• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jeff Graham

That is about what I figured. Grew up that way, but these days I don't know of many folks who still do the swap each Fall and Spring.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

That is just infuriating. Who steals a shackle... really. On that note I am going to take mine off... sigh.
That sucks, I tighten mine up with my leatherman tool so they're always where I need them, and not inconvenient to use but someone can't walk off too easily with them unless they bring a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: britz

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
Well i guess i am going the opposite direction of everyone and having my rig pig out for right now. Winch / Bumper / Sliders. At least its not at the top of the vehicle i guess. There isnt much weight i can take off the rig. But there i will keep the weight in mind as i progress

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
That sucks, I tighten mine up with my leatherman tool so they're always where I need them, and not inconvenient to use but someone can't walk off too easily with them unless they bring a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
All of mine were tightened down with channel locks as we were in 140 miles of roots, rocks and washboards that would loosen anything not bolted or welded down, checked every stop. Ironically, I was parked right next to a running Hamilton Police cruiser. Pretty ballsy move, they could have got the hand tools much easier, but were less hidden.
We don't see civilization much, but my BF or myself will remain at the rig for resupply stops from now on.

But back on topic, I lifted my BF's pack into the rig and it had to weigh over 40lbs, which is usually what our old packs weighed loaded out with food and some water for a 4day trek. His pack alone weighs 6-7 lbs, as much as our tent, and he shoved all kinds of crap (he was thinking the car camping thing) he never used, so he's retuning his gear and opting for a lighter pack. So far he's pulled 15lbs redundant and/or useless gear. That damned pack almost crushed one of my dogs.

I went through our chuckbox and shaved 8lbs. One of the biggest weight savers was ditching the dish washing accoutrements and going with a yellow lab prewash, then using Clorox scrubbing wipes to finish, which also make great firestarters.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Since my child is grown, and all my travels are with my better half. I have little need for the back seat in my Dedicated Overlanding Jeep JK. In my never ending desire to reduce weight, I finally found the time to remove the back seat from my vehicle.
IMG_0655.JPG
It's a clean canvas. I still need to memove the seat belts, but I think this space would be perfect for carrying water for my next desert adventure.
IMG_0659.JPG
If my measurements are correct, I can carry two Front runner floorboard water tanks. That's would give me over 20gal of potable water storage, over the 5gal bumper tank.
image.jpg
That's more then a weeks water needs, with no Resupply.

The Backseat weight was 85lbs. One Front Runner floorboard tank full, will weigh about 82lbs. So a wash. I get rid of dead weight, and replace it with essential water. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Next job, fab a way to easily secure the tanks for travel. Don't like heave flying objects in my vehicle if I'm in an accident. Will try and repurpose the seat bolts.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Since my child is grown, and all my travels are with my better half. I have little need for the back seat in my Dedicated Overlanding Jeep JK. In my never ending desire to reduce weight, I finally found the time to remove the back seat from my vehicle.
View attachment 30326
It's a clean canvas. I still need to memove the seat belts, but I think this space would be perfect for carrying water for my next desert adventure.
View attachment 30327
If my measurements are correct, I can carry two Front runner floorboard water tanks. That's would give me over 20gal of potable water storage, over the 5gal bumper tank.
View attachment 30328
That's more then a weeks water needs, with no Resupply.

The Backseat weight was 85lbs. One Front Runner floorboard tank full, will weigh about 82lbs. So a wash. I get rid of dead weight, and replace it with essential water. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Next job, fab a way to easily secure the tanks for travel. Don't like heave flying objects in my vehicle if I'm in an accident. Will try and repurpose the seat bolts.
Awesome. How long did it take, I've heard it's a bear to get those seats out.

This is the route I need to go. I don't really need that much water as we stay mostly in the mountains or Northern US, but repurposing that space and having a platform for my two fur brats would be more useful. Getting that water down really helps with the COG.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I was at it for about 1.5 hours. It probably took me longer then it should. It was 107F, in The parking lot, here in Austin TX. Took a lot of breaks, to hydrate.

I agree with you. When I'm in areas with lots of water sources, I only use my 5gal tank, and filter as I go to keep it full. My next trip will be in the desert, Big Bend National Park, to scout out locations for OTG SouthWest 2017. The event will be in October, but we need to scout out the event now. since much of the Overlanding in the SouthWest is desert, I'm setting up my rig for this now. I want to make sure I have lots of extra water, in case others don't have enough.

Reactions: britz

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Weight plays a role, but size is the real issue for me. It's why I only have a small pop-up poop/shower tent instead of one of the nicer, larger models. I could use it, I just don't know where I'd put it.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Weight plays a role, but size is the real issue for me. It's why I only have a small pop-up poop/shower tent instead of one of the nicer, larger models. I could use it, I just don't know where I'd put it.
I feel your pain.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I just ditched my personal pack in protest of my BF's HUGE pack,which he won't modify. I got all my gear in a size small Sea-to-Summit compression bag. Only about 3lb savings, but 1/4 of the size locked down, small enough to fit in the "trench" of the JKU. Just lime with Kevin, space is as much a premium as weight, more room for my mutts to spread out.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
What is your weight loaded for an adventure. I tend to be over GVWR, before I run out of space to put stuff.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

We've never weighed in. Doing some quick estimates, I would imagine we're over too, but it's hard to say what additional capacity aftermarket rear shocks and springs might add.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

We've never weighed in. Doing some quick estimates, I would imagine we're over too, but it's hard to say what additional capacity aftermarket rear shocks and springs might add.
None. They might carry the load better and not squat, but they don't magically make axle loads go up. Weight ratings are based on a combination of factors.

Have to explain this all the time to truck guys. Airbags fix a visual problem, but if you're over axle weight rating, you still have a problem.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
So many factors that go into GVWR. I installed much larger breaks, so that my breaking distance wouldn't be increased, do to my heavy loads. my breaking distance is less loaded with the larger breaks, then with OEM breaks empty.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

None. They might carry the load better and not squat, but they don't magically make axle loads go up. Weight ratings are based on a combination of factors.

Have to explain this all the time to truck guys. Airbags fix a visual problem, but if you're over axle weight rating, you still have a problem.
Those are the only things I've changed, which was why I mentioned them exclusively. I understand that it's a combination of factors. And that most of us ignore the factory numbers. :innocent:

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

I will continue to reduce the weight of my vehicle, until I'm below my GVWR. Today I know I'm over. I have modified my Jeep to handle the extra load. I have upgraded my spring rates. Front axle: went from a 27 Spline front axle, to a 30 spline (same as D44 in a 3/4 tone truck). Rear axle, went from 30 to a 35 spline (same as a D60 in a 3/4 tone truck). Strengthened my axle carrier with sleeve and gussets. Upgraded my drive shafts that included going from 1310 to 1350 U-joints (used in 3/4 tone trucks). Stronger Ring and Pinion and carriers. My engine and transmission are used in vehicles with much more GVWR. Upgraded my breaks. My frame is the same as used in the military J-8, that is greater GVWR, so I think is can handle the extra load. All my steering component have been upgraded to same as used in 3/4 tone trucks. Tires have sufficient load capacity.

Have I forgotten anything, that would contribute to safely increasing my load capacity?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I looked at the FR tank. Empty it's 11lbs. I have one MSR 10l Dromedary bag that's close to bombproof (at least drag proof, long story) that weighs in at 10oz empty. I shove it in the rear footwell and draw off it, then roll up when dry, those two wells behind the FR tank in the pic would be perfect for those extra water carries. They take a lot of pressure, my dogs lay on them covered with blankets, but I wouldn't put something with hi lb to low s.f. ratio on them.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I looked at the FR tank. Empty it's 11lbs. I have one MSR 10l Dromedary bag that's close to bombproof (at least drag proof, long story) that weighs in at 10oz empty. I shove it in the rear footwell and draw off it, then roll up when dry, those two wells behind the FR tank in the pic would be perfect for those extra water carries. They take a lot of pressure, my dogs lay on them covered with blankets, but I wouldn't put something with hi lb to low s.f. ratio on them.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a very compelling argument. I just ordered 4 of the 10L MSR Dromedary bag's. I will try both systems out, and see which ones work the best for me. Do you have any recommendations on methods to secure the bags. One of the reasons I like the FR option, is that its rigid, and should be easy to strap down. How did you tie the soft bags down?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Since I still have my rear seat in the 4dr, my bags sit in the rear footwell and the top of part of the back seat locks them in place. They mold around the seat brackets well, but I've used the Strachit from Front Runner as well as crossed tie downs in previous setups in the back of my 2dr. Since you removed the carpet on yours, it'd be fairly easy to install extra tie down points where you want them. There's grommets and two side cords on the dromedary that provide several attachment options.

Last edited: