Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Hello all. My name is Dave and I guess I’m new to overlanding. Unless, car camping is considered “vintage” overlanding, then I’m a pro. I was a surfer, hiker, backpacker, car camper, and even a tent-trailer rv’er. I say “was” because I’ve been dealing with a Motor Neuron Disease over the past 10 years, or so. Specifically, I have PLS (Primary Lateral Sclerosis) which is basically the non-fatal version of ALS. One can say my quality of life has diminished and I’m always searching for a spark of inspiration to motivate me beyond sitting on the couch. Recently I purchased a brand new Jeep Rubicon. I have wanted a Jeep since I was in my 20s but life always turned me in the opposite direction every time I thought I might get one. I’m now 55 years old, retired and sporting a neurological disease; of course I bought a Jeep! Before and after my acquisition I was researching the internet looking at all the different mods. And it was during this searching that I found out about overlanding. I came across Trail Recon, Lifestyle Overland , The Epic Family Roadtrip, and, of course, Overland Bound. Watching all the beautiful locations and the beautifully built rigs which make it possible to get to those locations sparked and rekindled my love for the outdoors and wide open spaces. But, I was soon to find out that my motivation to pack up my new Jeep and return to the wilderness was soon to be slapped back by reality. The reality being: I can‘t stand up on my own for more than a 10 seconds without falling down, I can barely walk even with a walker, I can’t lift more than 10 lbs without paying for it later with painfully stiff muscles. The only way I get around with any agility is sitting in an electric wheelchair. It sounds ominous looking back over this but I’m trying to look past the roadblocks, to find detours that will allow me to Overland. The small steps I’ve taken so far have been taking a few wheeling day trips with friends to get use to my rig. I’ve also modified a walker with large wheels and skis to make it easier to shuffle around dirt and uneven terrain. I’m going to experiment with a suggestion I learned from E3 Overland about testing out different sleeping scenarios to find one which will allow me to sleep comfortably. (Rooftop tent is out of the question. Can’t climb up the ladder).
Anyway, I apologize for the saga of my life but I wanted to introduce myself and to see if there are any overlanders out there with similar physical disabilities who “found a way” and could offer some suggestions and encouragement. Thanks. Dave

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I don't have the same challenges as you do. But, I have fairly significant pain, mobility and physical weakness problems. I can only stand for a few minutes and can't walk more than a 100 yards (oo very flat/level ground) and I have to use some type of support to do that. Walking or even standing on inclines is all but impossible. I can take a few steps as long as I have some support. Keeping my balance to stand or walk in mud and snow is nearly impossible too. (So, I try to stay home & inside all winter!)

I try to never go anywhere alone! (I do mean anywhere!)
When it comes to overlanding and exploring I limit myself to easy and moderate trails so the likelyhood of needing my recovery gear is diminished. The few times I have been out and tested the limits of my vehicle has been with a Jeep Club so when I did need a recovery, I was able to stay inside my vehicle and have my club members do the dirty work.

I'm almost 60yr old now and one day I may have to stay at home. But, in the meantime, I'll try to be creative and careful when I do venture out down the trail.

RckFink

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Thanks for the response, Pathkiller. I feel very fortunate that I have a lot of support from my family and friends. They make it possible for me to leave the house with any confidence. My wife is doing her best to support me in my quest to become an overlander. I know it’s hard for her to watch me struggle and it makes her wince when I attempt things that will most likely cause me pain, but she and my kids are always there to help when I need it. I understand what you mean about never going anywhere alone. As I get back into this I have to fight the desire to do things on my own. I use to enjoy the solitude of the outdoors. I would often surf, hike and backpack by myself and ever since I became so reliant on others I never realized how much I missed self-reliance. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy spending time in the outdoors surrounded by family and friends but it was a reassuring feeling knowing I could always set out on my own with confidence in my abilities.

Tim, I’m glad to hear that you are still trying to find ways to get out there even though it may cause pain and weakness. I have thought about joining a Jeep club but have questioned what my contribution would be other than just showing up. Maybe I should though. Again, thanks for your reply and although I‘m sorry for your physical limitations I’m also glad to have a shared struggle to be involved in something we love. Stay safe out there.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello all. My name is Dave and I guess I’m new to overlanding. Unless, car camping is considered “vintage” overlanding, then I’m a pro. I was a surfer, hiker, backpacker, car camper, and even a tent-trailer rv’er. I say “was” because I’ve been dealing with a Motor Neuron Disease over the past 10 years, or so. Specifically, I have PLS (Primary Lateral Sclerosis) which is basically the non-fatal version of ALS. One can say my quality of life has diminished and I’m always searching for a spark of inspiration to motivate me beyond sitting on the couch. Recently I purchased a brand new Jeep Rubicon. I have wanted a Jeep since I was in my 20s but life always turned me in the opposite direction every time I thought I might get one. I’m now 55 years old, retired and sporting a neurological disease; of course I bought a Jeep! Before and after my acquisition I was researching the internet looking at all the different mods. And it was during this searching that I found out about overlanding. I came across Trail Recon, Lifestyle Overland , The Epic Family Roadtrip, and, of course, Overland Bound. Watching all the beautiful locations and the beautifully built rigs which make it possible to get to those locations sparked and rekindled my love for the outdoors and wide open spaces. But, I was soon to find out that my motivation to pack up my new Jeep and return to the wilderness was soon to be slapped back by reality. The reality being: I can‘t stand up on my own for more than a 10 seconds without falling down, I can barely walk even with a walker, I can’t lift more than 10 lbs without paying for it later with painfully stiff muscles. The only way I get around with any agility is sitting in an electric wheelchair. It sounds ominous looking back over this but I’m trying to look past the roadblocks, to find detours that will allow me to Overland. The small steps I’ve taken so far have been taking a few wheeling day trips with friends to get use to my rig. I’ve also modified a walker with large wheels and skis to make it easier to shuffle around dirt and uneven terrain. I’m going to experiment with a suggestion I learned from E3 Overland about testing out different sleeping scenarios to find one which will allow me to sleep comfortably. (Rooftop tent is out of the question. Can’t climb up the ladder).
Anyway, I apologize for the saga of my life but I wanted to introduce myself and to see if there are any overlanders out there with similar physical disabilities who “found a way” and could offer some suggestions and encouragement. Thanks. Dave
Hello David, welcome to the OB community. You have no need to apologize for sharing your story and I believe I can speak for this community that we are glad you are a part of us. It's obvious you have some challenges but it is also obvious you are determined to find a way and I believe you will. I hope that some OBers in your area will see this, or possibly your Regional Members Rep, and they will be willing to help however than can. Again, thanks for sharing who you are with us and maybe someday I'll see you on a trail somewhere.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@RckFink i can’t Evan imagine what you go though but I think it’s inspiring to see you Or anyone else; not let life break their spirits.

I would suggest a Jeep club. From my experience, Jeepers are a different breed of people. They will definitely have your back out on and off the trail. Also being new to overlanding, I am also finding the same support from the OB community. Maybe they all drive Jeeps.... haha ... no in all seriousness, the OB community is top notch her and always here to help.

I recently saw a video of a man and his wife going across Africa in theirJeep. He is in a very similar situation as well. I suggest trying to search YouTube for some videos to inspire your further down your trail.

If I find it will definitely post it on here for you!

RckFink

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Thanks, Jose. I definitely have felt the brotherhood and sisterhood of fellow Jeepers. They always seem eager to help. From what I hear Overlanders are of the same breed. I look forward to getting out there and meeting some on the trail.

I think I heard of that man who trekked through Africa. I don’t know if I’d have the stones to do that but he’s definitely inspirational.

Take it easy. -Dave

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Dave,

First of all, I truly understand your position. As rheumatism and kidney patient I have less mobility and energy. But compared to you I can put mountains aside.
So, your case is definitly more challenging as mine ever was.

But I found a way to camp and do stuff in an easy way.
I have build a trailer in cooperation with a profesional company and that makes all the difference.
Getting out of the car and into the trailer can go as fast as I can write this.
I can manouvre there and the Trailer is as wide as the Jeep. So he will follow me everywhere.

I have learned to accept help from others. And what I cant do fysical I will do with my brains. It all works out fine.
And like I said, my situation is way better as yours, so, I just trying to imagine what challenges you have.

Anyway, here is my Trailer and Jeep, and maybe you can take it as a start to build your own solution.
For all other things, try to find a group that will stand by you and help you out of friendship and not out of pity.
All will work out fine. Go for it.

Greetings from Robert

1591228005081.png

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Well I have been an amputee (left leg below the knee) for 32 yrs. It has gotten harder as I have gotten older (50 now) and my trails have gotten easier just because it is much more of a deal to get stuck or have breakage.
I am currently in a 4wd Transit van with a poptop as that gives me the best comfort and I am plenty happy with the offroad performance.
Just take your time, think things through and go out with others.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Well I have been an amputee (left leg below the knee) for 32 yrs. It has gotten harder as I have gotten older (50 now) and my trails have gotten easier just because it is much more of a deal to get stuck or have breakage.
I
Good seeing you again Lance.

Like Lance I'm an amputee but it's my right leg and above the knee, it's only been 13 years since I had it cut off. Being an amp
does cut down on being able to do some things but I can usually just find a way to suck it up and do it.

RckFink

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Hello Dave,

First of all, I truly understand your position. As rheumatism and kidney patient I have less mobility and energy. But compared to you I can put mountains aside.
So, your case is definitly more challenging as mine ever was.

But I found a way to camp and do stuff in an easy way.
I have build a trailer in cooperation with a profesional company and that makes all the difference.
Getting out of the car and into the trailer can go as fast as I can write this.
I can manouvre there and the Trailer is as wide as the Jeep. So he will follow me everywhere.

I have learned to accept help from others. And what I cant do fysical I will do with my brains. It all works out fine.
And like I said, my situation is way better as yours, so, I just trying to imagine what challenges you have.

Anyway, here is my Trailer and Jeep, and maybe you can take it as a start to build your own solution.
For all other things, try to find a group that will stand by you and help you out of friendship and not out of pity.
All will work out fine. Go for it.

Greetings from Robert

View attachment 157028
Thanks for the inspiration, Robert. Wow, your rig is awesome. A customized trailer would be great. I think I’d have as much fun designing it as using it! - Dave

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Dave, anytime, if you need help, a good talk, or just somebody who tries to understand the way your life is, just write me and I will be there. Not in the Flesh as I live in the Netherlands, but I hope I can be of help by internet and such.
Keep smiling and there is always a problem that can be solved, hehehe.

Greetings from Robert

RckFink

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Hello and welcome to Overland Bound, I too know how much it sucks live with pain after being in 2 car accidents in the past, but I try and focus on the positive things in life instead. :)
Thanks for the welcome, Joey. I completely agree with your philosophy. I have found focusing on the “here and now” has kept me going. Fortunately, for me, the here and now has me surrounded by family and friends. I can still stand and move around, though not for very long . - Dave

RckFink

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Alaniz
Member #

Dave, anytime, if you need help, a good talk, or just somebody who tries to understand the way your life is, just write me and I will be there. Not in the Flesh as I live in the Netherlands, but I hope I can be of help by internet and such.
Keep smiling and there is always a problem that can be solved, hehehe.

Greetings from Robert
Thank you, Robert. I really appreciate it. I feel very overwhelmed by the amount of acknowledgement I have received from the OB community. Sincerely, Dave

lenf2

Rank II

Contributor II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Leonard
Last Name
Foster
Hi all. I share a lot of the problems you folks have (COPD, Arthritis, and neurological problems) but I am determined to overcome them and do some off raod camping and overlanding. To that effect I am building a vehicle to handle all my needs and give this old soldier (nearly 70 ex-army) a way to get out of the confinement of a house. I have been looking for others to travel with who might like a somewhat less strenuous journey (assuming we can ever find a place to go with this pandemic hysteria going on). Anyone up for some "old timer" action?

Attachments

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
It's awesome to see people refusing to throw in the towel, truly inspires me. My wife has a rare genetic disorder that caused a brain hemorrhage when she was 6mo old, resulting in brain damage and permanent loss of right side motor skills. But it's never held her back, she even refuses a handicap parking tag, she doesn't see herself as disabled. The pictures are of the left food throttle and such I had installed in our truck for her, but the same day I saw this off road tracked wheel chair too, crazy stuff!

The story continues though, the genetic disorder was undiagnosed until she got pregnant, when a ton of crazy symptoms showed their ugly head, the diagnosis explained what happened to her when she was a baby which until this point was just determined to be a fluke so to speak. Long story short, my son has the same disease, and had a far more severe hemorrhage at 3mo old and tried to leave us several times. But he made it through! And nearly a year later, we're camping with him too now.

Attachments

lenf2

Rank II

Contributor II

Arizona, USA
First Name
Leonard
Last Name
Foster
It's awesome to see people refusing to throw in the towel, truly inspires me. My wife has a rare genetic disorder that caused a brain hemorrhage when she was 6mo old, resulting in brain damage and permanent loss of right side motor skills. But it's never held her back, she even refuses a handicap parking tag, she doesn't see herself as disabled. The pictures are of the left food throttle and such I had installed in our truck for her, but the same day I saw this off road tracked wheel chair too, crazy stuff!

The story continues though, the genetic disorder was undiagnosed until she got pregnant, when a ton of crazy symptoms showed their ugly head, the diagnosis explained what happened to her when she was a baby which until this point was just determined to be a fluke so to speak. Long story short, my son has the same disease, and had a far more severe hemorrhage at 3mo old and tried to leave us several times. But he made it through! And nearly a year later, we're camping with him too now.
That's great to hear about your wife. My wife has some similar problems, but her were not caused by a disease, but rather a fire. Several years ago our house burned down in the middle of the night. I awoke and got her up and told to go out while I tried to fight the fire in the kitchen. What I didn't know was that as soon as I left to go in the kitchen she laid back down and went to sleep (she was on ambien at the time). After I got literally blown out the back door as the kitchen exploded in flames (the temps reached over 2000 degrees and melted all our appliances as well as several 4' high candle sticks) I ran around the house to get to her to find that she was still inside. I had to kick the locked front door in to get back inside to find her (she had stood up and the smoke knocked her out onto the floor) and pull her out and gave her CPR. To make a long story short, she spent 4 and a half months in the Burn ICU unconscious with 3rd degree burns over 40% of her body. She suffered severe smoke and heat damage to her lungs and needed months of skin grafts from her legs onto her back and arms. She also suffered brain damage in the form of memory and cognizance deficits.

But now we have a new home and it is 7 years later. While still suffering from lingering brain deficits and limiting movement from the scarring of the burns, we are ready (and she is quite excited) to head out as soon as we can get the truck finished and the weather improves and the pandemic lessens. We hope to find others in our area who would also like to do some camping and overlanding, and look forward to hearing from others interested in the same. below are photos of my wife today, and the house after the fire.2018-02-10 Steampunk room (4).jpg2014-01-27 Fire (4).jpg

Last edited:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Well my 2 cents, Even if it is painful to walk and maybe not get to some places on foot...Beats sitting at home. I watch others get to places I can climb or its to far for me to walk but I spent a month in New Mexico and had a blast. I have some Dr. appts this next week and if all goes well I heading out again my plan is to make to Glacier National Park before the end of the season.