Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have been looking at those pop up gazebos for that safe space for him and family. Or a tent with a screened in area. I figure with gazebo if I go to RTT in future, it will still have use.
I always take a 10x10 popup awning with me (with bug screen walls). While we have never been forced to use it as a bug free zone it makes a great place for a kitchen or place to escape the weather. Yeah a rack mounted super awning with walls would be nice but that is a want and not a need. I got one of the Gazelle "four man" tents from the OB store for the family, great tent, easy setup/teardown and a great safe zone for the boy. Not compact when packed however; neither is the awning.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I always take a 10x10 popup awning with me (with bug screen walls). While we have never been forced to use it as a bug free zone it makes a great place for a kitchen or place to escape the weather. Yeah a rack mounted super awning with walls would be nice but that is a want and not a need. I got one of the Gazelle "four man" tents from the OB store for the family, great tent, easy setup/teardown and a great safe zone for the boy. Not compact when packed however; neither is the awning.
I am looking at needs and build up to wants later on as things evolve and how rest of family takes to overlanding. My son is my sidekick so I know I have a +1 always lol.

I have been looking at Gazelle T4+ for the 4 of us and using the screened area for the wife to get out of sun and for a safe zone for my son and hopefully his service dog one day.

Realistically how is the back T4 section for a family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 kids ?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
how is the back T4 section for a family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 kids
"back T4 section" ???

We have had three in it and four would be a squeeze (for us). Joel and I are both at least 6 ft tall and mom sleeps on a big air mattress. Four with small kids would be doable, but not with adult sized kids. My only "complaint" is its size stowed - but I knew that going in, otherwise love the quality, features, tall roof and it is super easy/quick to deploy. I don't normally sleep in a tent and this was bought to help the family but I really like it. Pretty cavernous and not paper thin - I would buy it again. Have never used it in the rain. The blow up solar usb light on the OB store makes a great companion to the tent ;)

This OB video was instrumental in making the decision; it did not hurt that it was filmed a stone's throw from where my wife grew up.

Let me know if you have other questions, been wanting to pull it out of the attic and deploy on the lawn once the forecast gets better.

Reactions: M Rose

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

@Greg Eigsti I had not seen that particular video yet. I have been looking for a video or pictures of “4” people set up in so that I could see the room. That video however is very informative.

They have a T4+ which is basically the T4 plus a screened room which isfrom what I can tell the same size of the usual T4. The non screen roomed part is what I was referring too when I said back section.

I am looking at the T4 plus and the Core 9 Person Instant with the Gazelle T6 Gazebo.

An all in one would be better which is what I like about the GaZelle T4+.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks! I'll have to go take another look at the Gazelles, wonder if mine can be "upgraded"?

Edit - the T4+ looks awesome, the "inner sanctum" could be very handy.

Last edited:

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Thanks! I'll have to go take another look at the Gazelles, wonder if mine can be "upgraded"?

Edit - the T4+ looks awesome, the "inner sanctum" could be very handy.
I saw a video in which I noticed the screens in the screen area where covered up but I can’t find actual information on how the screen room converts into second sleeping area with privacy.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I saw a video in which I noticed the screens in the screen area where covered up but I can’t find actual information on how the screen room converts into second sleeping area with privacy.
I'm wondering if they could help out if you contacted them directly and told them what you were looking for and why? They might have some ideas/possibilities that you would never see on the web site. Just wondering since they sell replacement parts for everything and may have mix and match suggestions?

I saw a really cool hunting camp where they had a nice big canvas tent that opened up under a popup awning with walls/screens. Nice big protected family entrance area with kitchen and additional privacy beyond in the tent. I have though about butting my Gazelle up to the edge of the awning to try it out. You can also get nice 10x20 popup awnings that sleep 6 cots easily or you can split it down the middle for different rooms.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I actually have a different thread asking about ground tents and have gotten so great suggestions as well on there.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m going to jump in on the GT conversation... I’m looking at purchasing the Gazelle T4+ here in the nearly short future. I’ll have a good review done by the beginning of June.

Reactions: Jrodrigues1278

Prstone50

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Stone
I think it’s great to see all these positive posts! Children and or people with autism have lives that are worth living with lots of adventures! It just takes patience, flexibility, care and love and some more patience thrown in, to find the boundaries, positives and negatives to make things work.

CTDRC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Metzger
I'm still working on a bug solution for Sterling. I've used sprays, bracelets, a tent, and a bunch of stuff. Everything works ok, but mileage varies based on the bugs in your area. One thing, bring red lights for night. He's not afraid of the dark anymore, but when he was, it was screaming about the dark, then the light goes on then screaming about bugs. Red light doesn't attract as many bugs. I have the cheap LED strips on my house battery setup, works perfectly.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I found this Video to be very informative in some of the products for your clothes but also for your skin.

I have been thinking of the red or amber lighting as well With an additional elevated “white light” set up away from the main area of camp to attract bugs to it.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I’m going to jump in on the GT conversation... I’m looking at purchasing the Gazelle T4+ here in the nearly short future. I’ll have a good review done by the beginning of June.
That would be great. The most in depth one I found so far was in Russian which I don’t speak, but the video did show some flaps in the screened area which I can only hope they roll out to provide privacy since the tent is marketed as a 4-8 person.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I found another thread on her regarding the Gazelle tents, figured I would share.

• Love

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have Colin an Outdoor Research hat that has bug repellant built into the fabric. It also has a flap that comes down over the neck and ears area that keeps most of the flys away from that area. Works really well for us. Not sure if its going to fit him anymore. Might have to buy a new adult version. The little bugger is getting quite big! On another note, we are getting him a new travelling companion this summer to. A Labrador Retriever. Hes been everything from S&*^Tbaked to enamoured by dogs so we figure the time is right to get him a lab puppy and it will grow and go on adventures as part of the the Austim Family Travels Family!

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

We have Colin an Outdoor Research hat that has bug repellant built into the fabric. It also has a flap that comes down over the neck and ears area that keeps most of the flys away from that area. Works really well for us. Not sure if its going to fit him anymore. Might have to buy a new adult version. The little bugger is getting quite big! On another note, we are getting him a new travelling companion this summer to. A Labrador Retriever. Hes been everything from S&*^Tbaked to enamoured by dogs so we figure the time is right to get him a lab puppy and it will grow and go on adventures as part of the the Austim Family Travels Family!
If only Ayden, my son, would wear a hat... bit it will be worth a try. Thanks for the information.

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

Go to youtube. Sev good vids on the Gazelle T4 plus. Great tent for the family, we have talked about getting one for the extra room option.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Go to youtube. Sev good vids on the Gazelle T4 plus. Great tent for the family, we have talked about getting one for the extra room option.
I have on YouTube but I haven’t found one that throughly explains or shows the front screen area get converted. But I keep looking. Thanks