Overlanding with cast iron skillet

• HTML tutorial

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

My favorite spatula for everything but fish (or non-stick!) is a stainless wok spatula. They are cheap, you can take the cap off the end of the handle of most of them (look for a wood cap instead of a tacked on stainless one). That lest you add a stick if you need a super long spatula and lets the handle drain out. You can change the shape of the end if you want it flat instead of slightly curved easily with a grinder or even a piece of sandpaper. When you find a solidly built one (admittedly, it's hit or miss), it will last forever. I have one I got in 1983 that is still going strong. I've killed others over time, but that one is still about like the day I bought it at an Asian grocery store for probably $5 or so. Based on prices on Amazon, they have doubled in price, but are still a bargain, IMO.

Why am I posting this here? It works great for both cooking and cleaning cast iron frying pans (or aluminum/stainless/etc. - anything without a coating)

If you are an amazon customer, search for "wok spatula stainless steel" and look for the ones with a tubular handle and a wood cap on the end.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Ours lives in a canvas bag made from a big coffee sack (cut down and sewn. A good wipe with a towel while it's hot or a little H2O and little scrub then after the heat has dried it and a nice thin coat of oil. So love my Cast Iron.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have a cast-iron griddle, brought back from the dead, a frying pan, and the indispensable Dutch oven. I found nylon covers for all of them at farm stores IFA/CAL-RANCH, as they usually have more than the minimum inventory. The covers/carry sacks also allow you to store the mitts/scrappers/ and utensils with them.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding