Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey All,

I know of Trasharoo's, potato/onion sacks, trash bags etc for on trail trash holding, but want to know what you use for your rigs? I like the Trasharoo, but am looking for a cheaper system that I can hang from my tire carrier.

Any suggestions, or what do you use and where did you get it?

Thank you in advance.
Mike

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Trasharoo works great on my FJ, but it blocks my rear camera. We can't have it all can we.
Had mine for 4yrs and still awesome, just don't leave it installed or the sun will kill it!!!!!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Trasharoo is the way to go. They are not that expensive and they are built to last. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Also, when I contacted Trasharoo about getting a discount to purchase two bags for the Canyonlands Maze District rangers, they refused to hear me out. Instead, they just donated the Trasharoos to the rangers after hearing why they needed them.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Mike, I just got a trasharoo I will be using for the first time on our trip. I have an extra onion style bag I got from cal4wheel you can have for the trip if you want.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks @RockRanger. I know 4WP in Fresno has them, but they take a few days to order. I am going to be in LA tomorrow and may stop at a larger 4WP there to see if they have any Trasharoo in stock (I want OD Green). If they don't I'll either take your onion sack, or stop at Wally World and get a large laundry bag. HAHA.

Can't wait for this trip! I'm so excited I'm even thinking about trash!

Reactions: Fakawi Tribe

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

For the money, it is hard to best the Trasharoo. In the CA sun, mine lasts about a year before the uv rays turn the straps into dust. Some people install it just for trips, but mine sees as much use around town as it does on the trail. In fact, I've had one sitting in a box from Amazon since January. Once I get the truck back and I'm able to stand on two legs without crutches, it's going on the spare tire.

Reactions: Zargon

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I apologise if that looks like advertisings a product, it's not supposed to be, it is just an e-bay example of the type of bag I use for trash that I hook up to me spare wheel carrier.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I use a military duffle bag as a poor mans trasharoo. I didn't have money for the trasharoo at the time but had my old military duffle bag. It works pretty well. I place a trash bag inside as a liner. I use the shoulder straps to hook to the vehicle while in camp.

Sent from my LGLS996 using OB Talk mobile app

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I do the same thing with the Trasharoo. Heavy duty yard waste trash bags are perfect for keeping the 'roo clean. Plus it is easy to lift the bag out to empty when you find a dumpster. Spare bags store neatly in the mesh pouches or zipper flap pocket.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I've heard mixed reviews about the Trasharoo, seems like there's a steady amount of complaints about the clips breaking and the mesh ripping. I don't own one, but I was looking at them since it looks like you can strap them to a tailgate easily enough. The reviews have me iffy on it though.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've had mine a couple years now. The clips are doing fine and the mesh is intact. I see a lot of people load down the mesh with tools and other heavy stuff, that just isn't what it is made to do. I just keep a few spare plastic bin liners in my mesh pockets.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid. It keeps smells in when you close it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
I use this setup on long trips to wash clothes. Put a couple things in, water, soap, seal and drive down the trail. The movement of the vehicle agitates the wash. Get to camp, rinse out clothes, (to get soap out,) and hang on a tent line, limb riser, or whatever make shift clothes line you come up with and your good to go.

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I was going to suggest the 5 gallon bucket too. Round objects dont store too well..I also use a kitty litter bucket. They are more square and store a bit better. If you put a bag in the bucket first it sure helps cut down on the smell.