DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My thread about going from Rothrock to Bald Eagle. I got the connection made.

But, I noticed last night I can scout most of the 8 campsites on my way to Bald Eagle.

Trough Creek one #8 is in the opposite direction, but I have already been there...just didn't realize it til after I slowed down and thought about where I have been.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, started a planning thread for Moshannan State Forest aswell.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
What's up, everyone? I spoke with a DCNR officer today and I was asking him some questions about state parks and forests. He told me that all vehicle trails in state parks are only open one weekend a month which I had never heard before. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Reactions: riss800

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

What's up, everyone? I spoke with a DCNR officer today and I was asking him some questions about state parks and forests. He told me that all vehicle trails in state parks are only open one weekend a month which I had never heard before. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
I have not heard that specific rule about pa state park but I do know they are more strict than the state forrest. There is definitely a difference.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This is very interesting. Our local state park does not have vehicle trails. Our local state gamelands open 90% of roads including the no maintenance trails from September to February and they have a explore the gamelands self guided tour once a year.

The only vehicles that have access to the nearby parks are snowmobiles.

Very interested in knowing specifics about this. We attend many programs at our state park but have never heard about a one weekend a month trail opening.

State parks do not allow dispersed camping and our local Gallitzin State Forest doesn't allow it either.

I have learned some interesting things in the last year...so this is definitely something I would like to investigate more.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
This is very interesting. Our local state park does not have vehicle trails. Our local state gamelands open 90% of roads including the no maintenance trails from September to February and they have a explore the gamelands self guided tour once a year.

The only vehicles that have access to the nearby parks are snowmobiles.

Very interested in knowing specifics about this. We attend many programs at our state park but have never heard about a one weekend a month trail opening.

State parks do not allow dispersed camping and our local Gallitzin State Forest doesn't allow it either.
He could have been talking specifically about Swatara State Park as that is where I was talking with him. I just thought it was interesting because it isn't mentioned on their website.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The information is awesome @DBAR because that means they decided it was something they could do.

Just hope the people taking advantage of the privilege respect the chance they are given.

There is alot you can do in this great state, I wish I would have learned about the dispersed camping and motorized camping many years ago.

But we used to have so many places to enjoy a weekend trip, until the strip mines got reclaimed(a great thing) and sold off(an annoyance of private property signs).

So we used to have many opportunities to "overland". But am very glad to have learned that State Forest and some state parks are allowing this opportunity

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
We could always try to set up a trail cleanup sometime this year. We just need to show the state that we aren't the ones tearing up the trails.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Anyone make it outdoors with their vehicles lately?

Anyone take advantage of the mild weather and camp?

I am hoping to scout some campsites in Rothrock this weekend.

Wish the rain would turn to snow, or just go away.

RastaPasta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

Hey gang, new member here from the NJ side of the bridge! Looking forward to meeting up with you guys for a drink, trail, or to do some cleanup!

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Hey gang, new member here from the NJ side of the bridge! Looking forward to meeting up with you guys for a drink, trail, or to do some cleanup!
Hey, how's it going? I used to live in NJ albeit on the coast. Toms River was a nice area. Do you have any recommendations for trips to NJ?

RastaPasta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

Hey, how's it going? I used to live in NJ albeit on the coast. Toms River was a nice area. Do you have any recommendations for trips to NJ?
I'm fairly new, so I may not be the best person to ask. I've only been out into the pine barrens in the NJ area. Really looking forward to learning more on this forum, both in terms of overlanding and areas to go.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm fairly new, so I may not be the best person to ask. I've only been out into the pine barrens in the NJ area. Really looking forward to learning more on this forum, both in terms of overlanding and areas to go.
Well, I just looked at Gaia and saw that you've got Wharton State Forest and PennState Forest right in the middle of the state. There should be vehicle trails around there.

RastaPasta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Williamstown, NJ
First Name
Ross
Last Name
B
Member #

Yea I've been out to Wharton quite a few times. Just found out last week that Penn State forest is in NJ, oddly.

Reactions: DBAR

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

Check out this thread.

Hope to use it to centralize info and members