Rank I

Enthusiast I

Big Springs/Fredonia, AZ
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Mix
Member #

What does everybody use for a phone mount? We use RAM mounts in our engine and I really like those- but they are $50-60.... can't justify spending that much on something that just holds a phone.

Reactions: Viking Justice

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I had Ram mounts and hated them, PIA to get a phone in place. I tried a weather tech cup holder mount, love it. My brother in law has put the in all his autos as my father was done the same.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Due to the lack of real estate in my rig, I have this Akron mount which is specific for my year and rig.

View attachment 168049
Bingo.....the picture you posted here, is the type (2003 Silverado) I have been looking for. It mounts where I want it to be, as the cup holder style is either to low, or the stalk cup holder type causes too much sway vibration. Looked on Amazon, and they do not show this model. Do you remember which model number your picture shows? I imagine the backing bracket could be modified to hold a HAM handheld radio (Baufong) similar to what a new Jeep has on the grab handle mount.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Bingo.....the picture you posted here, is the type (2003 Silverado) I have been looking for. It mounts where I want it to be, as the cup holder style is either to low, or the stalk cup holder type causes too much sway vibration. Looked on Amazon, and they do not show this model. Do you remember which model number your picture shows? I imagine the backing bracket could be modified to hold a HAM handheld radio (Baufong) similar to what a new Jeep has on the grab handle mount.
It's for my 02 Silverado.

Got the parts from here:

Arkon mount - Arkon adapter for mount - Indash mount to dashboard -
I haven't tried to mount my Ham radio to it. The mount I have for the iPhone might be too tall for my Boaufang or my Yaesu.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I usually don't use a phone mount, mu center console had a cut out for a phone, but when I do I have a tablet/phone cup holder.

That 3rd pictured bracket is the key, and of course...UNAVAILABLE........sniff, sniff,,,,sad:cry:
Just my luck!

• Sad

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For Jeep JK and JL/JT, I have used 67Designs dash mount with carbon arm. Phone mount was rock solid. I just bought a Bulletproof Mounting Solutions setup with dual balls for two arms. One for my phone, for for the GAIA tablet. I am working on a media rail that will mount across the dash with infinitely adjustable positions for anything you want to mount. Phone, tablet, CB mic, Go Pro, GPS, SPOD LED box, sat phone, etc. I want to be able to use both 67D and Bulletproof arms and clamps for greater diversity.

This is their phone and Go Pro mounts. I bought a longer arm and tablet clamp. Hope to install it later this week.

Bulletproof-Jeep-Wrangler-Phone-Mount-Metal-Series-JK-Dual-Mount_2000x.png

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We don't use phone mounts - we keep the phone in the central console when driving - don't use the phone much when driving (and never when driving alone) so no need to clog up the space. We already have the GPS and the GoPro set up and don't want to add more.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

We don't use phone mounts - we keep the phone in the central console when driving - don't use the phone much when driving (and never when driving alone) so no need to clog up the space. We already have the GPS and the GoPro set up and don't want to add more.
Farkel management is always a issue.

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
For Jeep JK and JL/JT, I have used 67Designs dash mount with carbon arm. Phone mount was rock solid. I just bought a Bulletproof Mounting Solutions setup with dual balls for two arms. One for my phone, for for the GAIA tablet. I am working on a media rail that will mount across the dash with infinitely adjustable positions for anything you want to mount. Phone, tablet, CB mic, Go Pro, GPS, SPOD LED box, sat phone, etc. I want to be able to use both 67D and Bulletproof arms and clamps for greater diversity.

This is their phone and Go Pro mounts. I bought a longer arm and tablet clamp. Hope to install it later this week.

View attachment 168150
I have had a 67Designs solution in my JK for a year and the only issue other than small wiggle in big bumps has been the rubber inside the phone clip had the adhesive fail this spring before it got hot.

Solid product.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I use ProClip for the phone, it has worked flawlessly for 20 years. I also use ProClip for my ipad mini.

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
I've been using the iottie phone mount in all my vehicles. Has a suction cup with gel so it'll suction down to the top of the dash of my 03 gmc 1500. It's pretty low profile, the phone is bigger. Pretty stable and it has a feature that you push it in and it clamps down on your phone and pinch on it to open it. I haven't had one come off the dash nor my phone fall out. Best of all its like $18. They have one with wireless charging built in but of course it's a lot more.

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

RAM. Have bought three of these now - one for me, two for gifts. While I agree that getting the phone situated can be a PITA - especially one handed - neither the phone nor the mount have ever shaken loose, no matter how rough the terrain. So I just take 10 seconds to put the phone in the cradle before driving, and it’s not an issue. I also appreciate that I can use the same hardware with an adapter and attach to my bike handlebars without having to buy a completely separate bike mount. When we eventually get around to replacing the head unit with a bluetooth Carplay / Android Auto touch screen, we will get rid of the mount altogether. Ram Mount Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder (not an affiliate link!)

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I've used the Ram X-Grip mount for years. In the rig and on the bike/ATV. While the phone has always stayed where I put it, I hated removing it from the X-Grip to take a picture. The process is pretty cumbersome.

I am now trying a Quad-Lock mount on the bike. It seems rock solid and is easy to remove from the mount. Getting the mount hooked back up is taking me some time to get used to, but with some more experience it should be quick. I will probably upgrade the rig's X-Grip to this configuration since it seems to be working great.
1598625891798.png
1598625910898.png

*As you can see, I am a fan of the RAM mounting system. I am just not crazy about the X-Grip phone mount.

Last edited:

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
2018 tacoma with the wireless charger in the dash

Presently setting the phone in the charger when daily driving, using a cup holder phone cradle I have had since I got my palm treo a decade or so ago when wheeliing, but not happy with that solution.

upgrade plans RAM Quick Grip XL mount I plan on getting a 3tpam, but until I do I will be double stick taping one of the disk type RAM balls to the passenger side of my console t hold the phone. I also recently found a possible thin wireless charger that I will attempt to adapt to the RAM mount (dremeling a space for it and mounting it in the RAM mount face plate) once I get my harley rebuilt, I will be getting the same RAM mount for the harley with a pair ubolt RAM ball on the handle bar to mount my phone on the left and a gopro on the right I will also be disabling the wireless charger in the dash as I plan on mounting the head unit for my ham radio there and do not want it causing interference.

The reason I chose this particular RAM mount is the 8 hooked fingers that hold your phone in place from all angles. From the reviews I have found on it, they have held the phone in place through rock buggy roll overs, and have been a popular choice for motorcycles due to their ability to hold phones in place in the wind. I figure if it can stand up to those two things, it should be able to handle almost anything I can throw at it.

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

I use a Quadlock phone case which comes with a variety of mounting options. I ordered a CB mic mount that attaches to the passenger side front grab handle, on the left side. I took one of the basic Quadlock mounts that had a sticky pad on the back and mounted that to the CB mic mount. There is a small hole in the center and I matched a small bolt to run through there and secured it with a washer/locknut. My phone pops right on and faces me and is about the same level as my stereo touch screen.