boxes for cutlery, paracord, etc. on our last trip. I started with cardboard that I had lying around and may upgrade to wood.

Reactions: slomatt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Nice work! I, too, use a pair of Plano cases with one holding the kitchen and the other holding camp. Drawers are nice but I prefer to be able to take everything out of the rig when setting camp or for daily driving. Weight savings are nice as well.

Your work inspired me to try something similar but much less attractive after having to dig at the bottoms of my boxes for cutlery, paracord, etc. on our last trip. I started with cardboard that I had lying around and may upgrade to wood.
Coincidentally I started with cardboard as well. CAD - Cardboard aided design. :)

Reactions: rgallant

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Sorry.... my comment on drawers was about where to put things. Not where to install a kitchen.

I dont cook anywhere near my rig.

jmunk801

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pleasant Grove
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Munk
I have been wanting to upgrade my totes as well. Love the idea of building in the dividers and trays. Thanks for the tips!!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I used both Plano boxes on a camping trip last weekend and they worked great. In particular I really like being able to pull the tray out of the kitchen box, turn it 90 degrees, and rest it on the box while I get something out of the bottom. This keeps the tray off the ground and avoids getting dust into the box.

Joshua Buss

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

18245 40th Ave NE, Lake Forest Park, WA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Buss
Member #

I also use Plano storage box
It conveniently fits two of those ikea storage containers

I keep my kitchen in one side and dry food in the other as well as some other odds and ends.

Reactions: 9Mike2

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Here are some pictures of the (mostly current) contents of my kitchen box. After a few trips with this new setup I added a small pepper grinder and two stainless steel prep bowls which aren't pictured.

Cups, plates, bowls, hotpads, scrubber, coffee mug, cutting boards, towels, and dish tub. I've recently bought a collapsible dish tub to try out as well.

Stainless steel nesting pots/pans, non-stick pan (for eggs), wine glasses (for the wife), and skewers.

All the stuff from the top tray. Most items have yellow paint on them so they don't accidentally wander home with friends after a trip.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
One thing that would be nice to have is a strainer for the larger pot. When cooking pasta I currently have to just crack the lid open a bit and always loose some of the noodles. One option would be to just drill some holes in the lid, but I'm keeping an eye open for a more elegant solution. Perhaps a clip-on strainer.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks for the link. I'd like to keep my current stainless steel nesting pot, wonder if I can find a draining lid for it.
I've been looking at these stainless half-cover strainers, though have no hands-on experience with them yet. I like that they're flat and can be packed easily and may even slip inside one of the compartments of my kitchen box or under the lid with some of my sauté pans. Not sure how easy or not it would be to use with a smaller diameter pot.

strainer.png

There are a few others on that page, as well; some with a handle and curved 1/4 strainer that you hold up against the pot when straining that look handy.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
@Road , that's a great find! I like that they are flat and should pack easily, everything I've looked at so far has been too large. I'm going to do some measurements and see if anything fits my pots, and I have a trip planned for next month where we are making pasta so I'll be able to test it out.

Reactions: Road