Overlanding with Physical Limitations

• HTML tutorial

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

As a right BKA, I have Left foot throttle petals that lock in the floor boards of both our Jeeps. I was asked about what got me going to go and do all the "Overlanding" , Because I can and there are way too many men and women , who can't because they gave their all to give that right to us, to Honor them I will use that right to best of my ability ... Thank You, all that Serve!

BennVB

Rank 0

Contributor I

North South Wales
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Vincent
That's great to hear about your wife. My wife has some similar problems, but her were not caused by a disease, but rather a fire. Several years ago our house burned down in the middle of the night. I awoke and got her up and told to go out while I tried to fight the fire in the kitchen. What I didn't know was that as soon as I left to go in the kitchen she laid back down and went to sleep (she was on ambien at the time). After I got literally blown out the back door as the kitchen exploded in flames (the temps reached over 2000 degrees and melted all our appliances as well as several 4' high candle sticks) I ran around the house to get to her to find that she was still inside. I had to kick the locked front door in to get back inside to find her (she had stood up and the smoke knocked her out onto the floor) and pull her out and gave her CPR. To make a long story short, she spent 4 and a half months in the Burn ICU unconscious with 3rd degree burns over 40% of her body. She suffered severe smoke and heat damage to her lungs and needed months of skin grafts from her legs onto her back and arms. She also suffered brain damage in the form of memory and cognizance deficits.

But now we have a new home and it is 7 years later. While still suffering from lingering brain deficits and limiting movement from the scarring of the burns, we are ready (and she is quite excited) to head out as soon as we can get the truck finished and the weather improves and the pandemic lessens. We hope to find others in our area who would also like to do some camping and overlanding, and look forward to hearing from others interested in the same. below are photos of my wife today, and the house after the fire.View attachment 164309View attachment 164308
What is this wreckage?

BennVB

Rank 0

Contributor I

North South Wales
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Vincent
Hello Dave,

First of all, I truly understand your position. As rheumatism and kidney patient I have less mobility and energy. But compared to you I can put mountains aside.
So, your case is definitly more challenging as mine ever was.

But I found a way to camp and do stuff in an easy way.
I have build a trailer in cooperation with a profesional company and that makes all the difference.
Getting out of the car and into the trailer can go as fast as I can write this.
I can manouvre there and the Trailer is as wide as the Jeep. So he will follow me everywhere.

I have learned to accept help from others. And what I cant do fysical I will do with my brains. It all works out fine.
And like I said, my situation is way better as yours, so, I just trying to imagine what challenges you have.

Anyway, here is my Trailer and Jeep, and maybe you can take it as a start to build your own solution.
For all other things, try to find a group that will stand by you and help you out of friendship and not out of pity.
All will work out fine. Go for it.

Greetings from Robert

View attachment 157028
So nice overlander. I like the colors.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Rogerrover

Rank IV
Launch Member

Benefactor

PNW Cloverdale Oregon
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Titus
Member #

hello, im roger. 57 disabled vet with PTSD, Chronic Pain and Depression as well as being diagnosed with MS and Diabetes all in the same year in 2006. It was hard at first as i was paralized at first but evenetually came out of it but took a few years to walk again. . now i venture around to help oher vets to get out when they and i can do as well. we tend to become hermits in out own four walled caves from our illnesses so nice to see everyone getting back out when you can.

roger

Reactions: 9Mike2 and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
hello, im roger. 57 disabled vet with PTSD, Chronic Pain and Depression as well as being diagnosed with MS and Diabetes all in the same year in 2006. It was hard at first as i was paralized at first but evenetually came out of it but took a few years to walk again. . now i venture around to help oher vets to get out when they and i can do as well. we tend to become hermits in out own four walled caves from our illnesses so nice to see everyone getting back out when you can.

roger
I know your struggle. #gotyour6!!! There is a vet only overland trip being planned out right now for Eastern Oregon. I forget who is putting it on, but when I find out more details I’ll be sure to post them.

Jack Losco

Rank I

Contributor III

Red Oak, NC, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Losco
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4KGT
Hello All,

I have just registered for Overland Bound in preparation for some future trips. I was injured in an automobile accident in 1987. I broke my neck and severed my spinal cord at the C5 - C6 level, leaving me wheelchair bound. As a school teacher, I have my summers off. Since 2007 my father and I have been traveling from North Carolina to Colorado for summer wheeling. My father, who is my primary care giver, has built us an accessible Class C motorhome. We basecamp in the RV and wheel the Jeeps. The deal is, we have to return to the RV each day. I have a plan to complete some overland adventures. I have come here to see if I can find the right group of people to help complete the experience.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Path killer I’m in a similar situation. At 59 in January ive had one neck surgery where they broke or cut each vertebrae and put a wedge in that was in 2001, I also had my last lumbar surgery that year the first was about 3-4 years earlier. After I got into the va system they implanted a lumbar stimulator which was great until the battery started to go 4 years ago they tried replacing the unit with a newer one but the leads had shifted so it wouldn’t program correctly and I’m a diabetic and my a1c was/is to high for the va to do almost any non life theatning procedures so I’m stuck. The endocrinologist thinks mt prutotary gland is the reason but tests have been wonky they say. My legs are numb from the knees dow so walking is a task without handholds. My hands are numb also.

‘’enough about that I’ve been camping since I was a teen. When I transfer to alaska in 97 I put a shell on my trucksnd slept in it for a few years until i got married when I switched to slide in campers. In 1990 we got a Tnt from the move to no we used it down the Allan. Across the northern central states from montana to Virginia then down to ge visiting relatives on both sides then across 20 to it ran into i10 to El Paso up 54 to Alamogordo. Then whenmy daughter was young my ex didn’t want to get out much. We seperatedin 97 and I started taking my daughter camping for her birthday which usually fell near enough to Memorial Day we started in a dome tent then got a big tent then borrowe a friends pop up one year rented a s Kramer one year. When I retire we got another small travel trailer then 03 got a larger on which was replaced with a. Fifth wheel I. 98. Whi now live in for ease of upkeep.in 2015 ipougt a Seneca super c that I use when I rave aay from home. One of the intial reason to buy the Jeep was the ability to flat tow it.

once I got it I started setting it up with a tow plate, winch, lights, recovery gear. I’m thinking of a teardrop camper for overlanding since being6’2” 325lbs I’m not going to try to climb an aluminum ladder to a roof top tent. I need power at night for my bipap so a tent might be out since it is almost a chore to get up from the ground.I use a can on hard uurvices like from the vehicle to the door of a building. I uses walker forunevenor longer walks. I’m trying to get a new power chair I have had scooters in the past but it broke after the company went out of business but the va who issued it refused to replace it because the paperwork was done correctly by the worthless local primary care doctor here in town. He doesn’t care about his patients so a couple years ago I switched to the Medicare/tricare side which has done great things but I lost the paperwork for the chair and haven’t found it yet.

im looking for other wheelers to travel with in my area plus planning on hitting some rallies next year.

that’s more than enough for now. So hello all

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi all. I share a lot of the problems you folks have (COPD, Arthritis, and neurological problems) but I am determined to overcome them and do some off raod camping and overlanding. To that effect I am building a vehicle to handle all my needs and give this old soldier (nearly 70 ex-army) a way to get out of the confinement of a house. I have been looking for others to travel with who might like a somewhat less strenuous journey (assuming we can ever find a place to go with this pandemic hysteria going on). Anyone up for some "old timer" action?
I accidentally came across this thread in the OB forums this morning while reading my OB mail. I am inspired by finding people here who are working to solve whatever handicap they may have. Please excuse my lengthy post, it seems a bit necessary when telling a story.

I'm 85 years old currently and for the past five years have realized my abilities are diminishing to the point I am now. It started with a major car wreck that broke a couple of ribs that punctured my left lung. It also separated my collar bone from my shoulder bone which has limited my upper body strength and movement somewhat. I already had a bad back (crushed lumbar vertebra) and old neck vertebra injury from many years of previous body injuries from other careless actions. All this in addition to being diabetic and needing special meds and equipment.

I started my overland build project two years ago, 20 years later than I should have. It's been a long haul project as my abilities have steadily diminished. My problem has been that my brain dosent know that it's attached to an old worn out over weight body that cant do what my brain wants it to do.

I have all the painful walking and standing problems many of you describe and endure. I can hobble around by using a cane for short distances. I have a severely arthritic left knee that needs replacement. At my age I dont have six months to spare for that type surgical procedure or a desire to undergo the surgery that may not fix the problem but will put some big money in the doctors bank account.

Then in May of this year I went into the local ER with stomach problems I couldnt handle. The pain was awful and a cat scan revealed a hard ball size tumor blockage in my colon. (Stage two cancer) Doctors said I wouldn't live another 24 hours without surgery. I told them "just do it," I had nothing to lose.. I prayed for GOD's forgiveness and went into surgery. I spent 5 days in intensive care and another 6 days in the hospital under quarantine due to Coronavirus precautions. Then I spent another 21 days in a rehab facility (still in quarantine). I now wear a colon bag that I will live with reluctantly and necessarily. It presents a whole different set of problems for me to figure out (at least I dont have to worry about a potty any more) as I move on to finalize my plans for a successful adventure, and hopefully join my OB friends along the way as I will be solo otherwise.

I'm not quite ready to hit the trail yet as I have to depend on others to do the work on my rig in preparation of my journey in it. It has been difficult finding a good mechanic during the c-19 thing. It's near impossible to find a handyman type to come to my house to do any sort of work. They were not hungry enough to work when the gov was dishing out $600 a week for them to stay home. I finally was able to find a great guy that can do anything and loves off roading and working on rigs as much as I do. At $40 an hour it slows things down a bit due to very limited cash flow but I'm getting there slowly.

I hope that somehow, somewhere I will get to meet all of you on the trail. We can laugh and talk about our ailments and maybe learn from each other the ways of coping with our fixable handicaps ! My motto.. "anything is better than nutten". Happy Trails guys !!

Lanlubber Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hi all. I share a lot of the problems you folks have (COPD, Arthritis, and neurological problems) but I am determined to overcome them and do some off raod camping and overlanding. To that effect I am building a vehicle to handle all my needs and give this old soldier (nearly 70 ex-army) a way to get out of the confinement of a house. I have been looking for others to travel with who might like a somewhat less strenuous journey (assuming we can ever find a place to go with this pandemic hysteria going on). Anyone up for some "old timer" action?
Hi Leonard, I'm seeing a good bit of Arizona activity in the forums. Maybe you can join in with them on the planning . I'm close enough to you'ens to try to be a part of it all. I'm also going to make a trip up into the Pacific NW for the PNW expo in the spring (hopefully). There are a lot of good guys from OB up in the NW that I am anxious to trip with and do a lot of fishing. Maybe we could make the trip together if your up to it. PM me if your interested in planning something.
Lanlubber Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's great to hear about your wife. My wife has some similar problems, but her were not caused by a disease, but rather a fire. Several years ago our house burned down in the middle of the night. I awoke and got her up and told to go out while I tried to fight the fire in the kitchen. What I didn't know was that as soon as I left to go in the kitchen she laid back down and went to sleep (she was on ambien at the time). After I got literally blown out the back door as the kitchen exploded in flames (the temps reached over 2000 degrees and melted all our appliances as well as several 4' high candle sticks) I ran around the house to get to her to find that she was still inside. I had to kick the locked front door in to get back inside to find her (she had stood up and the smoke knocked her out onto the floor) and pull her out and gave her CPR. To make a long story short, she spent 4 and a half months in the Burn ICU unconscious with 3rd degree burns over 40% of her body. She suffered severe smoke and heat damage to her lungs and needed months of skin grafts from her legs onto her back and arms. She also suffered brain damage in the form of memory and cognizance deficits.

But now we have a new home and it is 7 years later. While still suffering from lingering brain deficits and limiting movement from the scarring of the burns, we are ready (and she is quite excited) to head out as soon as we can get the truck finished and the weather improves and the pandemic lessens. We hope to find others in our area who would also like to do some camping and overlanding, and look forward to hearing from others interested in the same. below are photos of my wife today, and the house after the fire.View attachment 164309View attachment 164308
Terrible story with a good ending. Just shows what strengths we have, almost supernatural !
It's good you have each other for support.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Congratulations on the willingness to struggle, many people would just lie down and wait.

I've never seen a better argument than your case for a full size 4x4 van equipped with a lift. I don't know what your financial resources are, but I personally be focused on getting into a vehicle that will better accommodate your disability, while still maintaining a reasonable level of mobile access to the back country. I'm a Jeep guy and I fully understand the attraction, but it seems you would be better served with a van. Living the Van Life and Primal Outdoors on the YouTube both manage some decent remote access with vans. Resale on Rubicon models is crazy good, maybe you can afford both, that's not my business.

That said, I would make redundant communications devices, planning and reporting locations to a third party tantamount to all other concerns. Something as simple as a windstorm that downs some trees could leave you in a tenuous situation and communications would be critical.

I would also invest in a good drone, so when you get to the limits of what you can safely do, you can "go a little further" without tempting fate.

Good luck!

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Jim i forgot to ment one thing in my post that you brought to mind when I read your post I have a catheter and bag short periods I can cap it off and go without the bag but longer periods reqire the bag. I think I’m paying twice your labor rate and have to drop the rig off and they are particu about what they will and will not do. So far the stuff that I actually needed assistance with they would do. Living in rural small towns suck for so many reasons but it still better than dealing with a big city. If you get over this way let me know.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jim i forgot to ment one thing in my post that you brought to mind when I read your post I have a catheter and bag short periods I can cap it off and go without the bag but longer periods reqire the bag. I think I’m paying twice your labor rate and have to drop the rig off and they are particu about what they will and will not do. So far the stuff that I actually needed assistance with they would do. Living in rural small towns suck for so many reasons but it still better than dealing with a big city. If you get over this way let me know.
Indeed I will Mike. I dont mind driving the pavement solo to get to interesting areas, but once I get there I would want to find a local OB guy to partner up with. Please PM me and give me a contact number so I can call when I head out your way. As many times (hundreds) as I have been your way I never get tired of coming back to places like Cloudcroft and other communities in your neck of the woods.

I am so lucky to have found my new mechanic. He is a true mechanic with varied skills including welding. He is building a shop that will have a lift (already purchased) to make things easier to get done. I have used the same handy man for the past 20 years up until a year ago when he injured his back. When he can work, he charges me $18 / hr. He was able to install my front and rear bumper for me. My new mechanic installed my sliders and removed my rear passenger seats for $200. If I have major work to do I use a guy who has a great shop and only charges $60 / hr. He will come to my house if I need him.

I dont know much about catheters or about servicing them, but I know any of this type of medical care requires a healthy sanitation requirement to deal with. At home we can all manage easily but out in the boonies it can be a challenge and time consumer. Personally I need help for some things that are physical. Not so much that I cant lift things but because I cant carry and walk any distance with a cane in one hand and a 40# tent in the other. I think I can get er done but I'll have to take more time and figure a way to do it without help. Currently I just plan to sleep in the rig to make camping possible. :-)

Reactions: 9Mike2

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Hello All,

I have just registered for Overland Bound in preparation for some future trips. I was injured in an automobile accident in 1987. I broke my neck and severed my spinal cord at the C5 - C6 level, leaving me wheelchair bound. As a school teacher, I have my summers off. Since 2007 my father and I have been traveling from North Carolina to Colorado for summer wheeling. My father, who is my primary care giver, has built us an accessible Class C motorhome. We basecamp in the RV and wheel the Jeeps. The deal is, we have to return to the RV each day. I have a plan to complete some overland adventures. I have come here to see if I can find the right group of people to help complete the experience.
Jack, I have a super c Motorhome that I plan to use for rallies and trips where we can return to the base camp every evening. I got a quote for a tear drop off road trailer for over landing but it will be next year for I can get it ordered. Then Im ok west of Alabama and north for triple towing which would allow me to take the Motorhome to the trailhead area use the Jeep for the over landing parts if it’s over a day away. Then use the Jeep and trailer for the over landing part ‘then return to the Motorhome after the trip. If the ob trip is over 200 miles long that might put me to far from the Motorhome then I would have to think about it.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Enthusiast I

Prescott, AZ USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Bolander
Service Branch
US Army
Hi, I'm a relatively new member and I just now discovered this section of the forum. I'm very inspired from reading all of the above stories from those of you who share disabilities and physical limitations in general. And here I thought I might be the only one.

I'm a VA 100%'er with Parkinson's Disease, peripheral neuropathy and heart disease. And a spell of COVID about two years ago left me with some lingering shortness of breath problems. My primary issues are that of overall balance and walking limitations, especially on uneven terrain of any sort. But, I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my love of off-roading altogether along with my nicely-built FJ Cruiser. So I've been doing my best to tailor my trails to my physical limitations.

Again, knowing that I'm not alone with my physical limitations gives me encouragement to carry on. Not to mention picking up any tips from you guys on the best ways to negotiate the rigors of the outback on foot.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi, I'm a relatively new member and I just now discovered this section of the forum. I'm very inspired from reading all of the above stories from those of you who share disabilities and physical limitations in general. And here I thought I might be the only one.

I'm a VA 100%'er with Parkinson's Disease, peripheral neuropathy and heart disease. And a spell of COVID about two years ago left me with some lingering shortness of breath problems. My primary issues are that of overall balance and walking limitations, especially on uneven terrain of any sort. But, I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my love of off-roading altogether along with my nicely-built FJ Cruiser. So I've been doing my best to tailor my trails to my physical limitations.

Again, knowing that I'm not alone with my physical limitations gives me encouragement to carry on. Not to mention picking up any tips from you guys on the best ways to negotiate the rigors of the outback on foot.
Hello Steve glad you are a part of the OB community. Thank you for posting this and your openess about what you are dealing with. It's encouraging to have you be so determined to continue to get out and enjoy overlanding even with your limitations. I too have neropathy in my feet an legs albeit it isn't too bad yet. I understand the unsteadiness on uneven terrain but it isn't too bad for me at this point. Keep getting out there.

Enthusiast I

Prescott, AZ USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Bolander
Service Branch
US Army
Hello Steve glad you are a part of the OB community. Thank you for posting this and your openess about what you are dealing with. It's encouraging to have you be so determined to continue to get out and enjoy overlanding even with your limitations. I too have neropathy in my feet an legs albeit it isn't too bad yet. I understand the unsteadiness on uneven terrain but it isn't too bad for me at this point. Keep getting out there.
Hey Big G, thank you so much for your encouragement and I do hope your neuropathy will be slow in its intensifying. Every couple years or so I make a trek up north to see some good friends in Grants Pass. The next time I'm there I'll make a point of touching base with you.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army

Steve,

Thanks for sharing!

I'm a 100% VAer as well (although likely much younger!)
I broke my back and have chronic neuropathy, I had to give up Moto camping as I found anything longer than an hour in the saddle caused numbness down the left side that kept me from changing gears.

Some things that have helped me:
1. Go your own pace. Nobody else is feeling your pain so go the speed that helps manage it
2. Let your rig carry your burdens! I used to sleep on rocks, now roof top tent and an exped mattress give me as good as sleep as I get home. Definitely an upgrade from what would fit in a ruck
3. For Hiking, walking sticks can be a game changer. I was taught as a kid to see them as a weakness, but hiking with a pair of sticks can help reduce stress from hiking and give you much more useful distances that you thought weren't possible anymore. Also, if you haven't heard of it, look into the hiking lock step. You will have to change the way you walk a bit but it can a help a ton with fatigue and pain, especially when facing elevation changes.

Bonus: For my neuropathy I've found a cheap amazon usb rechargeable tens unit can work wonders helping with pain after a full day of movement.

Cheers!