Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
G19 with Fed HST 124grn

Old Winchester Model 1200 that's been cut down to 18.5 inches with a tube extension. Nothing fancy here. Tube full of buckshot, sidesadle velcro "shotgun card" with 5 slugs. Then 2 more cards in my personal bag one with buckshot, one with slugs.

Sometimes I'll bring some burner ammo with me if I think I might want to plink a little bit. Not so much this time of year as it's hunting season and I don't want to screw up anyone's hunt. If I do I usually bring either my 604ish clone or XM177ish clone along with me unless I'm going a place those aren't allowed.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Generally if we think we’re going to need a firearm for animal protection or in general I bring my Beretta 1301 12 gauge shotgun.

It will protect us from anything in North America and don’t have to worry about convoluted state or Federal laws.

Just on transportation laws

Hope this helps.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
A factory 14 in barrel 870 clone 12 Gauge, only 5 shells but it is small and tucks in behind the seat just fine. I carry everything from bear slugs to small game loads.

It is largely a piece of survival equipment, always in rarely used.

Reactions: BAJA - PRO

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A factory 14 in barrel 870 clone 12 Gauge, only 5 shells but it is small and tucks in behind the seat just fine. I carry everything from bear slugs to small game loads.

It is largely a piece of survival equipment, always in rarely used.
How do you deal with crossing state lines with a SBS? Or is one of those birdhead/pistol grip "firearms".

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Downs Ah in Canada 1 set of rules for the whole country - they suck but they are the same everywhere. Down to 12-inch factory supplied barrels on pump action 12 gauges are not considered any different than a 18 or 21 inch barreled shotgun for use. Our firearms regulations are pretty bizarre to figure out but we win on that one, pretty much only that one but there you are.

I replaced the rear stock with a magpul as well as the slide furniture, and the factory ghost ring sights are solid.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I never realized how many fellow nautical enthusiasts we had here, and crazy how terrible we all are at it. I too lost all of mine in a boating accident. Now, if I *were* to make a recommendation for carrying when Overlanding (or any camping) it'd be the same suggestion I make when it comes to carrying at all, with a few caveats: carry the firearm you are most comfortable and effective with, which should also be the firearm you have the most rounds through. Also, and this is one people often overlook... carry with the same ammo you practice with. Or I guess, I should say that the other way around: always practice with your actual carry ammo choice for your carry firearms. Too many people practice with cheap range ammo, then carry some fancy round that promises a cannonball sized wound channel. If you've shot with both the range ammo and the carry ammo enough to know you *and* the firearm react exactly the same to either ammo, I suppose it's fine to save the $. However, if you just assume you and the firearm will perform the same with completely different ammo you might run into issues. Case-in-point, I didn't follow my own advice and got my ex some special defense ammo aimed at smaller females for her G19. We had it in the bedroom safe for a few months with only that ammo before I decided to take it with me on a range trip. To my surprise, the G19 wouldn't reliably cycle with that ammo. I'm very fortunate we didn't find out "the hard way."

Don't get caught up in the caliber/ammo debates. I used to do it myself. At the end of the day the most effective round is the one you'll put on target. If you are competent across lots of platforms and calibers you're probably not asking "what should I carry" on an Overlanding forum.

Also, the *only* caveat I'd really make to my general advice above that is more camping/hiking/Overlanding-specific would be some areas (say, Grizzly country) dictate more than a basic handgun in something like 9mm. Of course, you should still make sure you have plenty of practice with the firearm you pick for those areas, just like you would your regular carry piece.

And finally, speaking of bears, do you know the most effective caliber for bear defense?

.22 so you can pop your buddy in the knee! Okay, do NOT actually do that, it's a joke people. I thought this thread needed some levity.

-TJ

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Also, the *only* caveat I'd really make to my general advice above that is more camping/hiking/Overlanding-specific would be some areas (say, Grizzly country) dictate more than a basic handgun in something like 9mm.
Someone gathered a bunch of data on this one time. Basically it came down to having something that goes bang is usually enough. In 123 reported cases of a handgun being discharged to ward off or kill a bear, a handgun was effective 98 percent of the time (eithe the bear was killed or it stopped doing what it was doing and moved off) with only 3 known "failures" of making the bear stop what it was doing. .44 mag by far had the highest number of reports with all being stopped or deterred, but 9mm was reported in 7 different cases and all were successfully killed or stopped.

Personally, given the option, I'd take a 12ga with some 1oz slugs :tearsofjoy:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Downs got the basics, very loud noises will generally move a nuisance or curious bluff charge bear off, that is why bear bangers work well. However an aggressive - territorial, predatory or Mom in defense mode bear is a whole other problem it is estimated that a grizzly or black bear from a standing start will cover 100 meters in 8 to 9 seconds they can accelerate to between 30 and 35 mph in that distance and can maintain 20 to 25 mph for upwards of 30 to 60 minutes. So you need to get targeted effective rounds on that bear, in call it 9 seconds with my 12 gauge shoulder, I get 2 - 3 if am lucky but the muzzle would touching the bear for the 3rd shot. Several books recommend aiming for the shoulders to break the bone and functionally stop the bear, if you look at the profile of a charging bear you really don't have a lot good targets. Center of maas with large rounds is best 12 gauge bear slugs, or big bore carbines.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Interesting topic, recent studies find that firearms are around 80% effective at stopping bear attacks and bear spray 99% effective. Mainly due to the quickness the spray can be accessed and deployed effectively.

Reactions: rgallant

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@genocache The other aspect to bear spray is most bear charges are bluff's, so bear bangers, bear spray, and rubber shot work incredibly well. It is the aggressive "I am going to put you down" attacks where bear spray fails, and usually to fair at close range. A lot of the articles are about close range encounters sub 50M, that to me at least to me is way too close. Although to be fair I shoo'd a small black bear off my deck the other day, by banging on the glass door and then yelling "get out of here" with a broom in hand, so my advice might be a bit suspect :tearsofjoy: he huffed a bit but left.

• Haha
Reactions: Downs and genocache