First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Oxendine

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been an Amateur Radio Operator since I was 14, since around 1987. I was a geek before it was cool. Ha ha.

Just a few things to mention, for the benefit of all:
  1. HAM isn't an acronym, by the way. You don't need to capitalize it. Ham is just slang for Amateur Radio Operator. There are stories of why that is, but none are proven. I like to "ham it up" aka "talk a lot", so that definition works for me.
  2. I'm also surprised GMRS hasn't really taken off. Last I looked it was something like $65/5yrs per family which means all your vehicles can have GMRS radios in them. You can do fancy things with GMRS like build repeaters, which extends communications significantly. And you can have heavy duty, commercial radios, which high output power and good external antennas, which are all game changers. You can also share frequencies with those folks that are just carrying little FRS radios around. They may still have a hard time getting to you, but you can easily get out to them. I think GMRS should be the primary trail rig and frequencies. It's catching on, but CB is hard to dislodge from the culture.
  3. CB is limited to 5 watts which means there isn't much output power. And given the frequency, antenna size on a vehicle is going to hamper the ability to really do well on CB frequencies for "mid" distances. AND CB frequencies, to do well, are really, really dependent on the sun spot cycle, oddly enough, which is why CB was super popular in the 70's (high point in the 11year sun spot cycle) and why they pretty much suck now (low point). There are more technical reasons why CB is aweful, but I guess if you can hear the other person and they can hear you, to each their own.
  4. Ham radio is kind of overkill for trail communications, but not if you want to do fun radio things once your'e on a mountain top. There was a year long "event" in 2016 called National Parks On The Air. People would drive out to a national park, set up a temporary station for the day and see how many people they could contact. This is with a small, but very capable ham radio that operated on many frequencies and typically with 100 watts or less, intu a portable antenna. You can talk across the country easily on many frequencies and a portable antenna. You can't call someone specifically, unless you both agree to be on that frequency at that time, but if you just want general, or emergency long distance communications (with some limitations), ham radio is the way to go. The only thing two people need is radios and an antenna. Easy.
  5. Studying to get a license for ham radio is trivial, but you will want to learn a little about electronics. With the entry license ($15 and then take a test), you can talk on a few different frequency "bands" including those most commonly used for offroad adventures: 2m and 70cm (refers to the length of the radio frequency, 2 meters and 70 centimeters, ~145mhz, just above the FM radio band, and ~440mhz). You can also talk on 10m (28mhz) which is in the same neighborhood as the CB frequencies. 10m is also not good right now because of low sun spots.
I'm president of the local amateur radio club in Maple Valley, WA. Ask me anything, happy to help.

Chris
Ham radio (FCC issued) call sign: KA0ZRW
GMRS call sign: WQXR317
Maple Valley, WA

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, manual, 4" OME lift, JKS adjustable trackbars front and back, JKS sway bar quick disconnects, on 33's.
Thank you Chris,
That was a very informative post. I'll definitely be asking you questions. So, due to the position of the sun spots you're basically saying that CB is not going to be great, period, until sun spots are in a different position? Other than trail comms with people next to you. Do you have any suggestions for what or where to learn about the Ham radio. (ie. websites/books) I'm a complete newb so forgive all the dumb questions.
I have a question I have Midland micromobile and was going to upgrade the antenna but was wondering if it had to be tuned like a CB

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'm encouraged that so many people here still use CB these days. My buds and I settled on CB for our coms because ham is insanely difficult to get licensed for in Canada, and we weren't interested in spending the huge money to get UHF and then spending more money to pay the yearly user fees to use it.

By contrast, CB is dirt cheap to get started and has no user fees or licenses at all. It would be nice if we could use better tech, but it's cost prohibitive currently. If any Canadian radio enthusiasts on here know different - ie an inexpensive radio system with better range than cb but no licenses or fees, I'd love to know about it.

Discovered this:
http://www.phillipjboucher.com/frsgmrs.html

Apparently GMRS is neutered in Canada to only 2 wats, and although it requires no license, it also cannot have an external antenna, making mobile vehicle type units with separate antennas a no-no.

The nanny state strikes again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thelgord
hi all I'm planning a visit to the Americas from top to bottom and was wondering what licenses are needed for a visitor?
I'm still in the building stage (planning) and already have 2 handheld walky-talkies and a CB 40ch. i also plan to get a Sat-Phone.
cheers all

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

CB has no licensing requirements of any sort in North America. GMRS varies between Canada and the US, Ham requires licenses in both countries, not sure if a license in one allows you to operate in the other as a visitor.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ok. Not sure about GMRS but I doubt it transfers. Ham, you have to get written permission from the telecoms commission in question (FCC in USA) to operate in that country I believe and might be issued a call sign for use in that country or amend your call to represent location /V* or V**/your call

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

GMRS requires no license in Canada, but the restrictions on power and the specifications for the equipment are different than in the US, so technically you can't use a US high power GMRS unit with a separate antenna in Canada, but realistically nobody is going to know or care if you do, so I wouldn't be to worried about coming as a visitor and using it.