Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My son is 8 and has Autism. Im on Instagram @adventuringinautism.

He loves the outdoors and honestly its one of the only ways I can get him off electronics. It has been hard for me to go with groups because he does get very loud and is very hyper pretty much all day long. He also has no filter and says exactly what he thinks. He also suffers from really bad anxiety so anything outside his routine he pretty much shuts down.
This is where the outreach I mentioned above comes in. Helps others understand what is happening, it’s who he is, and okay, let’s have fun.

with both boys we knew, many of the group members were curious about autism, and did what they could to help makes things go well for everyone.

Reactions: Ubiety

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

He loves the outdoors and honestly its one of the only ways I can get him off electronics. It has been hard for me to go with groups because he does get very loud and is very hyper pretty much all day long. He also has no filter and says exactly what he thinks. He also suffers from really bad anxiety so anything outside his routine he pretty much shuts down.
Your son sounds like mine, only he is nonverbal. Super loud when excited and thrown off when he is off his routine. I am going to follow on IG from @Jrodrigues1278 and @savagecoffeetea

once I get my rig started we should do an Autism friendly trip somewhere in the middle of everyone. Reality is I will be driving to west coast as I appear to be the only one on the East lol.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Greg Eigsti that’s awesome that Joel is back on track.

up until the Coronavirus, Ayden is receiving 1:1 and group speech and OT in school and then 1:1 speech and OT after school. He is I am ABA class right now with an amazing teacher and aide. We also get ABA therapy at home 6 days a week. He loves his TEAM and they have been great for him.

This distant learning, not so much.
My alerts seem to be broken; apologies for not seeing responses.

Been there and done all of that, so worth it! All I can say right now is that it will be worth it and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. May not be the light that you had been expecting but it will encourage and warm your heart.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well unfortunatly it looks like Greg is the only one close to me in Oregon. Ive got salmon and steelhead running past my place during the season and pkenty of room to camp out. You guys are always welcome just pm me and we can set it up. Enjoy those little men they are sure special in many ways
You are only 5 or 6 hours away, wink wink, nudge nudge.

After all of this time with my son I swear that I am on the spectrum as well :) I just understand what is happening inside of him in a weird way.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Totally get that. I wonder if an autism overlanding group would be appropriate, something we might start? Something where other adults could offer support to each other, the kids could play with each other and understanding would be everywhere.
Routine is very important! When doing adventures we work hard to set Joel's expectations and provide some semblance of routine.
Electronics? Same struggle...
Anxiety? Yep.

Keep taking him out! He will learn and grow and so will you.

Great thread, thank you all!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Occasionally an autism thread or message pops up on OB and it is always a huge encouragement to me. I reached out to a member rep to see if those touched by autism, or are interested, could somehow make a permanent home or group on OB. Forum threads/posts fade so quickly - I think it would be good to have something to return to, you know a community within a community ;)

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Occasionally an autism thread or message pops up on OB and it is always a huge encouragement to me. I reached out to a member rep to see if those touched by autism, or are interested, could somehow make a permanent home or group on OB. Forum threads/posts fade so quickly - I think it would be good to have something to return to, you know a community within a community ;)
I am new to OB, new to Autism, new to overlanding, so I think it is a great idea...

lohsoieosig

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York, NY, USA
First Name
myt
Last Name
logo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your son sounds like a boy that became in scouts with my son. His dad attempted to show him to as an awful lot as possible. We did numerous camp outs together. He did very well. You should to buy best antenna for him.

CTDRC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Metzger
Thanks all for sharing. Group meets have been a worry for me as well because of the same stuff. I think a board and meetups would be great. I'm in Texas, and barring a break down or two, am willing to drive over some land.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks all for sharing. Group meets have been a worry for me as well because of the same stuff. I think a board and meetups would be great. I'm in Texas, and barring a break down or two, am willing to drive over some land.
One of my overlanding buddies is in Southlake (DFW) and he makes the drive up to OR/NV/MT several times a year. Will make sure to look you up if I am ever down that way.

I'll let all y'all know more about a group when I do - sounds like the ability to make one is coming.

Gorgeous day in Seattle area; professor doggy and I were just out sunning ourselves and contemplating our navels ;)

Reactions: CTDRC

CTDRC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Metzger
Well unfortunatly it looks like Greg is the only one close to me in Oregon. Ive got salmon and steelhead running past my place during the season and pkenty of room to camp out. You guys are always welcome just pm me and we can set it up. Enjoy those little men they are sure special in many ways
Would adore to take you up on this!

Reactions: Raul B and Ubiety

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

So happy to see that I am not alone and have the same concerns. my simple question has turned into more then I could have imagined! Thanks everyone!

I am in NJ outside NYC but will drive once I get my truck. I have driven 125k miles in last 3 years for work, so I will drive anywhere!

Thanks again everyone.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Just became official OB member today, I just wanted to say that Thank You to everyone that posted in this thread, your kindness and understanding made me really want to be apart of all this.

Thanks again!

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

Its good to see everyone talk about their kids.
Somedays you might seem alone but there are more parents in our shoes than ever. Lots of support groups etc etc out there but most of us "guys" don't go for that style of support. This looks like a good thread for an update, check in or intro to keep in touch

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

So what do you guys do to help your kids with the bugs? Mosquitos, ticks, etc. Besides of course the obvious, like check them.

My son 5 and is non verbal. It’s been on my mind lately and wanted to see what you guys have tried that works, doesn’t work, and some tips.

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

So what do you guys do to help your kids with the bugs? Mosquitos, ticks, etc. Besides of course the obvious, like check them.

My son 5 and is non verbal. It’s been on my mind lately and wanted to see what you guys have tried that works, doesn’t work, and some tips.
Does he understand well enough for you to try to explain you need him to show you any bugs on him? Without making him phobic(like moms do).

• Haha

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Does he understand well enough for you to try to explain you need him to show you any bugs on him? Without making him phobic(like moms do).
No he does not, it’s why I am concerned about it. He won’t wear a hat either unless it cold as hell.

I have read of some stuff I can spray on his clothes, some stuff for any exposed skin. Wondering what other options are available.

Side note: I have way to much time on my hands during this quarantine period lol

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Luckily ticks are not as bad of an issue where we are, but we get our share of mosquitoes and bees. We make sure to bring along bug spray and citronella candles in an attempt to show that we have the upper hand, and a tent where Joel can find bug free safety. Other than a few freak outs with bees we have been very lucky in this department.

Reactions: M Rose