John
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNA234
Service Branch
USCG
Hello all, I was referred to this thread as I am starting out as a fulltimer. Although it looks like this thread is not very active at the moment. I haven't decided on how I'm going to set up outfit, whether a roof top tent, trailer, etc. As of right now its just a ground tent and my grand cherokee. But I'm not thrilled of being in a ground tent in bear and wolf country! So looking for some ideas of what works and what doesn't. I plan on spending most of my time in the northwest like Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Washington, and Wyoming. I am leaving Indiana after the holiday and heading to Kalispell, MT via I-90. Any suggestions on overnight stays along my route would be very appreciated! I'm finding out that the hardest part of full timing is the route planning! Seems it gets easier out west since there are plenty of trails, parks, blm, etc. But getting there from the Midwest there are not many options except for campgrounds-at least that I can find.
Congratulations looking forward to seeing you out there. We start tomorrow.

Here is our set up if you have any questions hit me up!!!

Also give us a follow on IG @ironhorseoverland
Very nice! Wish I could find a trailer! Everyplace I’ve looked it’s almost a year wait for one. I gave up and just going to use a roof top tent for now and hope during my travels I run into some sort of rig. I’m heading to South Dakota on Monday to explore the Badlands and surrounding areas then eventually make my way to Montana. If you want some camp company, hit me up! It’s just me and my dog and would love to meet new folks that are sharing the same passion and freedom. Plus I want to see your trailer! Lol

U

UgotWheelz

Very nice! Wish I could find a trailer! Everyplace I’ve looked it’s almost a year wait for one. I gave up and just going to use a roof top tent for now and hope during my travels I run into some sort of rig. I’m heading to South Dakota on Monday to explore the Badlands and surrounding areas then eventually make my way to Montana. If you want some camp company, hit me up! It’s just me and my dog and would love to meet new folks that are sharing the same passion and freedom. Plus I want to see your trailer! Lol
I have found several affordable vintage molded fiberglass trailers on CraigsList. These are all light weight and many have bathrooms as well if that is a consideration for you. All you need to do is swap out the old school axle for a Timbren with a lift and build out the inside to suit your needs.

Ovrlandtrekerusa

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Hello all, I was referred to this thread as I am starting out as a fulltimer. Although it looks like this thread is not very active at the moment. I haven't decided on how I'm going to set up outfit, whether a roof top tent, trailer, etc. As of right now its just a ground tent and my grand cherokee. But I'm not thrilled of being in a ground tent in bear and wolf country! So looking for some ideas of what works and what doesn't. I plan on spending most of my time in the northwest like Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Washington, and Wyoming. I am leaving Indiana after the holiday and heading to Kalispell, MT via I-90. Any suggestions on overnight stays along my route would be very appreciated! I'm finding out that the hardest part of full timing is the route planning! Seems it gets easier out west since there are plenty of trails, parks, blm, etc. But getting there from the Midwest there are not many options except for campgrounds-at least that I can find.
Congratulations looking forward to seeing you out there. We start tomorrow.

Here is our set up if you have any questions hit me up!!!

Also give us a follow on IG @ironhorseoverland
There are lots of options when it comes to overland trailers. Trailers are the best way to go when it comes to overland for many reasons. # 1- when you set up camp you do not have to break it down to go on day trips from your overland bound base camp. # 2- if it’s raining when you get to your destination there’s no setting up a tent/ rooftop or other in the rain. You just jump out of your tow vehicle open the door to your trailer and jump in bed. #3- bad guys and Bears can’t get in onto you with one slash of a knife/claws. By the time they get into your overland trailer you are ready for them(surprise mf). #4- With the correct hitch coupler your trailer can follow you over difficult terrain. #5- extra storage space to lighten up your 4x4 rig for those fun day trips away from your overland bound base camp. #6- Your 4x4 vehicle will not be top heavy because of a 100+ pound roof top tent.
I love my OGT TRAILER it’s amazing and tons of fun.

Reactions: Kelly and jeepdog33

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Starting our Fulltime Overland life with a band! Start our new life doing the Continental Divide.

Attachments

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Is Overlanding fulltime, still "Overlanding", or are you now just living in a van down by the river? :-)
P.S. I'm now full timing it :-) View attachment 179066
Hey Kelly,

Good for you. I leave this Sat to drive from FL to Lindon, UT to pick up my 2021 HQ 19 and start full timing myself. I plan to play in UT for a few months then down to AZ maybe. I have camped in tents, vans, hammocks, and RTT. I am a bit banged up and want comfort and AC. My days of blazing through the jungles with a manchette are long behind me. When I get out there, lets communicate and maybe meet up. Are you going to the ROAMER rally in UT in Sept? (RVs of America event)

Reactions: Kelly

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Is Overlanding fulltime, still "Overlanding", or are you now just living in a van down by the river? :-)
Hey Kelly,

Good for you. I leave this Sat to drive from FL to Lindon, UT to pick up my 2021 HQ 19 and start full timing myself. I plan to play in UT for a few months then down to AZ maybe. I have camped in tents, vans, hammocks, and RTT. I am a bit banged up and want comfort and AC. My days of blazing through the jungles with a manchette are long behind me. When I get out there, lets communicate and maybe meet up. Are you going to the ROAMER rally in UT in Sept? (RVs of America event)
The HQ19 is wonderful. I just pucked mine up last friday and plan to full time in it. I still have about a year before this happens, but I plan on staing in it for longer durations as the tiem gets closer.

Reactions: Kelly and Bubba Tim

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Hey Kelly,

The HQ19 is wonderful. I just pucked mine up last friday and plan to full time in it. I still have about a year before this happens, but I plan on staing in it for longer durations as the tiem gets closer.
Where did you buy it?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hey Kelly,

Where did you buy it?
I got it from Happy Camper RVs in Garden City Idaho.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Hey Kelly,

Where did you buy it?
I got it from Happy Camper RVs in Garden City Idaho.
Great, holler at me when you start. Bubba@bubbatim.com

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Kelly,
I look forward to reading more from you about full timing. I am due to retire in February and the plan is to begin overlanding full time at the beginning of April. After 150+ nights in the rooftop tent over the years and moving through a couple different vehicle platforms I am finalizing my vehicle choice now. Any suggestions would be appreciated based on what you have found. And I think I will be completely happy living and overlanding in a van down by the river...
Howdy,

How did the build go and what was your “final” platform? Hopefully you are on the road and enjoying Full-time life. Have any in-sites/stories?

jeepdog33

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Kat
Last Name
Burns
Member #

I’m currently planning a long term (1-2+ years) overland for a Photo Project and giving serious thought to staying in that status afterwards.
Had it been 3 years ago, I probably would have gone the route of RTT. However, since my spinal injury, taking the off-road square drop rig route is the only choice… and the one that would allow me to remain full time.

It looks like a March 2022 start, so hoping that crazy boy has Starlink ready for travel use by then, to avoid the massive amounts of routers, cards, cell plans, etc otherwise needed for internet on the road.

Am checking the pluses/minuses of the different rigs out there. Definitely looking into a few of the ones made here in Colorado though. (Will be getting a newer JKU at the same time.)

Reactions: Firemom and NØMAD

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

For full-timing, I decided to go to truck and trailer route. I like being able to set up base camp, and not have to break camp down to go anywhere. My preference is to stay in each location for a couple weeks.
The trailer is a big advantage in that respect. It also helps to save your spot while you explore.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

The best thing I can say is after 5 months of planning and a vehicle change is to watch allot of backpacking, bikepacking, and military survival videos so that you can be Light & Fast only carry what you need as space is highly limited and make sure you have the right vehicle for your situation.
After backpacking, a bare bones van with minimal gear is like living at a five-star hotel.