Overland Trash Systems

• HTML tutorial

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

While I think a Trasharoo is a great product I often wonder where all one trash comes from?

I travel a lot solo mind you and I get by with a small container (pictured) . Sometimes I need a grocery store bag when picking up others trash but the needs for something the size of a Trasharoo I dont see it? I do empty my small trash at every given opportunity to keep it at a minimum. What am I missing?

View attachment 28844
I generate a relatively small amount of trash personally, but I do like to be able to pick up other's trash as I find it, and bottom line, I'd rather have the trash outside my vehicle rather than inside. I haven't yet used my T-Roo yet (broken clip upon initial install) but I think it's going to be awesome. A hot bag of garbage sharing the interior of my rig on a long slow drive can be pretty unpleasant...

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
My trasharoo holds my potty (cleanwaste go) and as family of four the trash adds up aling with human waste. Occasionaly used for firewood as well. I've used it a lot so i can say it is One of my useful camping gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

My trasharoo holds my potty (cleanwaste go) and as family of four the trash adds up aling with human waste. Occasionaly used for firewood as well. I've used it a lot so i can say it is One of my useful camping gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crap (ha!), I forgot just got a bathroom set up, so I'm definitely gonna need it for that!

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I don't think anybody has mentioned it so I will: I use mostly paper plates, so I burn them in the camp fire. Reusables are washed. I produce very little trash except for recyclables (aka beer cans). I usually crush then just throw them in a box or trash bag.

Occasionally I use real military wag bags which don't (ideally) smell. Next time I'm using wag bags for an extended period, I'll be carrying a sealing 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Many campers/overlanders/4wd use bags similar to the trasharoo here in Australia but another item which is becoming very popular is this popup rubbish basket which can be used for dirty laundry too:

images.jpg

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

For those who don't have a tire mounted on the rear tail gate and don't want to put trash inside the car because of the car being full of passengers and/or avoiding nasty smells, what do you guys do?
If you are able to have a fire pit going at your camp site you could burn most of your rubbish to minimise what you end up having to carry with you. We do this often in places where you are allowed to have a fire pit and you would be surprised at what material you can burn to ash resulting in very minimal trash you need to take with you.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

For those who don't have a tire mounted on the rear tail gate and don't want to put trash inside the car because of the car being full of passengers and/or avoiding nasty smells, what do you guys do?
I don't have a spare on the back of my Tahoe. I loop my trasharoo through the glass and below the hatch. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

Influencer II

If you are able to have a fire pit going at your camp site you could burn most of your rubbish to minimise what you end up having to carry with you. We do this often in places where you are allowed to have a fire pit and you would be surprised at what material you can burn to ash resulting in very minimal trash you need to take with you.
Never thought of doing that... Doesn't it smell terrible and Isn't that worse for the environment? LOL

Influencer II

I don't have a spare on the back of my Tahoe. I loop my trasharoo through the glass and below the hatch. Let me know if you have any questions!

That's not a bad idea at all. How long are the straps? Unlike your tahoe, my 4runner has a sliding up/down glass, so I'd need to loop the straps over the top of the hatch.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

That's not a bad idea at all. How long are the straps? Unlike your tahoe, my 4runner has a sliding up/down glass, so I'd need to loop the straps over the top of the hatch.
I think they are long enough. There are guys on Instagram that have 4runners with trasharoos hanging like you described. I'll measure when I get home.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I generally throw most my trash in with my dirty clothes and let the washer sort it out, and what the washer doesn't get, most dryer lint trays work pretty darned good. Makes some pretty lint, I'll tell ya.

No, all seriousness aside, I'm kind of meticulous about waste and don't use much throw away stuff, try to minimize most other waste, burn what I can when not in a burn ban area (which is a lot of places sometimes in the desert), keep all organic food waste in a ziploc freezer bag and in the cooler or freezer 'til I can dump it somewhere safe, and put what little non-organic waste I do end up with in plastic grocery bags, doubled up when needed and tied tight, then thrown away in the next tight-lidded trash can I see. Burn cans, too, sometimes to get all the food scraps out so critters don't come around as much, then sift the cold ashes for anything metal, crush and dispose of properly.

As for firewood, learned a long time ago not to transport firewood from one area to the next, to reduce chances of moving destructive pine boring beetles and such that may cause new infestations. Some places won't let you bring in your own firewood, and others will fine you if they know.

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I Just hang the trasharoo on the tailgate, it doesn't need a tire to use it, they're just long straps that can hang from anything, a spare tire is just another thing to hang it from.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Alright, took the measurements. The top strap from the bag to the where the buckle clasp is 34" and the bottom strap is 37". And the bag is 24" from top strap to the bottom strap. So, it's 94" total "circumference". Easiest way to measure would be to get string/cordage and see how it would be. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Quicksilver

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Never thought of doing that... Doesn't it smell terrible and Isn't that worse for the environment? LOL
No it doesn't smell at all when you burn and its better for the environment rather than just burying it or throwing it at the tip. Items I take with me are certain plastics and metal cans which I take back to a recycling centre. When burning I don't do it all at once either. We just throw stuff in the fire as we finish with it. When we leave the camp ground the fire pit is nothing but ash :)

Influencer II

Alright, took the measurements. The top strap from the bag to the where the buckle clasp is 34" and the bottom strap is 37". And the bag is 24" from top strap to the bottom strap. So, it's 94" total "circumference". Easiest way to measure would be to get string/cordage and see how it would be. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much @Tahoe_Overland!

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I have an extra plano box on my roof rack. Trash goes in plastic yard bag, bag goes in box. When I get to a garbage can or dumpster that I can use, out it goes.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

That's handy information to have. Thanks for that!