Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
I recently searched for a thread on Overland Dogs and really didn't find much. So, thus the reason for this post. I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else would be interested in the subject and had input for traveling with a dog? Ideas, comments, pics and more.

I may be weird but always travel with a dog. Basically wherever we go even little trips like going to town for grocery stores runs, post office, work and more. Of course Overland trips. I think any dog who is well mannered and disciplined,listens well... makes a good Overland dog. Some of the benefits, at least for me, are the following....
Mind you, I almost always travel alone unless I'm guiding fly fishers.

10 Benefits of Having an Overland Dog With.

1. Gives me someone to talk to. Most of my trips are off grid with no service.

2. Good for keeping an eye out for wildlife, predators and bad people and warning me ahead of time. Watch the camp.

3. Deterrent. That warning can be good for notifications to people who may have Ill intentions and they just go the other way when a dog alerts. Just last night we had to camp fairly close to others. Our dog started growling and barking around 2am. Have no idea what but she quit after a bit. Whatever it was must have heard the noise and left.

4. Because a dog can be taught to watch for wildlife, thus offering great opportunities for wildlife viewing and photography. They spot mammals before we do.

5. I heard someone say once... that a dog provides "meaningful touch. " Meaning, petting and talking to your animal helps us humans. This has been proven true with therapy dogs, hospital dogs and dogs for the elderly.

6. Dogs make us responsible for their care so require work on our part. That's good for us also!

7. Dogs require exercise so we need to walk them. Good daily exercise for us.

8. Bonding. There is a special thing between a human and a dog. Hard to define.

9. In my case almost all my guiding work and personal Overland fly fishing travel is done in grizzly bear country. So I put a big bell on my dog's collar and she bounces around all day as we hike up remote rivers fishing. She is one noisy bell constantly. Much noisier than a human wearing a bell. Give the bears notice well ahead of time to go the other way!

10. Dogs can carry their own packs and food. There have been a couple of times I've had to raid my dogs water bottles. Helpful. I haven't tried the dog biscuits yet.

Non Benefits of an Overland dog.

1. The big one for me is poop pick up. In the big city's and other places one needs to be responsible and pick up those warm smelly leftovers. I don't like it. If traveling with others it's a good idea to do this in camp so no landmines get stepped on by your crew.

2. Some people just don't like dogs, especially someone else's dog. I bring an extra camp chair for my dog and tell her to hop up in it and "stay" there. That way she is not wandering around camp bothering people.

3. Sometimes it's just best to leave your dog at home if traveling with those that don't like dogs.

4. Dog hair everywhere in the vehicle! Ahhhhh! One kind of gets used to it and the extra cleanup. Or get a breed that does not shed!

5. Cost of owning a dog raises the monthly budget. Vet bills, yearly vaccinations, kennels, registration and food are some. Not as costly as horses though!

6. National Parks do not allow dogs in them or they have to stay in the Overland Vehicle. Not an easy visit.

So is it worth all the cost and hassle? Well for us... you bet it is. Maybe we are just dog people. Maybe you are also.

My dog's name is Orvis, a seven year old female Belgian Malinois we got at eight weeks. We are on our third Mal now. Each one has been excellent, long living, well behaved dogs. The breed requires lots of daily exercise so that's good for me... also and they hold up well on the long fishing hikes and can carry a larger pack. Love to hear about your thoughts on having an Overland dog along? And about your dog and pics.

Reminder...
As I've said before, if any of you get up Yellowstone, look me up. We provide a small apartment below our house on the Wind River in Wyoming and it's all free. Love to entertain Overlanders. If we are not around we hide a key so you can let yourself in. About 48 miles east of Grand Teton National Park. Special instructions on my profile page if interested. No more than two nights please and we just ask you to keep it clean for the next folks. If anyone messes, steals or leaves it dirty we will stop this service. Otherwise things have worked out well.20170716_014735(0)1.jpg20170819_110238(0)-picsayhjjr.jpg

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

"I recently searched for a thread on Overland Dogs and really didn't find much."

I had a great dog, that for 16 years went on canoe trips and backpacking trips with me. Never chased wildlife , never left camp. Always a joy to bring along. Lost her 2 years ago.

Didn't know there was such a thing as an "Overland Dog" though. Pretty much just called it a dog and great companion. I was just reminiscing about our time spent with our dog out in the wilderness with my "Overland Wife".

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Great list of positives for your hound. Mine is similar.

There is a mostly pictures thread for hounds.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Arailt

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
"overland hounds" are great! nothing like having beer and snacks on even the longest hike....
"overland wives" complain too much about feet hurting, straps cutting off their circulation...blah...blah...blah

1645885186648.png

Last edited:

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

Mal! We are picking up our working line gsd in 4 weeks, cant wait! Loved our rot/gsd mix we had to part with this fall

steve

Reactions: 9Mike2

Okieflyr

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Philadelphia
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Barnes
We often travel with our Corgi. He doesn’t care for the drive but he tolerates it. Once we arrive he’s all in on the adventure.
He loves the rtt. He’s relatively small compared to other breeds, but he’s healthy weight and solid.
We have a friend outside of Cody and that is some beautiful country. Camping in the Tetons is on my bucket list.D6A046E7-A32F-41A1-B850-681C9D5B4FDB.jpeg

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
"I recently searched for a thread on Overland Dogs and really didn't find much."

I had a great dog, that for 16 years went on canoe trips and backpacking trips with me. Never chased wildlife , never left camp. Always a joy to bring along. Lost her 2 years ago.

Didn't know there was such a thing as an "Overland Dog" though. Pretty much just called it a dog and great companion. I was just reminiscing about our time spent with our dog out in the wilderness with my "Overland Wife".
Haha! I have one of those overland wives too! Never even knew it. :)
I was wondering about a new dog - lost my buddy after 15 yrs. I was debating on the breed, another Lab, or something else. Now I know! An overland!

Just poking fun. Great list - totally agree. :)

-Dan

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Haha! I have one of those overland wives too! Never even knew it. :)
I was wondering about a new dog - lost my buddy after 15 yrs. I was debating on the breed, another Lab, or something else. Now I know! An overland!

Just poking fun. Great list - totally agree. :)

-Dan
Just make sure, when you get your "Overland Dog", you only get an "Overland leash" for it. It's like a regular leash, but we call it "Overland Leash" and charge $30 more for it.

(Typed from my "Overland Keyboard"):smirk:

I do miss that dog, though. Every day. She was absolute perfection and a great companion in the outdoors.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

The latest dog is a black Lab, we have had really good luck with our Labs. We use to raise Huskies and Malamutes, they make great family dogs too, Read as part of their pack! Our current Lab came from a breeder that raises them for Service Dogs and Sniffer Dogs for LEO's, Sadie couldn't past the tests as she has check out everything in her area ...and she is too nosey, she will run down scents to no end, great flushing dog. 20170828_105008.jpg

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

The latest dog is a black Lab, we have had really good luck with our Labs. We use to raise Huskies and Malamutes, they make great family dogs too, Read as part of their pack! Our current Lab came from a breeder that raises them for Service Dogs and Sniffer Dogs for LEO's, Sadie couldn't past the tests as she has check out everything in her area ...and she is too nosey, she will run down scents to no end, great flushing dog. 
I have one of those Sniffer Dogs.
A yellow Lab sourced and trained on bombs and "switched over" for my specific need for my business.
She's awesome at what she does, and while she never gets distracted in training, if there is a garbage can with any type of food in there out on a job, it can be challenging to get her back in focus sometimes.
But....like they say. If your Lab won't eat, take it right to the Vet.

My working girl is a sweetheart, great companion, awesome to work with and very obedient buy will never be an outdoor companion. Her heart is in her work.20211229_090510.jpg

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
The latest dog is a black Lab, we have had really good luck with our Labs. We use to raise Huskies and Malamutes, they make great family dogs too, Read as part of their pack! Our current Lab came from a breeder that raises them for Service Dogs and Sniffer Dogs for LEO's, Sadie couldn't past the tests as she has check out everything in her area ...and she is too nosey, she will run down scents to no end, great flushing dog. View attachment 224784
My last 2 dogs were black labs. I got to hold George as he passed, like losing family after 15 yes. Hard to replace him. He helped raise my kids ( we were single parents).
-Dan

• Sad

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Shelby is our Black Lab we got as a pup in 2018. She was very small and would ride on the console of the JKU. Sometimes she would fall off and walk under my seat to get back up front. Shelby is almost 4 years old and is taller than most Labs I have been around. Here are a few photos of Shelby.

July 2018

August 2019

August 2020

August 2021

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I recently searched for a thread on Overland Dogs and really didn't find much. So, thus the reason for this post. I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else would be interested in the subject and had input for traveling with a dog? Ideas, comments, pics and more.

I may be weird but always travel with a dog. Basically wherever we go even little trips like going to town for grocery stores runs, post office, work and more. Of course Overland trips. I think any dog who is well mannered and disciplined,listens well... makes a good Overland dog. Some of the benefits, at least for me, are the following....
Mind you, I almost always travel alone unless I'm guiding fly fishers.

10 Benefits of Having an Overland Dog With.

1. Gives me someone to talk to. Most of my trips are off grid with no service.

2. Good for keeping an eye out for wildlife, predators and bad people and warning me ahead of time. Watch the camp.

3. Deterrent. That warning can be good for notifications to people who may have Ill intentions and they just go the other way when a dog alerts. Just last night we had to camp fairly close to others. Our dog started growling and barking around 2am. Have no idea what but she quit after a bit. Whatever it was must have heard the noise and left.

4. Because a dog can be taught to watch for wildlife, thus offering great opportunities for wildlife viewing and photography. They spot mammals before we do.

5. I heard someone say once... that a dog provides "meaningful touch. " Meaning, petting and talking to your animal helps us humans. This has been proven true with therapy dogs, hospital dogs and dogs for the elderly.

6. Dogs make us responsible for their care so require work on our part. That's good for us also!

7. Dogs require exercise so we need to walk them. Good daily exercise for us.

8. Bonding. There is a special thing between a human and a dog. Hard to define.

9. In my case almost all my guiding work and personal Overland fly fishing travel is done in grizzly bear country. So I put a big bell on my dog's collar and she bounces around all day as we hike up remote rivers fishing. She is one noisy bell constantly. Much noisier than a human wearing a bell. Give the bears notice well ahead of time to go the other way!

10. Dogs can carry their own packs and food. There have been a couple of times I've had to raid my dogs water bottles. Helpful. I haven't tried the dog biscuits yet.

Non Benefits of an Overland dog.

1. The big one for me is poop pick up. In the big city's and other places one needs to be responsible and pick up those warm smelly leftovers. I don't like it. If traveling with others it's a good idea to do this in camp so no landmines get stepped on by your crew.

2. Some people just don't like dogs, especially someone else's dog. I bring an extra camp chair for my dog and tell her to hop up in it and "stay" there. That way she is not wandering around camp bothering people.

3. Sometimes it's just best to leave your dog at home if traveling with those that don't like dogs.

4. Dog hair everywhere in the vehicle! Ahhhhh! One kind of gets used to it and the extra cleanup. Or get a breed that does not shed!

5. Cost of owning a dog raises the monthly budget. Vet bills, yearly vaccinations, kennels, registration and food are some. Not as costly as horses though!

6. National Parks do not allow dogs in them or they have to stay in the Overland Vehicle. Not an easy visit.

So is it worth all the cost and hassle? Well for us... you bet it is. Maybe we are just dog people. Maybe you are also.

My dog's name is Orvis, a seven year old female Belgian Malinois we got at eight weeks. We are on our third Mal now. Each one has been excellent, long living, well behaved dogs. The breed requires lots of daily exercise so that's good for me... also and they hold up well on the long fishing hikes and can carry a larger pack. Love to hear about your thoughts on having an Overland dog along? And about your dog and pics.

Reminder...
As I've said before, if any of you get up Yellowstone, look me up. We provide a small apartment below our house on the Wind River in Wyoming and it's all free. Love to entertain Overlanders. If we are not around we hide a key so you can let yourself in. About 48 miles east of Grand Teton National Park. Special instructions on my profile page if interested. No more than two nights please and we just ask you to keep it clean for the next folks. If anyone messes, steals or leaves it dirty we will stop this service. Otherwise things have worked out well.View attachment 224023View attachment 224024
We were in Yellowstone last May. Gardiner entrance and rode through southbound to the Tetons. Stunningly beautiful.

Trying to plan a return for this year because there is SO much we listed but couldnt get to for time constraints.

Dogs really make the trip, the hike, the camp. The life

• Love

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Our 4 year old rambunctious blue heeler has been on every camping trip with us since we adopted her at 8 months. As a matter of fact she slept in our RTT for the first time a couple weekends ago and did great. Now just need to figure out a better way to get her in and out of the tent.

We took a month long, 4500 mile road trip with her last summer and she did amazingly well, honestly really surprised me how well she did.
I almost think she is smart enough to realize that if she is going to get invited on these types of trips with us she is going to have to behave right.

She would ride in the car all day and then would be perfectly chill when we got to camp. Which is not normal for her usually wild self.

We visited 4 national parks. We would put her in a doggy daycare for the day or overnight if we wanted to camp. Yes, adds to the cost of the trip but way cheaper than boarding her the whole time.

She did so well that we are planning on taking her to the boundary waters with us this summer for our 6 day canoe trip.

The only time I got a little freaked out is while we were camping on our friends 330 acres near Whitefish, MT for a week. She would just disappear into the bush for an hour. Lots of wolves, coyotes and bear in that country.

My wife is the photog so I don't have any pics of her from that trip, but here she is sitting on a random log.KIMG1809.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ceg and 9Mike2